Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helu, Jones, Blount, Moreno, Hightower

I felt at the beginning of the season that the eventual leading rusher for the Jets this season was not yet on the roster. I still feel that way.

They are going to have to sign, or trade for, someone to play RB before the trade deadline. And that player will lead the team in rushing this season.

Veteran
    All those guys are jobbers that you listed, maybe with the exception of Knowshon. Knowshon just cannot run like he did at Georgia, I don't know what the hell happened.

But what's the hate on Powell already? I really liked Powell's limited body of work, he has shown more explosiveness in his short experience than any of the guys you listed above.

we do have an immediate need for a rb and yes im in the panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Greene hasn't shown the same explosion since his rookie year. He's best in a split time job. Powell hasn't shown me ONE game where he shown the ability to be a starter in this league. I hear a lot of praise of this guy in articles, camp, etc.. But he hasn't impressed me since we drafted him.

McKnight has shown the ability to bust a move better in my opinion.
    How about playing better than greene in a direct carry by carry comparison and holding a consistently higher ypc%?

Not saying he's a star, but at this point his upside and ability are both stronger than Greene's.

All Pro
    Our running game is absolutely abysmal. Our running backs lack the proper burst to accelerate into the hole, and none of them have the much needed vision to get into the open field. Powell has been mediocre thus far, McKnight is apparently in the dog house, and Greene has lost a step or two.

There are running backs all over the place in the NFL. Hightower might be 100% in the upcoming future, Helu, Felix Jones, and Knowshon were all sent to the doghouse, and we need a running back that can make a guy miss. Our offensive line really isn't the problem, it's the lack of a playmaker on offense.

Get Rex a back!
    Felix Jones is awful. I don't know about the other guys, but he is fat and slow and fumbles kickoffs and sucks.

Greene is a decent back.

Powell could be good. Hell, so could McKnight.

But the Jets just played two defenses solid against the run, Miami and Pittsburgh.

While I would love a trade for Ben Tate, I hate what he would cost.

As such, the thing the Jets really need to do is get Tebow in there, not as a QB, but as a Fullback/H-Back/TE and really start doing some seriously screwy and creative things.

4 tackles (use Ducasse and Smith as "TE's"), with Keller, Tebow, and Greene in the backfield?

I don't know why it's been so vanilla, and considering Sparano is a Parcells disciple, I don't know where he lost the balls that Parcells used to have running insane sets like that to basically load up on huge meat to slam home the point that you are going to run the freaking football.

Motion Tebow into QB? Why not? What's to lose?

Next to zero crossing patterns over mid field. Far too much on the outside. I can go on with all sorts of ridiculous crap, but we're in first.

And that's all you can really ask for. So no matter how putrid it was to watch that 4 hour debacle yesterday (and what Jets fans haven't seen putrid football at some point in time?) let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Start talking about getting more exotic with offensive looks rather than giving up on what is really a 2nd year starter in Greene (LT was the starter in '10 until he burnt out really) and two guys who are showing some flashes but haven't had the opportunity to truly get going here.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Felix Jones is awful. I don't know about the other guys, but he is fat and slow and fumbles kickoffs and sucks.
    Moreno and Felix Jones should not legitimately be on anybody's rosters.

Jerry Jones' ego keeps Jones since he loves him for some reason, despite Choice being superior 1000 times over and they let him go and Moreno is one of those guys who got his rookie paycheck and basically disappeared.

I believe he was one of McDaniels' picks.

The failures of our running game goes beyond the talent of our running backs.. Not to say that they don't share some blame....

I think it is time to see what we have.. Powell and Mcknight should be given a chance to contribute.... I have seen no evidence that Greene can shoulder the burden of a feature back.... matter of fact, believe he plays his best when he fresher and rested at points during a game..

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Jerry Jones' ego keeps Jones since he loves him for some reason...
    They are both named Jones, and they both went to the University of Arkansas.

I doubt they are related. But, it is Arkansas, so I can't be 100% sure.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Moreno and Felix Jones should not legitimately be on anybody's rosters.

Jerry Jones' ego keeps Jones since he loves him for some reason, despite Choice being superior 1000 times over and they let him go and Moreno is one of those guys who got his rookie paycheck and basically disappeared.

I believe he was one of McDaniels' picks.
    He was Jerry's pick as the GM. Also, Jerry loves him since Felix went to Jerry's alma mater

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    All those guys are jobbers that you listed, maybe with the exception of Knowshon. Knowshon just cannot run like he did at Georgia, I don't know what the hell happened.

But what's the hate on Powell already? I really liked Powell's limited body of work, he has shown more explosiveness in his short experience than any of the guys you listed above.

I'm guessing someone doesn't watch much of the NFL.

Helu, Hightower, and Felix are all much more explosive

All Pro
    I'm guessing someone doesn't watch much of the NFL.

Helu, Hightower, and Felix are all much more explosive
    Felix is not explosive. Have you seen him this year? He has lost 2 steps, is not durable, and is a nothing. I live in Dallas, I watch him all the time. He is crap.

Greene hasn't shown the same explosion since his rookie year. He's best in a split time job. Powell hasn't shown me ONE game where he shown the ability to be a starter in this league. I hear a lot of praise of this guy in articles, camp, etc.. But he hasn't impressed me since we drafted him.

McKnight has shown the ability to bust a move better in my opinion.
    This but with that said there is no one out there better then what we currently have. None of the options mentioned so far are better then what we have. Greene had a good week one. I think he was playing hurt week 3. Powell really has not look any better. Maybe if we see a KC or Tenn drop a RB but right now there is just nothing to even think about. I'd rather bet on Tiki then get Jones or Helu.

Jets Insider VIP
    Our running game is absolutely abysmal. Our running backs lack the proper burst to accelerate into the hole, and none of them have the much needed vision to get into the open field. Powell has been mediocre thus far, McKnight is apparently in the dog house, and Greene has lost a step or two.

There are running backs all over the place in the NFL. Hightower might be 100% in the upcoming future, Helu, Felix Jones, and Knowshon were all sent to the doghouse, and we need a running back that can make a guy miss. Our offensive line really isn't the problem, it's the lack of a playmaker on offense.

Our QB play isn't dynamic enough to have such a poor running game. Picking up one of these high potential low salary players would be beneficial to our running game, and give us a much needed boost in the running game.

Tanny doesn't mind making moves midway through the season. See Ty Law, Braylon Edwards deals just a few years ago. A running back can be supplemented into the offense rather quickly without needing to know the entire playbook.

Get Rex a back!
    I think you could be wrong about the Ol not being at least part of the problem. They are playing Vald to get more size in the run game. BRICK has never been a great run blocker; Moore is OK but getting up in age nand seems to have lost a step! NICK is OK and Howard is developing. NO rb can run where there are no holes. I paid attention yesterday and did not see much in the way of run blocking by the OL. Besides the defense seemed to know when we were going to run.

Powell has to play more, could be a 3 down back. He is not a franchise back, but could be serviceable. He is also better in pass pro and can catch out of the backfield.

Powell 10 carries for 45 yards. McFadden had 11 carries against the same defense and only had 22 yards. Foster and Tate ran the ball 31 times for a total of 85 yards in Houston against the Fish. Dolphins have a very good run D. Guess what though Powell bested them all. LOL

I do not want to hear Greene softened them up with his 19 carries for a miserable 2.1 yards per carry.

Powell has to start this week, If not he has to split series with Greene and be on the field for all 3rd downs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Are the Jets running out of patience in Shonn Greene?

By Dan Hanzus Published: Sept. 24, 2012 at 02:55 p.m.

The New York Jets built their blueprint for success in 2012 around the potential of Shonn Greene and the return of "ground and pound."

With Greene struggling through three weeks, Rex Ryan acknowledged "it's possible" Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight could see more touches.

"That's certainly a possibility that we'll look into," Ryan said on Monday, via the New York Daily News. "We'll look at anything that will help our team. Has that been discussed? No."

Powell, a fourth-round pick in the 2011 draft, had a season-high 10 carries in Sunday's 23-20 win over the Miami Dolphins. Greene has 57 rushes for 157 yards, an average of 2.8 yards per carry. Last season, Greene gained a career-high 1,054 yards on 4.2 yards per carry.

"Well we'd like to get him going more," said Ryan. "Without question we'd like to see him get that average up around 4 yards per carry."

The struggles to move the ball on the ground go beyond just one player. The Jets' offensive line simply is not as good as it was in Ryan's early years with the team. With the San Francisco 49ers on tap, don't expect a coming-out party for Greene next Sunday at the Meadowlands.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Sorry but I have run a number of algorithims and determined that it's mathematically impossible for anyone to be worse than Shonn Greene.
    Tell that to a Titans fan. What happened to CJK2?

Ok, Greene is absolutely horrible. Powell is worth a shot just because he is NOT greene. He isn't that good though. For the guys you mentioned:
    Helu- Decent RB, could be solid
    Felix Jones- Garbage
    Blount- Just as bad as Greene
    Moreno- Worse than Greene
    Hightower- Was just as bad as Greene even before he tore his ACL

Legarrette Blount is the only name mentioned in this thread that makes any sense at all. Yes, he's a similar back to Greene but he's bigger, stronger and faster. People saying Blount isn't better than Greene have never watched him play outside of a couple highlights on ESPN. Hits the hole way harder than Greene or Powell.

Faster and much more dynamic than Shonn Greene or Bilal Powell:

Much More physical and does not go down with first contact:

Sending the Bucs a mid-round pick for Blount is a no-brainer. Unless you want to trade that mid-round pick for another religious fanatic LB pretending to be a NFL QB.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 09-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I'll admit that Powell is far from a home run threat, but a 4.5 avg on 10 carries against a defense that had already completely shut down Foster, Tate and McFadden doesn't do anything for you?

Miami's front 7 is one of the best in the business. That Powell was able to average about 4 ypc against both this unit and the Steelers the week before tells me that he's the best guy to put the team in favorable down & distance situations.

That to me sounds like something we need to try out before burning another pick on a trade for a guy who may not be able to bring much more to the table.
    Powell went in against some ferocious Run D's, to be fair. I think he's contributed well under the circumstances and deserves to be given more carries. At this stage Greene looks like a far cry from his playoff heroics a few years back and in all honesty is best as a closer, #2-3 rb