Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coples vs the field

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    It's concerning that he's barely playing. We don't have three years to wait for him to develop, we need him playing and contributing, soon.
    Coples played well I thought. The coaches have to put him out there. They're too committed to Devito Pouha.

Also remember last year Wilkerson progressively got more snaps as the season wore on. Same will happen with Coples. Let him see enough looks now so that he doesn't make a mistake in a crucial spot.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    So i'm watching the seattle/packers game and bruce irvin looks dominant. meanwhile, melvin ingram and chandler jones are contributing.

...and we picked coples (who is bigger than all those guys but "too small" to put in against larger offensive lineman)
    Irving is definitely talented, but he can only play in passing downs and really has only one pass rush move--a push to the outside and run to the inside. Packers coach McCarthy commented that the O Line was allowing themselves to get turned sideways. At halftime they made the adjustment and had the lineman play square to the Seahawks pass rushers. The pressure then went away. Irvin is good but he can get bottled up when the lineman play correct technique.

BTW you have to go on record with this comment. When Coples has a monster week, say in week six, I want you to bump this thread and admit you jumped to ridiculous conclusion. Own up to your complaining.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Irving is definitely talented, but he can only play in passing downs and really has only one pass rush move--a push to the outside and run to the inside. Packers coach McCarthy commented that the O Line was allowing themselves to get turned sideways. At halftime they made the adjustment and had the lineman play square to the Seahawks pass rushers. The pressure then went away. Irvin is good but he can get bottled up when the lineman play correct technique.

BTW you have to go on record with this comment. When Coples has a monster week, say in week six, I want you to bump this thread and admit you jumped to ridiculous conclusion. Own up to your complaining.
    Irvin looked good, but he's already 25 years old. No thanks on someone who has probably already fully physically matured and will not be worth his second contract. Crap, even Aaron Maybin is younger than him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    You are correct on every point. Pouha looked terrible and is clearly suffering from his injury. Wilkerson was fine though not stellar. Devito was lackluster. Ellis was clearly way better than Pouha. Coples looked like he was playing to not make a mistake. Still, he held his own against double teams. During one play, Coples drew a quadruple team allowing Landry to put a hit on the QB (unfortunately a PI penalty continued the drive.)
    Pouha was very good against Pittsburgh. I have no idea what happened on Sunday.

And Ellis didn't play any better. Mike Pouncey had a much better game that Maurkice did.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

And Ellis didn't play any better. Mike Pouncey had a much better game that Maurkice did.
    I disagree. I rewatched the Miami game and when Ellis was in, the Miami running game was weaker, for the most part, because Ellis would not be pushed three yards back.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Ingram doesn't even have a sack. Him and Coples have same # of tackles.

I don't know how good the Packers OL is. Ingram looked like Lawrence Taylor on steroids and a bowlfull of coke facing them and now Irvin, who looked miserable in preseason, all of a sudden looks good.

Give Coples a chance. He's playing DE in a 3-4 how many sacks you expect him to get while trying to occupy multiple blockers?
    Can't give him a change while he is sitting on the sidelines!! He would have been 3 games into becoming an NFL player by now but the jets are wasting time as usual.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i dont care about sacks as much as the lack of confidence the coaching staff is showing in him in his less than 20% snaps. this guy was named starter after 1 day of training camp. now he's barely on the field
    One of the writers on TOTJ said that Coples was battling some illness, which have contributed to him playing only 15 or so snaps last week. Cutting Dixon may also be a sign that Rex and Pettine are comfortable with increasing his workload.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    One of the writers on TOTJ said that Coples was battling some illness, which have contributed to him playing only 15 or so snaps last week. Cutting Dixon may also be a sign that Rex and Pettine are comfortable with increasing his workload.
    I read this as well. THe comment I saw was that he played well when he was in, but was battling sickness all week and even missed practice at some point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Irvin looked good, but he's already 25 years old. No thanks on someone who has probably already fully physically matured and will not be worth his second contract. Crap, even Aaron Maybin is younger than him.
    You only got the guy for 4 or 5 years anyway. before he is a FA. Your concern
    about him being 25 will be more valid for a developmental player not a 1st rd pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Speculation he was sick yesterday. Didn't have much in his tank.
    Didn't Rex confirm this yesterday?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1
    Coples consistently playing in 4 man fronts will eventually become Pierre-Paul or Mario Williams.
    really ?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

Just so you know, Mike Pouncey has been playing extremely well to start the season. I think PFF had him rated as a top 3 center. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about Pouha, coming off an injury, and playing against what looks to be a very good young center, it's going to be tough. It's not always what your doing wrong, but what the other guy is doing right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a rookie and we have established veterans at the same position.

This is insane. People on this board are comparing him to Suckasse and even Gholston. What a joke.
    Yeah established veterans who are getting run on and just like the last few years cannot get a pass rush.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ingram doesn't even have a sack. Him and Coples have same # of tackles.

I don't know how good the Packers OL is. Ingram looked like Lawrence Taylor on steroids and a bowlfull of coke facing them and now Irvin, who looked miserable in preseason, all of a sudden looks good.

Give Coples a chance. He's playing DE in a 3-4 how many sacks you expect him to get while trying to occupy multiple blockers?
    Jets need to play 4-3 in order for Coples to be most effective.

When he was drafted, it told me that Rex was going to go more 4-3.

I guess it's hard for a (stubborn) leopard to change it's spots.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey Coples was sick the end of the week so i wouldnt read to much into this
    as i am sure they didnt want him getting dehydrated in that heat and getting sicker i am not sure what he had but he was listed as sick thursday and friday

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    hey Coples was sick the end of the week so i wouldnt read to much into this
    as i am sure they didnt want him getting dehydrated in that heat and getting sicker i am not sure what he had but he was listed as sick thursday and friday
    Didn't you say this in another thread?

And I asked what your explanation was for him hardly seeing the field in the Steeler's game? Was he sick then too?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Coples consistently playing in 4 man fronts will eventually become Pierre-Paul or Mario Williams.
    Other than delusional optimism, what exactly leads you to believe Coples will become an elite DE like those guys?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Other than delusional optimism, what exactly leads you to believe Coples will become an elite DE like those guys?
    Some people are delusional. If anybody is a JPP type it is Jones. Speed, athleticism and LOOOOOOONG arms.

Coples is too small (according to Rex's excuse for not playing him @ Pitt) for DT in 3-4. But IMO he is too slow to be a 4-3 DE. Same for Wilk.

All this 4-3 talk is BS. Our LBs will get destroyed and our DEs would be too slow. Coples might be a 4-3 DT and he could play along side Ellis. But what to do with Wilk? Only LB we have with speed is Davis but we don't know if he can play yet.

We are built wrong on defense. Time to blow the whole thing up!!!!! I do want a 4-3, but I just don't think we have the personnel for it. Need a Vilma for MLB and need speed at DE.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

Very good post by someone who clearly watches the games.

Wilk has actually played very well under the radar. Pouha has not been himself at all and is pushed off the LOS. We were supposed to go with more of a 4-3 D this season but our LB's are too slow. Coples consistently playing in 4 man fronts will eventually become Pierre-Paul or Mario Williams.

Pace, Scott, Harris and Thomas are all too slow to play in a 3-4 let alone 4-3. We need to draft LB's in a bad way next season.
    Coples seeing the field is predicated on our running more 4-man fronts, which is predicated on speed at LB, hence why we drafted Demario Davis. My guess is the FO doesn't think Davis is ready and that's why we aren't seeing more 4-3 and Coples. I would imagine if Davis can take over MLB, we should be more effective in the 4-3 or 46. That's a huge "if" and I haven't seen Davis outside a few plays so far this season.

Going forward I can see something like this, with Ellis seeing more time at NT and Coples seeing more time at DE:

Potential base 4-3:

Scott, Davis, Harris
    Coples, Ellis, Pouha, Wilk

3-4 in Nickle and passing downs:

Pace, Harris, Scott, Maybin/Sapp
    Wilk, Ellis, Coples

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Pouha not at 100% / Teams running at us.

.../ The real problem against Miami was Pouha. His back must not be right because he wasn't doubled all game and he got pushed back quite a few times. I've never seen that. He normally can't be moved by two guys.

=Good point about Pouha. He is not 100% right now and that hurts. We cant stop the run anymore; he seems to be a key for us. RB's are having a field day gaining yardage on us right now. We are going to need Wilkerson and Coples to have a great game to stop Frank Gore on sunday.