Thread: Jets have re-signed LB Bryan Thomas.

Jets have re-signed LB Bryan Thomas.

Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSJets
    As expected, the #Jets have re-signed LB Bryan Thomas.

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Bryan Thomas is in the locker room

they need him to shore up the run defense. badly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks C Mart.

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    Bryan Thomas is back with the #Jets. Says he was angry he got released, but ok with it now.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryan Thomas had a simple, strong reaction to being cut by the New York Jets.

"Pissed. Pissed. Ain't no other (way to describe it). Pissed. Mad. That's all I can say about it," Thomas said.

The team re-signed Thomas on Monday, two days after releasing him to make room on the roster for another player.

The team told Thomas that they'd bring him back, but that didn't make the decision to cut him any easier for Thomas to stomach.

"That was the plan, but who knows," he said. "You never know how this business works. You see transactions and different things every day. They did tell me that I would be back, but I didn't know."

Thomas, the longest-tenured Jet, added that he's "happy to be back" and doesn't have any ill will for the organization. He was the Jets' first-round pick of the 2002 draft (22nd overall) and was a vested veteran whose $900,000 salary was guaranteed after he made the opening-day roster, so Thomas didn't lose any money when he was released.

"I can't hold any animosity. Like I said, it's a business. My main focus is getting back on the field and helping this team," Thomas said. "At first, was I angry? Yeah. Because this is a job. This is what I love, this is what I've done all my life."

Thomas found out on Saturday that the Jets had decided to cut him. The 33-year-old was told it was for "the better of the team."

The move was made because the Jets expected to be down to four cornerbacks for the Miami game with Ellis Lankster hurt. They wanted to sign DB Donnie Fletcher from the practice squad to give them an extra option. Thomas was hobbled by a hamstring injury and wasn't going to play.
    Lankster, though, ended up playing and Fletcher was inactive.

Thomas watched the game from home and was back in the locker room Monday, greeting some of his teammates. He said it would have been difficult to join another team after spending his whole career with the Jets.

"I've been a Jet for 11 years. I wouldn't want to play for anybody else, no other organization. I love this organization. I've been here since I was a 21-year-old kid," said Thomas, who plans to be healthy enough to play Sunday against San Francisco. "This is where I always wanted to be and this is where I want to stay. I want to retire as a Jet ... that's my focus."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...medium=twitter
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-24-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Bryan Thomas is back with the #Jets. Says he was angry he got released, but ok with it now.
    Weird, I believe Cimini wrote the other day how thankful BT was the Jets brought him back and understood his temporary release.

Either way, he's not going to fix the run defense. He's as slow footed as Pace, Scott, and Harris. We need someone that can get to the edge quickly (i.e. Davis).

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Weird, I believe Cimini wrote the other day how thankful BT was the Jets brought him back and understood his temporary release.

Either way, he's not going to fix the run defense. He's as slow footed as Pace, Scott, and Harris. We need someone that can get to the edge quickly (i.e. Davis).
    All true. He should improve the play recognition though.

Would have preferred a receiver.

Great another slow old linebacker!! Maybe Marvin Jones is available?

What a circus!

I like BT... didn't quite know what to expect coming off last season's injury...

no shock that they resigned him.. His salary was 100% guaranteed for this year anyway (after week 1).. thought they documented cause for release driven by DB depth in week 3.....

He's going to help their run defense... no doubt....

unfortunately.... we don't have a pass rush that will help us in 3rd down efficiency...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

Actually it will help the run defense quite a bit as long as he is over his hammy injury.

BT's specialty is setting the edge vs the run and he is the best LB'er on the Jets roster at doing it. It doesn't necessarily take a great amount of speed to set the edge, it's more discipline and football instincts then anything else.

BT said hamstring is fine and "everything else is working and lubricated good," so he should be ready to play vs. 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    What a circus!
    Because they released a vet who wasn't healthy enough to play Sunday, to sign an insurance policy CB in case Lankster couldn't play Sunday and then resigning Thomas today? How is that a circus?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Actually it will help the run defense quite a bit as long as he is over his hammy injury.

BT's specialty is setting the edge vs the run and he is the best LB'er on the Jets roster at doing it. It doesn't necessarily take a great amount of speed to set the edge, it's more discipline and football instincts then anything else.
    I didn't say set the edge, I said GET to the edge. Thomas is fine in his initial containment, but if a run play breaks down, he has absolutely no sideline to sideline speed left to chase down the runner. None of the Jets LBers do, except for maybe Davis.

The Jets have plenty of run-stoppers, but no one with any actual SPEED to bottle up SPEED backs.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    BT said hamstring is fine and "everything else is working and lubricated good," so he should be ready to play vs. 49ers.
    That's what she said.

Really though - I've never heard a dude say he was "well lubricated."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    That's what she said.

Really though - I've never heard a dude say he was "well lubricated."
    You'd hear it pretty often at Candlestick.