Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Wonder how Pats fans feel w/o refs in their back pockets?

  1. #1
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wonder how Pats fans feel w/o refs in their back pockets?

    A lot of calls went against NE last night and the topper was that FG (which WAS good IMHO). Now maybe Pats fans know what it's like to play 2 teams at a time. Great day of football yesterday. Hope for more of the same...

    Live by the tuck rule, die by the FG, I guess.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a Pats fan, but I never once felt we ever had the refs in our back pocket. What I did know is that the official refs had a certain standard of refereeing and good teams will practice to make sure they stay within the rules of what the refs called.

    But if the regular refs were in our back pocket, then what the hell happened during the SB safety call and the 3rd down on defense where the Giants got another opportunity?

    Maybe we should have paid them more...

    Truth is, in case you are not noticing a lot of teams are getting screwed over by the bad referees. Jets will likely suffer similar outcomes if these refs stay on the field, and I highly doubt you will be making posts like this endorsing this garbage when that happens to you.

    2012 season = The "defensive holding, 5 yards penalty automatic first down" season.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 09-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    They said we'll get you there but ya gotta finish yourselves, hah.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post
    A lot of calls went against NE last night and the topper was that FG (which WAS good IMHO). Now maybe Pats fans know what it's like to play 2 teams at a time. Great day of football yesterday. Hope for more of the same...
    We learned that already in the 2005 playoffs against Denver, among many other times, thank you.

    Love the mythology of the Patriots getting all the calls. The home team usually gets the key borderline calls. Sometimes that's the Patriots and sometimes that's their opponents.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, one of the reasons I like the replacement refs is because they don't care who you are. The normal referees are a bunch of cowards and definitely cater to the likes of Belichick.

    These guys screw up, but at least they are equal opportunity screw ups.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    They said we'll get you there but ya gotta finish yourselves, hah.
    LOL!!!!!

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    To be honest, one of the reasons I like the replacement refs is because they don't care who you are. The normal referees are a bunch of cowards and definitely cater to the likes of Belichick.

    These guys screw up, but at least they are equal opportunity screw ups.
    Fair point. That is exactly why I enjoy Olympic hoops so much. The international refs make their share of idiotic calls, but at least they don't automatically send Dwyane Wade et al to the line every time they take the ball into the lane in the 4th quarter.

  8. #8
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    As a Pats fan, but I never once felt we ever had the refs in our back pocket.


    Ya dont say!






    -

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post
    A lot of calls went against NE last night and the topper was that FG (which WAS good IMHO). Now maybe Pats fans know what it's like to play 2 teams at a time. Great day of football yesterday. Hope for more of the same...

    Live by the tuck rule, die by the FG, I guess.
    Grow up. Just ridiculous.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest thing is that nobody respects these refs at all.

    If you are a wideout, you run a streak and if you get touched AT ALL, you get called for a penalty if you whine after the play.

    If you are a coach, pick plays on Offense literally aren't being called at all.

    Sack production is down league-wide because holding simply isn't being called.

    It's a joke. Look at the league:

    Arizona is 3-0!!!!

    The Jets are in first!

    New Orleans just lost to KC.

    I can go on and on, but this is going to be one of those years where it doesn't make sense whatsoever.

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Jets will likely suffer similar outcomes if these refs stay on the field, and I highly doubt you will be making posts like this endorsing this garbage when that happens to you.
    We saw the refs give the Dolphaigs a first down on an incomplete pass...even with the review. So calm down there, skippy.

    -

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ya dont say!






    -
    By that logic, as a Jet fan, anything you say is also completely skewed and will automatically take the side that we do have refs in our pocket. It carries no weight either, so then the question comes, what's the point of this discussion?

    Therein lies the problem. That's exactly why you need to have competent, and capable objective referees to sort things out, and I think anyone would agree, these guys are NOT that.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfWeeb View Post
    A lot of calls went against NE last night and the topper was that FG (which WAS good IMHO). Now maybe Pats fans know what it's like to play 2 teams at a time. Great day of football yesterday. Hope for more of the same...

    Live by the tuck rule, die by the FG, I guess.
    You sure about the field goal?

    Check this out

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eju62GXyf8

    I'm not blaming the game on the field goal but this looks like a good angle to view it from.

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    That's exactly why you need to have competent, and capable objective referees to sort things out, and I think anyone would agree, these guys are NOT that.
    And some might say the competent and capable objectives referees that are sitting at home, were not so, when doing a Pats game.

    You might have gotten a "no good" call on that "good" FG yesterday for instance....

    Or Tommy would have gotten a few extra roughing the passer penalties.

    Of course, you as a Pats fan think the regular refs. were money.

    I find it odd that a Veteran coach was so furious over a clearly good kick....almost as if he felt was not given the benefit of the doubt on a close call because of who he was....and who he coached.


  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    And some might say the competent and capable objectives referees that are sitting at home, were not so, when doing a Pats game.

    You might have gotten a "no good" call on that "good" FG yesterday for instance....

    Or Tommy would have gotten a few extra roughing the passer penalties.

    Of course, you as a Pats fan think the regular refs. were money.

    I find it odd that a Veteran coach was so furious over a clearly good kick....almost as if he felt was not given the benefit of the doubt on a close call because of who he was....and who he coached.


    You are incorrect, I didn't like the regular refs on many occasions and have had my suspicion.

    And once again, my point is that YOU as Jets fan, are wired to believe they give us calls.

    The point is, at least the regular refs were COMPETENT. And the FG was hardly the worse call last night. There were far more obvious blown calls earlier in the game that had a bigger impact on momentum. The FG just masked the worse calls in the game and took away attention from the plays that truly deserved to be addressed, in particular the phantom holding calls that simply didn't exist.

    In particular the two 5 yard defensive holding penalties, that awarded the Ravens automatic first downs, on the same drive, which just happen to end in a touchdown.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 09-24-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    You are incorrect, I didn't like the regular refs on many occasions and have had my suspicion.

    And once again, my point is that YOU as Jets fan, are wired to believe they give us calls.

    The point is, at least the regular refs were COMPETENT. And the FG was hardly the worse call last night. There were far more obvious blown calls earlier in the game that had a bigger impact on momentum. The FG just masked the worse calls in the game and took away attention from the plays that truly deserved to be addressed, in particular the phantom holding calls that simply didn't exist.

    In particular the two 5 yard defensive holding penalties, that awarded the Ravens automatic first downs, on the same drive, which just happen to end in a touchdown.
    The Patriots have been getting calls for years.

    Three weeks into non-biased officiating and your coach is blowing a gasket.

    Don't worry, Kraftyboy is in Goodells pants and will make sure a deal is cut with the regular officials this week, and you'll be getting your phantom roughing the passer calls soon enough.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    You are incorrect, I didn't like the regular refs on many occasions and have had my suspicion.

    And once again, my point is that YOU as Jets fan, are wired to believe they give us calls.

    The point is, at least the regular refs were COMPETENT. And the FG was hardly the worse call last night. There were far more obvious blown calls earlier in the game that had a bigger impact on momentum. The FG just masked the worse calls in the game and took away attention from the plays that truly deserved to be addressed, in particular the phantom holding calls that simply didn't exist.

    In particular the two 5 yard defensive holding penalties, that awarded the Ravens automatic first downs, on the same drive, which just happen to end in a touchdown.
    Wake up and smell the coffee. I am a Yankees fan and since i am not blind, as you appear to be, I fully understand that the Yankees have gotten a ton of huge calls over the years.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Wake up and smell the coffee. I am a Yankees fan and since i am not blind, as you appear to be, I fully understand that the Yankees have gotten a ton of huge calls over the years.
    And if I were to go against the Yankees I'd still rather deal with the couple of QUESTIONABLE calls that go their way, than have to deal with referees that are completely out of control of the game, and in essence, end up controlling the outcome of the game.

    There is a big difference between a questionable call that goes Brady's way, or Yankees ways, and the crap that's taking place right now in the NFL.

    If you prefer having the outcome of the game in the hands of the referees by all mean, get on their side and support the owners. I just don't want to hear you whining if next week, the Jets end up in a similar situation. Hope you back them up just as much.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conviction View Post
    The Patriots have been getting calls for years.

    Three weeks into non-biased officiating and your coach is blowing a gasket.

    Don't worry, Kraftyboy is in Goodells pants and will make sure a deal is cut with the regular officials this week, and you'll be getting your phantom roughing the passer calls soon enough.
    There is not one stat that backs this up, in fact all stats, and I mean every single stat, point to the opposite of your thinking.

    Brady has dropped back and passed more than every other QB in the league except Brees, over the last 4 years. He has one of the lowest percentages of roughing the passer calls. The pats with all their passes has one of the lowest percentages of PI and defensive holding calls for them, It takes an act of god to get a call against a defensive player who is covering Gronk, I think due to his size the refs just do not call all the pulling and and grabbing defensive players do to him.

    Pats have also recently have been called for a ton of PIs and defensive holding, at the rates much higher than league average.

    The Pats have never statistically been the lowest penalized team, in fact most years the Jets have been called for less penalties on average per year.

    So nothing you say, except for the fact that you, hate the Pats, has any factual evidence, in fact every single fact, points to the opposite of your point.

    Now the last two games, the refs have just had too much input on the outcome of the game. I can go play by play and show how refs just screwed up the games over and over, and when you lose by a combined 3 points in two games, you realize that as much as the old refs were horrible and screwed up calls, these guys make them look like the greatest refs ever.

    I hate the old refs, and think officiating needs to be improved, but they are clearly the lesser of two evils.

  20. #20
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    There is not one stat that backs this up, in fact all stats, and I mean every single stat, point to the opposite of your thinking.

    Brady has dropped back and passed more than every other QB in the league except Brees, over the last 4 years. He has one of the lowest percentages of roughing the passer calls. The pats with all their passes has one of the lowest percentages of PI and defensive holding calls for them, It takes an act of god to get a call against a defensive player who is covering Gronk, I think due to his size the refs just do not call all the pulling and and grabbing defensive players do to him.

    Pats have also recently have been called for a ton of PIs and defensive holding, at the rates much higher than league average.

    The Pats have never statistically been the lowest penalized team, in fact most years the Jets have been called for less penalties on average per year.

    So nothing you say, except for the fact that you, hate the Pats, has any factual evidence, in fact every single fact, points to the opposite of your point.

    Now the last two games, the refs have just had too much input on the outcome of the game. I can go play by play and show how refs just screwed up the games over and over, and when you lose by a combined 3 points in two games, you realize that as much as the old refs were horrible and screwed up calls, these guys make them look like the greatest refs ever.

    I hate the old refs, and think officiating needs to be improved, but they are clearly the lesser of two evils.
    They're still evil.

    Personally I think this whole thread was a fishing expedition and the thread starter caught his limit!

    As a Jets fan, do the Pats get the calls? Certainly not volume wise, you've proven that. In critical situations? Maybe. But I think any top named athlete gets more leeway, whether it's Brady, Jeter or Jordan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us