Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd Noise

Crowd Noise

Seattle is great with the 12th man. I think it makes a difference...
    Most of the time when I try to make noise on defense at MetLife I get yelled at.

**** the pussies in your section then...SCREAM when we're on D and their quarterback is trying to communicate with his players...

All League
    Sadly, MetLife doesn't seem to get as loud as Giants Stadium

All League
    This helps:

CenturyLink Field has earned a reputation for being the loudest stadium in the NFL.[4][61] The seating decks and partial roof direct exceptional amounts of crowd noise onto the field.[62] The most vocal fans sit in the north end zone bleachers and their sound is amplified by the metal bleachers.[63] This noise contributes to increased false start penalties since opposing offenses can miss audibles and the snap count.[50][63]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    This helps:

CenturyLink Field has earned a reputation for being the loudest stadium in the NFL.[4][61] The seating decks and partial roof direct exceptional amounts of crowd noise onto the field.[62] The most vocal fans sit in the north end zone bleachers and their sound is amplified by the metal bleachers.[63] This noise contributes to increased false start penalties since opposing offenses can miss audibles and the snap count.[50][63]
    You know what else helps? Effort by the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    It's filled with entitled people looking to be seen and eat sushi. The people making noise are a mile up and a mile back. Same thing as Yankee Stadium, even playoff games are not loud. Look at youtube videos of the 2009 Jets opener or a 1995 Yankee playoff game and tell me those stadiums weren't rockin....those people have all been priced out.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Most of the time when I try to make noise on defense at MetLife I get yelled at.

I was thinking to myself while watching the game, how many fans in Seattle do you think are asking people to sit down and be quiet or complaining about noise b.c they have children with them?

MetLife is a joke. I am glad I don't have "those people" in my section, but I know they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I was thinking to myself while watching the game, how many fans in Seattle do you think are asking people to sit down and be quiet or complaining about noise b.c they have children with them?

MetLife is a joke. I am glad I don't have "those people" in my section, but I know they exist.
    I never had parents complain about making noise in front of their children in the 40 years I have been going to games. Standing so that the kids can't see yes, swearing yes but not yelling.

The acoustics at Met life and Gillette suck compared to The closed bowl that was foxboro and the closeness of the overhangs at Giants stadium. That and the change in fan demographics result in less noise.
    Last edited by patman; 09-25-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Keep trying buddy, right there with you on D. Unfortunately this stadium is not full of football fans, most people have their own agenda.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I never had parents complain about making noise in front of their children in the 40 years I have been going to games. Standing so that the kids can't see yes, swearing yes but not yelling.

The acoustics at Met life and Gillette suck compared to The closed bowl that was foxboro and the closeness of the overhangs at Giants stadium. That and the change in fan demographics result in less noise.
    The Seahawks are pretty much the only show in town in relation to other sports.

We here are too fickle with fandoms to reach out and go nuts. Some are more die hard of another team and not so much of some other local squads.

Yeah the stadium acoustics has a lot to do with it, but when you don't have a lot to cheer about, you really let it out when you can.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    The Linc is loud when it needs to be loud.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

+1....i brought my lil one to opening day.....the lad wouldnt stop screaming D-FENSE. He understood that ppl would stand and i explained to him that some ppl use bad language and if he hears it, it doesnt mean its ok for him to use it. Although if i did hear excessive, unnecessary and constant cursing, i probably would have asked the guy to reign it in a bit - didnt need to.

My kid, and most others, aint the reason metlife is quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    The Seahawks are pretty much the only show in town in relation to other sports.

We here are too fickle with fandoms to reach out and go nuts. Some are more die hard of another team and not so much of some other local squads.

Yeah the stadium acoustics has a lot to do with it, but when you don't have a lot to cheer about, you really let it out when you can.
    I don't get your premise. You think that because the seahawks are the only game in town makes the fans cheer louder? Why? I can understand TV ratings being higher in a one horse town but making the fans more vocal? Plus I disagree with the only game premise in that both Washington State and Washington being big time football programs that Patriot and Jet football fans don't have.

It is a culture that the team perpetuates and encourages. Combine that with the accoustics you get the 12th man.

Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    +1....i brought my lil one to opening day.....the lad wouldnt stop screaming D-FENSE. He understood that ppl would stand and i explained to him that some ppl use bad language and if he hears it, it doesnt mean its ok for him to use it. Although if i did hear excessive, unnecessary and constant cursing, i probably would have asked the guy to reign it in a bit - didnt need to.

My kid, and most others, aint the reason metlife is quiet.
    Apologies. Apparently I did not explain myself well enough. I am not saying children shouldn't come to games or blaming them for the lack of crowd noise. I love seeing kids at games. Some of my best memories are going to games when I was a kid.

I have just heard stories about people complaining about it being to noisy for children. Which IMO is ridiculous. However, I agree people should behave themselves and that includes using proper language especially around children. But I know people who have been asked to be quiet at games and have been asked to sit down even during crucial situations.

Personally, I only stand when we are on defense or for big moments like a 3 and long or at the end of the game when we need a stop and usually only cheer after the plays on offense. I am lucky b.c the people around me like to stand and cheer and there are kids that are cheering as well and having a great time.

All that said, the fans aren't the main reason why the stadiums aren't loud, it is the architecture. These new stadiums are so big and wide open that the noise escapes very easily.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-25-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    It's filled with entitled people looking to be seen and eat sushi. The people making noise are a mile up and a mile back. Same thing as Yankee Stadium, even playoff games are not loud. Look at youtube videos of the 2009 Jets opener or a 1995 Yankee playoff game and tell me those stadiums weren't rockin....those people have all been priced out.
    I remember the wall of sound at game six at the Yankees World Series 1996, as Wade Boggs rides the police horse. I lined up seventeen hours (yes, 17) for tickets and it was truly a lifetime memory.

I am surprised that Metlife stadium designers did not focus more on acoustic overhangs on the upper decks to reflect the noise of the cheaper seats back onto the field. I wonder if Woody Johnson regrets getting into bed with the Giants ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I remember the wall of sound at game six at the Yankees World Series 1996, as Wade Boggs rides the police horse. I lined up seventeen hours (yes, 17) for tickets and it was truly a lifetime memory.

I am surprised that Metlife stadium designers did not focus more on acoustic overhangs on the upper decks to reflect the noise of the cheaper seats back onto the field. I wonder if Woody Johnson regrets getting into bed with the Giants ?
    The reason why MetLife sucks is b.c it is so "vanilla". The Jets and Giants couldn't agree on anything so they went down the middle on everything. IMO they got absolutely robbed and so did the fans. $1.6B or whatever it was for a stadium with no roof and it is just so freakin ugly. I like playing in the elements but I wanted a roof b.c I wanted it to be louder. I love watching the Saints games and the Seahawks games. The noise makes a difference.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    You know what else helps? Effort by the fans.
    Bull***t.

You know what helps? Effort by the TEAM.

In the past 3 seasons I can't tell you how many quarters and halves of games were played just like the Miami game. Poor execution, lousy tackling, dumb penalties, confounding timeouts, lack of urgency, lousy playcalling, no halftime adjustments, and on and on.

And, not to mention, there are never any offensive touchdowns, only a handful of first downs, a boatload of three-and-outs. All the typical fan does all game is cheer the defense and it's exhausting to keep making noise on 3rd downs as if that's what we came to see.

The fans aren't the issue. We're the same group that was always there, but the best of that group, the ones willing to spend a lot of money, the ones who aren't piss drunk and making no noise at all. You've got more passionate fans who are paying attention more than ever, and we simply don't like what we're seeing.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    "Priced out?"

Tickets to Jets games have never been cheaper than they are today, and they're much easier to get via StubHub and even the Jets themselves.

Nice excuse. Try again.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    No fan sitting in mom's basement chomping pretzels can comment on the behavior of fans who spend $5,000 a year on tickets and parking and spend 7 hours each Sunday getting there and back. How dare you.

MetLife is a larger stadium with open walls to the outside. Giants Stadium was cozy, was noiser. Please point out a single game in MetLife where cheering acoustics cost us a win. You can't. It's a team issue, not a fan issue, not a noise issue.

SAR I

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The reason why MetLife sucks is b.c it is so "vanilla". The Jets and Giants couldn't agree on anything so they went down the middle on everything. IMO they got absolutely robbed and so did the fans. $1.6B or whatever it was for a stadium with no roof and it is just so freakin ugly. I like playing in the elements but I wanted a roof b.c I wanted it to be louder. I love watching the Saints games and the Seahawks games. The noise makes a difference.
    I was shocked when I saw the final designs and early photos of the stadium, mind numbingly bland.

There are dynamic cool stadiums out there, how so much money could be spent to produce something so flavourless boggles the mind.