Thread: You Cannot Have Freedom Without Freedom From Hunger, Homelessness, Joblessness, Etc.

You Cannot Have Freedom Without Freedom From Hunger, Homelessness, Joblessness, Etc.

A comment made today on the radio by the host.

Agree or disagree?

Can you be free, if you are not free from all of these below:

Hunger
    Joblessness
    Homelessness
    A Lack of Healthcare

If you agree, why? If you disagree, why?

Jets Insider VIP
    Can I get back to you after I stop laughing/puking?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Well you certainly can't help any of it if your not free.

Absolutely not... Personal accountability is all you need to be free in Western society...

I like a helping hand not an handout. Why do you think the middle class is no where to be found ask the 47%. There is your answer!

Jets Insider VIP
    I was on Long Island this weekend and stopped at a 7 11. 2 very young children were literally hanging on the slurpee machine when their mom screamed at the. WE DON'T have money for that. She then bought a Colt 45 and a pack of pall mall. She looked pretty ragged.

These are children that no government program can protect. I am also confident they are hungry more than they should be.

Government money, in my experience, will buy more COLT and Pall Mall, not food.

I know this thread is designed to bash liberals, but what the heck...

I think, in the sense of freedom as we recognize it here in the U.S., no, none of these things can limit your freedom. If that is what this conversation is about.

Freedom purely in a philosophical sense, it would make an interesting conversation. Can you have true freedom if your station in life prevents you from exercising that freedom? Does someone who needs weekly dialysis have their freedom restricted due to medical condition?

/use of italics means sarcasm

This country once stood for the freedom to DO things. Unfortunately that has now morphed into the freedom to have things done FOR them.

There's just no way this ends well . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    An idiotic country that founds itself on mythical Judeo-Christian values better find a way to make it work.

Or else they're all just a bunch of phonies.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    An idiotic country that founds itself on mythical Judeo-Christian values better find a way to make it work.

Everything in your life, as paltry as it may be, is due to the sacrifice of men and women who lived and died based upon love of this country and Judeo-Christian values.

You want to ridicule the current political state of this country...fine...but your apparent aim to ridicule all this great country was founded upon...as you live within the embrace of the freedoms afforded you and your kids...seems disingenuous at best...

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I know this thread is designed to bash liberals, but what the heck...
    For the record, it wasn't. I heard it, and I passed it on/asked it here, as I am often inclined to do.

It IS a somewhat common idea I hear in liberal socio-political media.

He pins his hopes on humans that are fundamentally flawed. I look to G-d for quidance in a troubled world you look to men who have created the trouble. BTW I do not belong to any faith Catholic, Prodestant I believe in G-d.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    For the record, it wasn't. I heard it, and I passed it on/asked it here, as I am often inclined to do.

It IS a somewhat common idea I hear in liberal socio-political media.
    I was just making a joke given the substance of the posts and political leanings of the posters in the thread when I started reading it.

All League
    No, you're not free.

But it doesn't mean it wasn't your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    No, you're not free.

How do you define Freedom then? Not suffering from any material needs?

What would society have to provide to everyone (and at what cost to them and all, if any) to ensure a free society under your definition of freedom above?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    No, you're not free.

so where's the explanation? how is it you're not free? Can't wait to hear this....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    How do you define Freedom then? Not suffering from any material needs?

What would society have to provide to everyone (and at what cost to them and all, if any) to ensure a free society under your definition of freedom above?
    There is no to way guarantee absolute freedom to anyone.

What would a society have to provide to be considered a free society?

There are three pillars - national, political and civil freedoms.

National - you are your own country, not conquered or run by a puppet govt.
    Political - voter enfranchisement
    Civil - free speech, freedom of religion etc.

But that's all more philosophical/grand scheme than what we're talking about - back to your original post in this thread: To say that the starving homeless are "free" to me, just doesn't sit right - can't put my finger on it exactly, but I'll give it some more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

In truth, I used to find you humorous. Comments like this are sick. Why not head down to Cuba or Venezuela. You'll find people more of your kind.

All Pro
    It's as silly as saying you cannot have freedom without freedom from obesity, shelter, and employment.

Philosophically, a debate is legitimate. Practically, it makes no sense at all.

All Pro
    More lib nonsense. Just like B. Hussein at the UN:

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam”