Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If losing Revis ends the Jets season ...

If losing Revis ends the Jets season ...

Then they didn't have a chance to begin with. The good teams survive big injuries like this because they have good coaching and they have depth. Did the Patriots fall over and die when they lost Brady a few years ago? Even though they just missed the playoffs, they finished something like 11-5.

Coaching and depth ... Well, the Jets definitely don't have depth thanks to all the draft picks this team has lost due to Mr. T trading up the draft board like a drunken GM the past several years. Whether they have good coaching remains to be seen--I certainly have my doubts based on the way they have played the past two games.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Then they didn't have a chance to begin with. The good teams survive big injuries like this because they have good coaching and they have depth. Did the Patriots fall over and die when they lost Brady a few years ago? Even though they just missed the playoffs, they finished something like 11-5.

Coaching and depth ... Well, the Jets definitely don't have depth thanks to all the draft picks this team has lost due to Mr. T trading up the draft board like a drunken GM the past several years. Whether they have good coaching remains to be seen--I certainly have my doubts based on the way they have played the past two games.
    Good analysis and spot-on about Mr. Bean Counter.

I thought about making a thread on this with a slightly different view.

If losing a defensive player is going to ruin our season then I'm supremely disappointed with the quality of players on this offense. I am even more disappointed with the fact that we're talking about it possibly ruining our season. That's on the GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Good post.

In my opinion, this could potentially galvanize this Jets team - or derail it.

We shall see how the season plays out.

For all you guys (and there are many) who doubt the head coach and the GM and I'm not referring to the knee jerkers but for the ones who really doubt this is your time. It's put up or shut up time for both.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

You didn't think this years team was gonna win the SB did you?

Rex is a genius defensive mind and he can coach a top 5 defense up regardless of who's out there.

Get used to it Jet fans. Revis is done for the year and will most likely hold out next year to get a new deal. He may have just played his last down in a Jet uniform.

Jets Insider VIP
    I saw the following on an ESPN blog!!!!

Take a look at this!!!!

The Jets are a different defensive team without Revis. In 111 plays without him, they've allowed a 62 percent completion rate, 7.6 yards per pass attempt and four touchdowns, making no interceptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

In 88 plays with Revis on the field, it's 54 percent, 5.4 per attempt and only one touchdown, with four interceptions.

See the difference? It's huge.

Not identical, but I remember the Volunteers the year after they lost the great Peyton Manning won a championship with Tee Martin at the healm. Not suggesting that Kyle Wilson will lead us to a title, but sometimes guys rely too much on one player and can actually play better when they are not playing under that players shadow.

Houston had an awful defense in 2010. They then started off well with Mario Williams (5 sacks through 5 games) and after losing him they actually played better.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You didn't think this years team was gonna win the SB did you?
    Actually, no. When I did my annual run-down-the-schedule predicting, I came up with 6-10 for this year before the first game. I just feel the offense is too lacking in the skill positions and that defense, despite the signing of the new safeties and Coples, etc., is just going to be another year older and slower in the linebacking corps. The end of last year also caused me to lose a lot of respect for Rex Ryan and his ability to manage an entire team.

All Pro
    The greatest effect this injury will have on the Jets is in the area of the salary cap. The Jets had to redo Revis Contract after this season but with this injury, things may be changing. If the defense holds up, Revis will have to play next season on his current contract. If the defense faulters, Revis has the hammer.

The good thing for the Jets is the defense sucked up until now.

Hard to imagine Jets being much of a threat w/o services of their best player... Perhaps top defensive player in game today....

Not sure if we ultimately go 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, 10-6.. Record not withstanding... we are going to find out something about the other talent we currently have on this roster.....

The entire organization for very good reasons, will fall under microscope...
    From the Owner down to Equipment manager...

It was a painful game to watch this weekend... but Offensively, thought they left a lot of plays out on field.... hope too see that improve.. I do like the addition of Sparano.. he is a good coach....

Defensively, I believe in Rex & Petine, but they can't seem to stop anyone on 3rd down.... If you can't get to QB, everything ultimately breaks down... They will improve on run defense.

Tebow... hmmm.. he is a weapon.. might as well use him in context that he can succeed.... shotgun.. Option/run... let him throw it out of that formation.... redzone, short yardage or change of pace....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I saw the following on an ESPN blog!!!!

Take a look at this!!!!

The Jets are a different defensive team without Revis. In 111 plays without him, they've allowed a 62 percent completion rate, 7.6 yards per pass attempt and four touchdowns, making no interceptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

In 88 plays with Revis on the field, it's 54 percent, 5.4 per attempt and only one touchdown, with four interceptions.

See the difference? It's huge.
    Jets are 3-1 without Revis.

I think they'll play a different, more attacking style of D without him.

Although I hate losing him to injury it will be interesting to watch the Jets have to live life on Defense without him. We have high draft picks and solid players in the secondary...Cromartie immediately goes to the #1 and we'll see if Wilson can hold his own as a #2 CB. I think our safeties have been decent but where we'll likely suffer most is in the nickel.

I thought we had about an 8-8 team going into the season (maybe 9 or 10 wins at the top end) and I've never had Superbowl expectations for this year. So, let's see if Rex can save the world without Superman.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.

All League
    houston lost super mario last season, and there was no drop off.

Hell rex never had a corner like revis in his days in baltimore, didn't seem to affect him

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post

The entire organization for very good reasons, will fall under microscope...
    From the Owner down to Equipment manager...
    Exactly.

Just like when the Colts lost Peyton Manning last year and immediately shot to the worst team in the NFL. Everyone realized the Colts were a one-man show and the emperor had no clothes.

We are replacing less than 5% of our starting team (1 player out of 22). If that pushes a team that's capable of winning 9 or so games into a 6-10 season then it's Rex, Tannenbaum, and the organization's fault for building a house of cards.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post

Hell rex never had a corner like revis in his days in baltimore, didn't seem to affect him
    Although Ed Reed and Ray Lewis weren't too bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jets are 3-1 without Revis.

I think they'll play a different, more attacking style of D without him.
    The Jets defense is going to be better without revis. Yeah. i said it.

We don't have good coaching. That's that.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post

Houston actually has d lineman that can rush the qb, lb's that can cover and rush and dbs that can cover. After Revis the rest are questionable. Add in Rex's questionable coaching and we are set for greatness.

Rex loves CB's, this will not be a problem. Guys like Lankster, Wilson, Fletch and Cro will make plays for jets secondary.