Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Coples vs the field

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Coples vs the field

    So i'm watching the seattle/packers game and bruce irvin looks dominant. meanwhile, melvin ingram and chandler jones are contributing.


    ...and we picked coples (who is bigger than all those guys but "too small" to put in against larger offensive lineman)

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ingram doesn't even have a sack. Him and Coples have same # of tackles.

    I don't know how good the Packers OL is. Ingram looked like Lawrence Taylor on steroids and a bowlfull of coke facing them and now Irvin, who looked miserable in preseason, all of a sudden looks good.

    Give Coples a chance. He's playing DE in a 3-4 how many sacks you expect him to get while trying to occupy multiple blockers?

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Ingram doesn't even have a sack. Him and Coples have same # of tackles.

    I don't know how good the Packers OL is. Ingram looked like Lawrence Taylor on steroids and a bowlfull of coke facing them and now Irvin, who looked miserable in preseason, all of a sudden looks good.

    Give Coples a chance. He's playing DE in a 3-4 how many sacks you expect him to get while trying to occupy multiple blockers?
    i dont care about sacks as much as the lack of confidence the coaching staff is showing in him in his less than 20% snaps. this guy was named starter after 1 day of training camp. now he's barely on the field

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i dont care about sacks as much as the lack of confidence the coaching staff is showing in him in his less than 20% snaps. this guy was named starter after 1 day of training camp. now he's barely on the field
    He's a rookie and we have established veterans at the same position.

    This is insane. People on this board are comparing him to Suckasse and even Gholston. What a joke.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not playing in the 34. In fact he's not playing hardly at all. I think he rushed 11 times last game, and he had a hit, and a pressure. They need to get him out there. The real problem against Miami was Pouha. His back must not be right because he wasn't doubled all game and he got pushed back quite a few times. I've never seen that. He normally can't be moved by two guys. On the bright side Wilkerson was doubled most of the game and he more than held his own. His biggest problem is staying in his lane and trying to peak around his man. Sometimes he ends up getting in Harris' way trying to fill. Ellis was only in about 20 plays and he did very well as well. These guys need more playing time, and hopefully Pouha gets back to being himself now that we have a few home games. Dixon is gone again, and he has play very poorly getting pushed around.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    Awesome post

    So true

    Well done

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's not playing in the 34. In fact he's not playing hardly at all. I think he rushed 11 times last game, and he had a hit, and a pressure. They need to get him out there. The real problem against Miami was Pouha. His back must not be right because he wasn't doubled all game and he got pushed back quite a few times. I've never seen that. He normally can't be moved by two guys. On the bright side Wilkerson was doubled most of the game and he more than held his own. His biggest problem is staying in his lane and trying to peak around his man. Sometimes he ends up getting in Harris' way trying to fill. Ellis was only in about 20 plays and he did very well as well. These guys need more playing time, and hopefully Pouha gets back to being himself now that we have a few home games. Dixon is gone again, and he has play very poorly getting pushed around.
    +1

    Very good post by someone who clearly watches the games.


    Wilk has actually played very well under the radar. Pouha has not been himself at all and is pushed off the LOS. We were supposed to go with more of a 4-3 D this season but our LB's are too slow. Coples consistently playing in 4 man fronts will eventually become Pierre-Paul or Mario Williams.


    Pace, Scott, Harris and Thomas are all too slow to play in a 3-4 let alone 4-3. We need to draft LB's in a bad way next season.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got to say, clever title...made me chuckle when I read it...


    What's surprising so far isn't that he's not made an impact...rookies often don't. What's surprising is that he's been limited in snaps when he flashed in preseason...even if it was against the second team a lot of time. You would think that his play earned him more snaps to see what he's got against the first team...maybe they're just working him in...who knows.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    The last one is kinda true. I can't name anyone drafted by the Jets in the last 5 years that actually lived up to the hype.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i dont care about sacks as much as the lack of confidence the coaching staff is showing in him in his less than 20% snaps. this guy was named starter after 1 day of training camp. now he's barely on the field
    Speculation he was sick yesterday. Didn't have much in his tank.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    our draft picks and total trading of draft picks does suck or is at least the work of a 500 teams front office.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's concerning that he's barely playing. We don't have three years to wait for him to develop, we need him playing and contributing, soon.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I've got to say, clever title...made me chuckle when I read it...


    What's surprising so far isn't that he's not made an impact...rookies often don't. What's surprising is that he's been limited in snaps when he flashed in preseason...even if it was against the second team a lot of time. You would think that his play earned him more snaps to see what he's got against the first team...maybe they're just working him in...who knows.
    Yep, agree

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    They do a lot of underestimating teams that we play. The Bills and Miami are both better than people think. You know the Fish destroyed the Raiders last week, and the Raiders beat Pittsburgh this week. So you try and figure who's the best team BCS style. It's not easy playing in South Florida in September. I watched the Bills and they look pretty good too. I watched San Fran this week too, and they didn't look very good. It's not obvious why things happen the way they do. Football is a game of inches. There's little difference between a TD, and an int. Small variables make a big difference. People love to talk talking like they know what's going to happen when they really have no clue. You have to find out why plays go wrong, or why they go right before you run your mouth., Well you obviously don't have to, but you see how foolish they make themselves look. The Jets can put this all together. They are just a little off from being very good on offense, and dominant on defense. Last year they didn't have the speed or athleticism at WR, and they had Shotty. This year they're very close. Hopefully they put it all together.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    LOL.

    Long live SOJF.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

    Long live SOJF.
    When you grow up and play tee ball without score and an environment where everyone gets a trophy...well, this is the result.

    some people are always so close but never get there. makes them happy.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    So i'm watching the seattle/packers game and bruce irvin looks dominant. meanwhile, melvin ingram and chandler jones are contributing.


    ...and we picked coples (who is bigger than all those guys but "too small" to put in against larger offensive lineman)
    Does couples even know what the field looks like? The field has won so far. Another one of the BUST KINGS picks.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Some people watch other teams' games because they love football.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they have $ on the game.

    Some people watch other teams' games because they play fantasy football and have players or opponents playing.

    Jets fans watch other teams' games to prove to themselves that our draft picks suck.
    holy sh&t, I am laughing so hard. .. so true. . ..

    " You know you're a Jets fan when ______________"

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's not playing in the 34. In fact he's not playing hardly at all. I think he rushed 11 times last game, and he had a hit, and a pressure. They need to get him out there. The real problem against Miami was Pouha. His back must not be right because he wasn't doubled all game and he got pushed back quite a few times. I've never seen that. He normally can't be moved by two guys. On the bright side Wilkerson was doubled most of the game and he more than held his own. His biggest problem is staying in his lane and trying to peak around his man. Sometimes he ends up getting in Harris' way trying to fill. Ellis was only in about 20 plays and he did very well as well. These guys need more playing time, and hopefully Pouha gets back to being himself now that we have a few home games. Dixon is gone again, and he has play very poorly getting pushed around.
    You are correct on every point. Pouha looked terrible and is clearly suffering from his injury. Wilkerson was fine though not stellar. Devito was lackluster. Ellis was clearly way better than Pouha. Coples looked like he was playing to not make a mistake. Still, he held his own against double teams. During one play, Coples drew a quadruple team allowing Landry to put a hit on the QB (unfortunately a PI penalty continued the drive.)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us