Thread: CB Donnie Fletcher - Scouting Analysis

Veteran

CB Donnie Fletcher - Scouting Analysis

Bio/Scouting Analysis from CBS Sports

Man Coverage: Wasn't asked to play in press corner though his length and physicality make him a potential fit in this role. Experienced in off-man coverage, demonstrating a low, quick back pedal with a relatively smooth hip turn. Appears to have only average straight-line speed overall, however. Zone Coverage: Quality zone defender due to his recognition skills and an above average burst downhill to the ball. Understands where the holes in the zone are and reads the quarterback's eyes, breaking on passes as they're thrown to be in good position to defend the throw or at minimum make the tackle shortly after the completion. Will drop off his assignment and step in front of another receiver due

to his understanding of zone coverage (INT vs. ND). Trusts his eyes too much, at times, and can be victimized when he tries to break on an underneath route and is beaten by a double move or scrambling quarterback (Nevada). Ball Skills: Good ball skills for the position. Can extend outside of his frame to make the interception and catches passes that hit him in the hands. More instinctive than he is explosive in breaking on the ball, however. Times his leaps well to compete for jump balls. Good size, leaping ability. Run Support: Quickly reacts to the run, slipping past most receiver blocks and attacking the line of scrimmage. Aggressively fights through receiver blocks when he is challenged, showing upper body strength and a swim move to escape. Willing to take on the bigger ball-carrier. Good effort in downfield pursuit. Tackling: Generally a reliable open-field tackler. Brings his shoulder and typically wraps his arms securely, so that even when the ball-carrier is able to remain upright following the hit, Fletcher is able to trip him up by hanging on to his feet. Closes quickly on underneath routes, often timing his hit shortly after the ball arrives. Gets the job done, but isn't particularly physical. Intangibles: Started four games as a true freshman, contributing three interceptions to Boston College's nation-leading 26 picks in 2008. Enrolled early at Boston College (January 2008). Enrolled in the Lynch School of Education. Was unable to play in the 2011 season opener against Northwestern due to back pain. Durable player. Played in 51 games for the Eagles, including starting 31 times

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1619678

I watched Fletcher leading up to the draft a couple of times and think he's absolutely brutal. Just doesn't have the necessary change of direction in my opinion.

That said, I'm hoping for the best.

Lankster is probably the more important guy, one big positive with him is that he at least seems to be a very good tackler. Something we don't get with Wilson and Cromartie most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I watched Fletcher leading up to the draft a couple of times and think he's absolutely brutal. Just doesn't have the necessary change of direction in my opinion.

That said, I'm hoping for the best.

Lankster is probably the more important guy, one big positive with him is that he at least seems to be a very good tackler. Something we don't get with Wilson and Cromartie most of the time.
    Cromartie looks noticeably stronger this year. His arms look like he has been hitting the weight room. And he did level Jovorskie "if i eat another hamburger I will be an Offensive Linemane" Lane on a pass in the flat.

Anybody know his negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Anybody know his negatives?

Biography: Two-year starter who finished with 35 tackles/2 interceptions/5 pass breakups as a senior after putting up 43/5/3 the prior year.

Positives: Well-sized, opportunistic cornerback who flashes skill. Aggressive and a hard-hitter who lays his shoulders into opponents. Displays a good break to the throw out of his plant, works hard to get a hand in and fights to break up the pass. Effectively positions himself against opponents when the ball is in the air. Does a nice job diagnosing the action. Relatively effective staying with receivers out of their breaks.

Negatives: Played below expectations as a senior. Not a strong open-field tackler. Has marginal deep speed.

Analysis: Fletcher displayed a lot of skill coming into his senior season yet at times looks very average on the field in 2011. He offers potential as a zone cornerback who can be used in dime situations.

Projection: 6-7

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/78725.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Notes: Was coached by Ted Ginn, Sr. as an Ohio prep. Saw action in all 14 games, making four starts, as a true freshman in 2008 and posted 36 tackles, two pass breakups and three interceptions. In ’09, he tallied 51-1-1 with half a tackle for loss in 13 games (three starts). Started all 13 games at the field corner in ’10, recording 56-3-5 with 2 1⁄2 tackles for loss. Suffered a concussion against Virginia. Posted 35-5-2 while starting 11 of the 12 games in which he played in ’11. Missed the season opener against Northwestern with a back injury. Team captain.

Positives: Big, lean, athletic build. Very good eyes and instincts. Aware and assignment-sound in zone coverage — leverages the field and has a feel for routes. Good ball skills and reactions. Intercepts outside his frame. Flashes hitting ability when he has a clean shot. Football-smart, durable, four-year starter.

Negatives: Has short arms and small hands. Ability to press is a question mark. Average speed, twitch and closing burst. Hip stiffness shows in transition. Tends to clutch and grab. Underpowered, wrap-and-drag tackler. Production and performance fell off as a senior. Only shows up on game day. Questionable character.

Summary: More smooth than sudden, Fletcher is a monotone, cover-2 cornerback who was used almost exclusively in disciplined, zone coverage in college. Has appealing size, ball skills and special-teams ability, but must recover from a disappointing season and poor Senior Bowl week showing.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...ie-fletcher-4/
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.

A tall, long-armed corner with an athletic build and solid girth muscle tone through his lower half. Looks a bit unnatural sitting into his drop initially off the line as he sits a bit high and gets doubled over at the waist. Does a better job keeping his back base under him in his drop, but has a tendency to allow his pad level to rise the more depth he's asked to get off the line. Will get leggy when trying to dive on throws under him. Possesses quick feet and is well balanced in his drop, but his transition when asked to close underneath possesses a lot of wasted motion as he will rock backwards in order to regain balance. He will get really overextended with his plant foot. Does possess an initial explosive element to his game when driving on throws. Takes good angles toward the football and uses his length well to get his hands on the play, but too often gives up too many easy completions under him. Will tackle on the football with a vengeance after the catch. Possesses natural power, uses his length well to wrap and can disengage ball from man. Isn't the same type of force vs. the run game, but is a willing tackler.

Displays good re-direction skills and quickness out of his breaks. Sinks his hips well for a bigger corner. Again does get a bit leggy, but can sit low and is fluid enough to cleanly re-direct. Possesses only average straight-line speed for his size, plays like a 4.5 guy and has a tendency to prematurely open up his hips when asked to run down the field. Doesn't have a great initial first step, but tracks the ball well, is physical and knows how to look and lean. Locates the deep ball well, possesses good balance and can go up and high point the play. Looks comfortable in zone concepts as well. Reads the action well in front of him, will jump off receivers in his zone and correctly find the football. Possesses good play speed in zone because of his plus instincts and routinely is getting early jumps on the football. Isn't real quick laterally off the line when asked to press. Has a tendency to lose balance and will give up initial separation. Recovers well in tight areas, but isn't a guy who can make up for a false step vs. NFL caliber receivers.

Impression: Possesses good size, ball skills and has a natural feel in coverage. Gets a bit leggy, but can sink his hips and get out of his breaks. Looks like an ideal cover two type corner at the next level with some man-to-man upside.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=35964

For most people, a back injury would be a major setback. For Donnie Fletcher, it meant sitting out the season-opener of his senior season against Northwestern. By the second week, Fletcher was back on the starting line-up, where he would remain for the season.

The 6’0”, 201lb cornerback from Boston College is known for his physicality. His instincts for the game also set him apart, something he showed off on January 23rd in the Senior Bowl. During the season, he also showed off by putting up some big numbers, including two interceptions (North Carolina State and Miami) and 21 solo tackles.

Most importantly, Fletcher has a great amount of self-confidence. If there is ever any doubt in his ability, Fletcher has no reservation in proving it wrong. It is that mentality that took him so far at Boston College and will take him further at the next level.

What is the strongest aspect of your game?
    I would say it would my physicality as a cornerback and being able to jam receivers at the line and also being well rounded enough to cover the quicker receivers. I am a very well rounded CB.

How do you feel you did in the Senior Bowl?
    I feel like I did really well. Coming from Boston College where we played majority zone coverage, I feel like I needed to prove I could play man-to-man. I definitely feel like I proved that I can play man-to-man and did it against the top competition in the country. Coming into the season, I was ranked within the top corners but experiencing an injury set me back. It was good to come into the Senior Bowl and prove I am an elite corner and can play with the best of the best.

What is the most memorable part of being a Boston College Eagle?
    Two memories that really stand out are first being nominated captain by my peers. It is such a compliment to be voted in by your teammates. Secondly would be when I was able to participate in the ACC Championship.

If you could compare your game to one NFL CB, who would it be?
    I would say my game has many similarities to Nnamdi Asomugha of the Philadelphia Eagles. We are both physical CBs who have the ability to jam receivers at the line and cover effectively as well. Also, he can make tackles on ball carriers.

Who is the best WR you have faced in college?
    I would have to say WR Hakeem Nicks from UNC. He was fast and an unbelievable playmaker.

If I were an NFL GM, why would I want to pick CB Donnie Fletcher?
    You would want to pick me because I am a competitor and well-rounded CB. I am a big physical CB and at the same time, I have the ability to drop back and cover the quicker receivers.

Where are you training for the NFL Draft?
    I am training with Fischer sports down in Arizona.

Pre-game music: Drake
    Favorite Food: Lasagna
    Favorite NFL team: The team that drafts me

http://thenfldraftinsider.blogspot.c...cb-donnie.html

Sounds like another Dwight Lowery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    For most people, a back injury would be a major setback. For Donnie Fletcher, it meant sitting out the season-opener of his senior season against Northwestern. By the second week, Fletcher was back on the starting line-up, where he would remain for the season.

The 60, 201lb cornerback from Boston College is known for his physicality. His instincts for the game also set him apart, something he showed off on January 23rd in the Senior Bowl. During the season, he also showed off by putting up some big numbers, including two interceptions (North Carolina State and Miami) and 21 solo tackles.

Most importantly, Fletcher has a great amount of self-confidence. If there is ever any doubt in his ability, Fletcher has no reservation in proving it wrong. It is that mentality that took him so far at Boston College and will take him further at the next level.

What is the strongest aspect of your game?
    I would say it would my physicality as a cornerback and being able to jam receivers at the line and also being well rounded enough to cover the quicker receivers. I am a very well rounded CB.

How do you feel you did in the Senior Bowl?
    I feel like I did really well. Coming from Boston College where we played majority zone coverage, I feel like I needed to prove I could play man-to-man. I definitely feel like I proved that I can play man-to-man and did it against the top competition in the country. Coming into the season, I was ranked within the top corners but experiencing an injury set me back. It was good to come into the Senior Bowl and prove I am an elite corner and can play with the best of the best.

What is the most memorable part of being a Boston College Eagle?
    Two memories that really stand out are first being nominated captain by my peers. It is such a compliment to be voted in by your teammates. Secondly would be when I was able to participate in the ACC Championship.

If you could compare your game to one NFL CB, who would it be?
    I would say my game has many similarities to Nnamdi Asomugha of the Philadelphia Eagles. We are both physical CBs who have the ability to jam receivers at the line and cover effectively as well. Also, he can make tackles on ball carriers.

Who is the best WR you have faced in college?
    I would have to say WR Hakeem Nicks from UNC. He was fast and an unbelievable playmaker.

If I were an NFL GM, why would I want to pick CB Donnie Fletcher?
    You would want to pick me because I am a competitor and well-rounded CB. I am a big physical CB and at the same time, I have the ability to drop back and cover the quicker receivers.

Where are you training for the NFL Draft?
    I am training with Fischer sports down in Arizona.

Pre-game music: Drake
    Favorite Food: Lasagna
    Favorite NFL team: The team that drafts me

http://thenfldraftinsider.blogspot.c...cb-donnie.html
    Thank you C Mart!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Thank you C Mart!
    Thanks..But I didid this before reading he's been waived again...Hopefully he goes back on the PS to develop
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Didn't we just release him?