Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jets will man up and play toe to toe against 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    really? I've watched all 3 SF games and don't see a team that is unbeatable or completely dominant. go watch all their games and then tell me if you think they are dominant.
    please ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    please ignore him.
    will do

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You're on crack. This is the beginning of the end for the NYJ 2012 football season.
    It's going to take a total team effort - I'll just leave it at that.

We are at home, so, that helps.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You're on crack. This is the beginning of the end for the NYJ 2012 football season.

Please stop...yep Revis is our best player hands down but, we have very capable players on this team. this may be a wake up call for the entire coaching staff, you need a pass rush in this league to succeed you can not rely on a "shut-down corner" to make up for a pass rush. I honestly believe the loss of Revis will force Rex to scheme up blitz packages that will make up for the loss of Revis..

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    really? I've watched all 3 SF games and don't see a team that is unbeatable or completely dominant. go watch all their games and then tell me if you think they are dominant.
    They don't need to be a dominant team to beat us, where are you getting that notion from. Miami proved you could be a pretty bad team and beat us as long as you had a reliable FG kicker. Niners are simply a better team than the Jets on both sides of the ball. They're better from the head coach to the QB to the defense. Doesn't mean they're guaranteed to win, but if each team plays to its capabilities, the smart money is on San Fran. And I'm not even really taking int consideration that we just lost our best player for the season.

I hope the team rallies and Rex comes up with a brilliant plan and Sanchez finally plays like the #5 pick in the draft and a million other things, but the more likely scenario is that a pissed off Niners team that is 15-4 in its last 19 regular season games comes out and beats a team it is better than.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    They're better from the head coach
    How do you figure?

What has Jim Harbaugh accomplished that Rex Ryan hasn't??

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    How do you figure?

I guess that is debatable but Harbaugh seems to have a better handle on the whole team than Rex does, who mostly is hands off with the offense.

Harbaugh also won 13 games in the regular season and secured 2 home playoff games. Rex really hasn't come close to pulling that off. And Harbaugh was voted Coach of the Year, Rex also has not ever been.

I'll give that that is most toss-up of the comparisons I made though. I'd say Harbaugh is in better standing with his fanbase than Rex is. You read this board and get the feeling many would want Rex gone if we missed the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 09-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Just a gut feeling......So far this season my gut feelings are 3 for 3. Not exactly seeing a win, just a real close game. How's that for going out on a lonely limb?
    Not crazy. SF is going cross country and Minn exposed some things on them last weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I guess that is debatable but Harbaugh seems to have a better handle on the whole team than Rex does, who mostly is hands off with the offense.

Harbaugh also won 13 games in the regular season and secured 2 home playoff games.
    Harbaugh has exactly one NFL season under his belt. Keep it in perspective.

Rex went as deep into the playoffs in his rookie season as Harbaugh did last year and Rex did it with a rookie QB, which makes the accomplishment even more impressive. At least Harbugh had a veteran QB to work with and he didn't have the New York media to deal with day in and day out either.

When he takes the 49'ers to back to back championship games then maybe we can have a legitimate discussion about it.

The coach of the year thing is as much about popularity as it is about the actual accomplishment, point being Rex could go 16-0 and he still wouldn't win it because the media doesn't like him, so, take the coach of the year thing with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-25-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Not crazy. SF is going cross country and Minn exposed some things on them last weekend.
    Another misconception among our fanbase. Niners were in Minnesota for their game and then went straight to Ohio for the week to prepare for the game againts us. They will not be going across the country, they will be traveling from Ohio to NYC later this week. They won't have been in west coast time zone for about 10 days by kickoff. It's still a road game for them and they are going across one timezone, not sure how much that is a factor though.

Harbaugh has exactly one NFL season under his belt. Keep it in perspective.

Rex went as deep into the playoffs in his rookie season as Harbaugh did last year and Rex did it with a rookie QB, which makes the accomplishment even more impressive. At least Harbugh had a veteran QB to work with and he doesn't have the New York media to deal with day in and day out either.

When he takes the 49'ers to back to back championship games then maybe we can have a legitimate discussion about it.

The coach of the year thing is as much about popularity as it is about the actual accomplishment, point being Rex could go 16-0 and he still wouldn't win it because the media doesn't like him, so, take the coach of the year thing with a grain of salt.
    I'm not saying Rex hasn't done a good job in his time here, I'm just pointing out that Harbaugh has been extremely impressive in his tenure as head coach to date and has accomplished things that Rex has not (which you claimed he hadn't).

As for taking a rookie QB to the playoffs, has been done a bunch recently, Mike Smith and John Harbaugh also accomplished the feat, John Harbaugh also went as far as Rex did. Pete Carroll may very well do it this year. Rex inherited a 9-7 team with a lot of talent, he didn't inherit a 2-14 club that had the #1 pick and was totally rebuilding.

Coach of the year has nothing to do with popularity, it's usually awarded when a coach turns around a bad team and has a very large increase in wins or leads a team to a dominant season that includes double digit wins, a division title, and homefield in the playoffs. In Harbaugh's case, he accomplished both his first season. Rex took a 9-7 team and got them to 9-7, 11-5, and 8-8. Never won the division or secured a home playoff game. There would have been no justification in any of his seasons to vote him coach of the year in my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm not saying Rex hasn't done a good job in his time here, I'm just pointing out that Harbaugh has been extremely impressive in his tenure as head coach to date and has accomplished things that Rex has not (which you claimed he hadn't).

As for taking a rookie QB to the playoffs, has been done a bunch recently, Mike Smith and John Harbaugh also accomplished the feat, John Harbaugh also went as far as Rex did. Pete Carroll may very well do it this year. Rex inherited a 9-7 team with a lot of talent, he didn't inherit a 2-14 club that had the #1 pick and was totally rebuilding.

Coach of the year has nothing to do with popularity, it's usually awarded when a coach turns around a bad team and has a very large increase in wins or leads a team to a dominant season that includes double digit wins, a division title, and homefield in the playoffs. In Harbaugh's case, he accomplished both his first season. Rex took a 9-7 team and got them to 9-7, 11-5, and 8-8. Never won the division or secured a home playoff game. There would have been no justification in any of his seasons to vote him coach of the year in my opinion.
    Again, Harbaugh has exactly one NFL season under his belt.

And the 49'ers are 2-1 right now just like the Jets and they got pretty beat-up by Minnesota in a game they were favored to win.

I also don't see how John Harbaugh and Mike Smith play into this conversation when it was a conversation comparing Rex Ryan & Jim Harbaugh.

As far as coach of the year goes - that means absolutely nothing.

As far as coach of the year goes - that means absolutely nothing.
    I don't see how you could really believe this. Coach of the year is based on a guy's coaching accomplishments and how he is perceived by the media and experts (who shape the public's opinion).

Right now, Jim Harbaugh is held in higher regard than Rex, part of that is certainly that he was coach of the year last season. It's not the be all end all but if Rex had won it last season, our fanbase would be touting it around here until the crows came home.

I think both are good coaches though, so if you want to consider that a wash in this matchup, I have no issue with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't see how you could really believe this. Coach of the year is based on a guy's coaching accomplishments and how he is perceived by the media and experts (who shape the public's opinion).

Right now, Jim Harbaugh is held in higher regard than Rex, part of that is certainly that he was coach of the year last season. It's not the be all end all but if Rex had won it last season, our fanbase would be touting it around here until the crows came home.

I think both are good coaches though, so if you want to consider that a wash in this matchup, I have no issue with that.
    I think coach of the year is a meaningless award, just my opinion.

I wonder how you will feel about this conversation if we beat the 49'ers on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    You people are on crack. We're going to get destroyed on Sunday.

This is the only stat you need to know: our record all time vs SF

2-11

???

So because we played them 4 years ago (in the mangini era) and lost, and we lost a bunch times before that when many of our current players were in high school or grade school - We had favre at QB, how many of those players are even still on the team?

This means we will lose for sure?

life time 2-11 isn't relevant to this matchup at all. Any All time w/l stats against NFC opponents that we play once every 4 years don't matter.

I think coach of the year is a meaningless award, just my opinion.

I wonder how you will feel about this conversation if we beat the 49'ers on Sunday?
    Why would I feel anything? I'll be happy the Jets won. Won't prove your point either as Harbaugh will still have accomplished things that Rex hasn't (to date).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Why would I feel anything? I'll be happy the Jets won. Won't prove your point either as Harbaugh will still have accomplished things that Rex hasn't (to date).
    Jim Harbaugh hasn't advanced his team any further in the playoffs then Rex has (despite his accomplishments you keep talking about) and Rex has done it twice in his first two seasons to Harbaugh's once.

And Harbaugh had homefield advantage in the NFC Championship game and lost.

Those are the only accomplishments (or lack thereof) that matter.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-25-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Banned
    Has Rex ever won 13 games and a Division title going to the Conference game?

And Harbuagh didn't need a couple of teams to sit their starters just to back into the playoffs in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

And Harbuagh didn't need a couple of teams to sit their starters just to back into the playoffs in the first place.
    just a bit more difficult division here

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

That s ridiculous.

You are becoming bitter and "mean". Why? because your team has come to earth?

Most of us know we are not great but how many teams win 13 games a year?

I see REX's issues front and center but compared to ALL head coaches in the last 20 years, his first 3 years are probably in the top 15 percent of the FIRST 3 years of most coaches including Belicek.