Thread: Jets 34 vs 43

Jets 34 vs 43

I'm certainly not going to claim i know more than Rex or Pet, but wouldn't it seem more to the Jets strength to be playing more 43 with the deep talent there. With all the money and draft picks stockpiled at the D-line, I'm shocked we don't see more of these guys on the field at the same time.

The 3man line has shown no penchant for getting the the QB, the formlally strong run D is lacking, and the speed at LB is brutal these days. Rather than play to their strengths, Rex appears to be stubbornly sticking to his Balt roots instead of getting as much talent on the field as possible. With Revis out, I would like to see:

Wilk, Pouha/Devito/Ellis, Coples
    Pace, Harris, MacIntyre

What do you have to lose. The front has shown little so far. Otherwise fire Tanny and his scouts now if you have no confidence in your draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by obrienssong View Post
    I'm certainly not going to claim i know more than Rex or Pet, but wouldn't it seem more to the Jets strength to be playing more 43 with the deep talent there. With all the money and draft picks stockpiled at the D-line, I'm shocked we don't see more of these guys on the field at the same time.

The 3man line has shown no penchant for getting the the QB, the formlally strong run D is lacking, and the speed at LB is brutal these days. Rather than play to their strengths, Rex appears to be stubbornly sticking to his Balt roots instead of getting as much talent on the field as possible. With Revis out, I would like to see:

Wilk, Pouha/Devito/Ellis, Coples
    Pace, Harris, MacIntyre

What do you have to lose. The front has shown little so far. Otherwise fire Tanny and his scouts now if you have no confidence in your draft picks.
    they don't have the speed at LB in ur scenario

Quote Originally Posted by blitzct View Post
    Very true. But sub Davis for pace and pace for Mac on the strong side and there you go. Davis has very good speed and range while pace is bigger and stronger. Harris can play in both, imo.
    Harris can't play MLB in the 43. And Pace can't play OLB in the 43.

the only way it works is if it looks like this

xxx Pace Coples Wilk Maybin xxx
    Scott Davis Harris

u can sub a lot of different players into the line, but Pace is def a DE in any 43 align and Harris is def an OLB

but two things u have to assume here:

1 Rex is willing to play a Rookie at the most important position on the defense, and basically give him Harris' and Scott's position
    2 Harris and Scott are actually athletic enough to play OLB in a 43...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Harris can't play MLB in the 43. And Pace can't play OLB in the 43.

the only way it works is if it looks like this

xxx Pace Coples Wilk Maybin xxx
    Scott Davis Harris

u can sub a lot of different players into the line, but Pace is def a DE in any 43 align and Harris is def an OLB

but two things u have to assume here:

1 Rex is willing to play a Rookie at the most important position on the defense, and basically give him Harris' and Scott's position
    2 Harris and Scott are actually athletic enough to play OLB in a 43...
    the jets have a lot of flexible DL, I think you might see ellis/pouha at DT opposite wilk and coples playing DE over maybin

All of the preseason chatter about a predominantly 4-3 front (including from me) was dependent on the idea that BOTH Coples and Demario Davis would be ready to start. Based on what they have actually shown us in limited snaps, that front seven would be a disaster.

Agree that Pace can't play LB in a 4-3 at this point in his career. Think about it this way, they are already playing a lot of 3-4 "over" and "under" with Pace at the LOS instead of a couple yards back. How do you like those results? If you switch to a true 4-3 on all three downs, you're going to, what, ask Davis or Bart Scott to cover tight ends regularly?