Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coples vs the field

For those asking:

the surprise on defense has been how far Quinton Coples stock has fallen. His playtime went from 51% in week 1 to 24% in week 2 to only 18% in week 3. those are Gholston numbers. There is more to this than I think the Jets are letting on right now. Kenrick Ellis' playing time continues to slide, which is disappointing since he did show some promise in the preseason. As of now the talk of him taking over the job was premature. Despite the excellent performance last week Garret McIntyre's playtime was reduced to 65% of the snaps whie Josh Maugas rose to 24% from 9%. Im guessing it was a scheme thing. Sione Pouha was also not used sparingly compared to last week. Eric smith saw more playing time in the secondary with the Jets using some three safety formations on the field.

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Post/jetsd...splaytime.html

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    It's concerning that he's barely playing. We don't have three years to wait for him to develop, we need him playing and contributing, soon.
    THANK YOU.

So what if he's a rookie?

So what if there are "established veterans" already at his position?

HE IS BETTER THAN MOST OF THEM.

Give him a damn chance and let the rookie tear it up.

All League
    And instead we let guys like Eric F***ing Smith see play time who I swear screws up every time he is on the field.

it's so frustrating. so many sit here and blast the jets' GM for not drafting well, yet, we have coples, ellis, powell and mcknight on the bench while rex trusts dixon, eric smith and greene to win the game. so rex gets his way on draft day as they keep drafting defense early, but doesn't play coples or ellis or demario davis. then the offense suffers b/c the jets had holmes and a bunch of training camp wrs/tes out there vs. the dolphins. schillens, cumberland and gates. that's who the jets had. throw in greene for humor. again, we sit here and blame sanchez for the offense's failures, which is fair. but rex's influence is really hurting the entire team. he insists on drafting defense but doesn't play them, then the offense doesn't get the high draft picks it needs to build talent.

i'm tired of rex playing favorites with his players. greene probably wouldn't even be the backup rb on most teams. how good would the jets front 7 look if greene lands on another team and that team runs him 20 times straight into the jets d line.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    And instead we let guys like Eric F***ing Smith see play time who I swear screws up every time he is on the field.
    why was he even on the field when we were on defense? we have bell and landry.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's not playing in the 34. In fact he's not playing hardly at all. I think he rushed 11 times last game, and he had a hit, and a pressure. They need to get him out there. The real problem against Miami was Pouha. His back must not be right because he wasn't doubled all game and he got pushed back quite a few times. I've never seen that. He normally can't be moved by two guys. On the bright side Wilkerson was doubled most of the game and he more than held his own. His biggest problem is staying in his lane and trying to peak around his man. Sometimes he ends up getting in Harris' way trying to fill. Ellis was only in about 20 plays and he did very well as well. These guys need more playing time, and hopefully Pouha gets back to being himself now that we have a few home games. Dixon is gone again, and he has play very poorly getting pushed around.
    I was thinking the same thing. Once Pouha came back that the young guys would get less snaps and that would hurt us. I'd rather see Ellis, Wilkerson and Coples in at least half the time if Pouha isn't right physically. I think Ellis should play more than Devito if he is more effective.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    our draft picks and total trading of draft picks does suck or is at least the work of a 500 teams front office.
    Wow...just wow....

Chandler Jones looks like a beast. Reminds me a lot of Pierre Paul. That is all I'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You only got the guy for 4 or 5 years anyway. before he is a FA. Your concern
    about him being 25 will be more valid for a developmental player not a 1st rd pick.
    Um, no.

First of all, we're talking about a top 15 pick here...so Irvin already has the age thing going against him, not to mention his previous run-ins (i.e. he was in Juvie)

If he's good, then you're extending him before his contract runs up. You'd be extending a guy who is already 28, so whatever you end up paying him will probably be a mistake two years later. On the other hand, if Coples is good, he'd be getting extended at age 25 when he'd be entering his peak.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 09-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.

This is a totally uneducated guess as to why Coples isn't on the field that much, but I'm betting it's conditioning. It was brought up as an issue all throughout preseason by Rex himself.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

Very good post by someone who clearly watches the games.

Wilk has actually played very well under the radar. Pouha has not been himself at all and is pushed off the LOS. We were supposed to go with more of a 4-3 D this season but our LB's are too slow. Coples consistently playing in 4 man fronts will eventually become Pierre-Paul or Mario Williams.

Pace, Scott, Harris and Thomas are all too slow to play in a 3-4 let alone 4-3. We need to draft LB's in a bad way next season.
    To claim Coples is going to grow into JPP is totally unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    To claim Coples is going to grow into JPP is totally unfounded.
    That's exaggerating. Coples has excellent agility for a man his size, though admittedly he can't do backflips like JPP either. Pierre Paul took a while to grow into the player that he is, so expecting Coples to be on fire straight away is unreasonable as well.But clearly he needs to see more time on the field, hopefully his conditioning (stamina) has improved so he can showcase his outstanding physical attributes (explosiveness, power)consistently.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jets need to play 4-3 in order for Coples to be most effective.

When he was drafted, it told me that Rex was going to go more 4-3.

I guess it's hard for a (stubborn) leopard to change it's spots.
    I guess you didn't see the part where Rex wants Coples as the 3-4 DE, and an interior pass rusher in the 46.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    They do a lot of underestimating teams that we play. The Bills and Miami are both better than people think. You know the Fish destroyed the Raiders last week, and the Raiders beat Pittsburgh this week. So you try and figure who's the best team BCS style. It's not easy playing in South Florida in September. I watched the Bills and they look pretty good too. I watched San Fran this week too, and they didn't look very good. It's not obvious why things happen the way they do. Football is a game of inches. There's little difference between a TD, and an int. Small variables make a big difference. People love to talk talking like they know what's going to happen when they really have no clue. You have to find out why plays go wrong, or why they go right before you run your mouth., Well you obviously don't have to, but you see how foolish they make themselves look. The Jets can put this all together. They are just a little off from being very good on offense, and dominant on defense. Last year they didn't have the speed or athleticism at WR, and they had Shotty. This year they're very close. Hopefully they put it all together.
    Miami is a better team then people think? Rookie HC,Rookie QB,injured Bush,no wrs,no cbs and they out played the Jets not because they are more talented. They suck and should win no more then five games

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    That's exaggerating. Coples has excellent agility for a man his size, though admittedly he can't do backflips like JPP either. Pierre Paul took a while to grow into the player that he is, so expecting Coples to be on fire straight away is unreasonable as well.But clearly he needs to see more time on the field, hopefully his conditioning (stamina) has improved so he can showcase his outstanding physical attributes (explosiveness, power)consistently.
    When a guys has a questional final yr in college,yet is a high draft pick and still shows nothing through a quarter of the season. Not great signs for a man who has not done anything in now a year and a half

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Other than delusional optimism, what exactly leads you to believe Coples will become an elite DE like those guys?
    Shouldn't you be worried about your overrated team and its losing record?

I trust Rex Ryan's ability to assess defensive linemen over a bunch of internet posters who fancy themselves draft experts. Same people declaring Coples a bust after 3 games are the same folks who said Terrence Cody would never make it in the NFL and wanted to draft Brandon Pettigrew over Mark Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I trust Rex Ryan's ability to assess defensive linemen over a bunch of internet posters who fancy themselves draft experts. Same people declaring Coples a bust after 3 games are the same folks who said Terrence Cody would never make it in the NFL and wanted to draft Brandon Pettigrew over Mark Sanchez.
    I promised my daughter a Coples jersey on his first sack. I hope I buy one this Sunday.