Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd Noise

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    +1....i brought my lil one to opening day.....the lad wouldnt stop screaming D-FENSE. He understood that ppl would stand and i explained to him that some ppl use bad language and if he hears it, it doesnt mean its ok for him to use it. Although if i did hear excessive, unnecessary and constant cursing, i probably would have asked the guy to reign it in a bit - didnt need to.

My kid, and most others, aint the reason metlife is quiet.
    +1

Same here. I'm in Row 1 of the Mezzanine and I have a nice metal ribbon board to bang on too. My family is cheering on defense louder here than in GS, doing our part, but the fact is that the Jets play so badly and provide so little offense that as a fan it's an exhausting, frustrating experience. We're always on D, always in a third down, always need to make noise. And for what? For no sack? For a completion by the opponent and a blown tackle? For an incomplete?

When I was a kid the Jets knew how to light up the scoreboard. There was balance. These days, we attend defensive clinics. We must cheer 10x on D to distract the opponent for every 1x we do something as mundane as get a first down. Not a lot of entertainment value for all but the most diehard fans.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is some truth to what SAR says. The team is very frustrating and that permeates through the crowd. Screaming on third down only to watch out entire DL get stalemated at the LOS and our LBs get torched by a TE. It does get old. And there has been a lot of that the past couple of years. No big plays on either side of the ball.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Bull***t.

You know what helps? Effort by the TEAM.

In the past 3 seasons I can't tell you how many quarters and halves of games were played just like the Miami game. Poor execution, lousy tackling, dumb penalties, confounding timeouts, lack of urgency, lousy playcalling, no halftime adjustments, and on and on.

And, not to mention, there are never any offensive touchdowns, only a handful of first downs, a boatload of three-and-outs. All the typical fan does all game is cheer the defense and it's exhausting to keep making noise on 3rd downs as if that's what we came to see.

The fans aren't the issue. We're the same group that was always there, but the best of that group, the ones willing to spend a lot of money, the ones who aren't piss drunk and making no noise at all. You've got more passionate fans who are paying attention more than ever, and we simply don't like what we're seeing.

SAR I
    Complete bu11****. Woody turned the Jets from a diehard, beer and pretzels crowd to a snobbish, wine and cheese, "lets go because its an event" crowd. Throwing money at something does not make you better.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There is some truth to what SAR says. The team is very frustrating and that permeates through the crowd. Screaming on third down only to watch out entire DL get stalemated at the LOS and our LBs get torched by a TE. It does get old. And there has been a lot of that the past couple of years. No big plays on either side of the ball.
    It's not a game by game choice, it has to be every (when in it) game on all D downs not just 3rd, all year long because you never know when it will pay off, and trust me it will. It doesn't matter this fan base is way to diverse to get on the same page. It's funny, people subscribe to getting loud on 3rd down, why not get in their ear from the start why wait till 3rd down?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's the drawback of being one of the winningest and most dominant NFL teams for so long.

the fans demand perfection, and if they don't see it, they won't cheer.

lol

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bull***t.

The fans aren't the issue. We're the same group that was always there, but the best of that group, the ones willing to spend a lot of money, the ones who aren't piss drunk and making no noise at all. You've got more passionate fans who are paying attention more than ever, and we simply don't like what we're seeing.

Tickets to Jets games have never been cheaper than they are today, and they're much easier to get via StubHub and even the Jets themselves.

SAR I
    If these alert, money spending fans are so passionate, why are they selling so many of their tickets on Subhub?

Nice excuse. Try again.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Priced out?"

Tickets to Jets games have never been cheaper than they are today, and they're much easier to get via StubHub and even the Jets themselves.

Nice excuse. Try again.

SAR I
    Maybe your dumbest post ever... I havent missed a home game since 1992 and as recently as 1998, every ticket in the stadium was $25, there was no PSL, parking was $10 and you didnt have to buy preseason tickets... My two seats were $400 total ($200/each) for the season plus another $80 in parking... 14 years later they are $400/game ($200/each) plus $45/parking and i had to pay $15k/seat for the rights!

So lets do the math... $480/season for 2 tickets + parking < $4450/season for 2 tickets + parking... You are right - they have NEVER been cheaper... And 1 more thing - my old seats were in 131 (50 yard line) and im now on the 40 in the mezzanine so im paying more than 10 times what i was paying for a major downgrade
    Last edited by RichmondVA_Jets; 09-25-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's not a game by game choice, it has to be every (when in it) game on all D downs not just 3rd, all year long because you never know when it will pay off, and trust me it will. It doesn't matter this fan base is way to diverse to get on the same page. It's funny, people subscribe to getting loud on 3rd down, why not get in their ear from the start why wait till 3rd down?
    Because it is physically impossible to do that for a whole game unless you are on Meth. I cheer a lot and am one of the guys who slaps five with everyone around him after a play and tells everyone to get up. But some people don't care for that stuff.

My point was, last year the offense really took the life out of the crowd. It goes both ways. The fans feed off the players and the players feed off the crowd. So in that regard I do agree with SAR.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because it is physically impossible to do that for a whole game unless you are on Meth. I cheer a lot and am one of the guys who slaps five with everyone around him after a play and tells everyone to get up. But some people don't care for that stuff.

My point was, last year the offense really took the life out of the crowd. It goes both ways. The fans feed off the players and the players feed off the crowd. So in that regard I do agree with SAR.
    On D only, most downs, you don't have to be on Meth. The D feeds off the crowd. The real high dollar seats ruined any chance for everyone to be on the same page.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Complete bu11****. Woody turned the Jets from a diehard, beer and pretzels crowd to a snobbish, wine and cheese, "lets go because its an event" crowd. Throwing money at something does not make you better.
    Completely wrong, such a silly myth.

Try going to a few games, you'll see the blue collar drunks are still there. It's easier than ever to go to a game, they get seats, just only go to a game or two.

And if anyone's to blame for them not going anymore its them, not Woody Johnson. They're the ones who quit on the team, not him.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheering on defense is work.

Cheering for the offense is fun.

There's no balance. Rex Ryan's style of play creates boring football games. Way too many defensive stands, way too few offensive drives.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If these alert, money spending fans are so passionate, why are they selling so many of their tickets on Subhub?

Nice excuse. Try again.
    Because its impossible to go to all 10 home games each season. We have kids, soccer games, football games, dance, and wives that have a patience level that only goes so far.

So each year 2-3 games we don't attend. No different than it was in Giants Stadium, only back then there was no StubHub to keep track of how many tickets switched hands and instead of giving them away to neighbors maybe we can get a few bucks back.

Again, nothing has changed in the new stadium except the Jets who play mostly lousy, boring, heartless football.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichmondVA_Jets View Post
    Maybe your dumbest post ever... I havent missed a home game since 1992 and as recently as 1998, every ticket in the stadium was $25, there was no PSL, parking was $10 and you didnt have to buy preseason tickets... My two seats were $400 total ($200/each) for the season plus another $80 in parking... 14 years later they are $400/game ($200/each) plus $45/parking and i had to pay $15k/seat for the rights!

So lets do the math... $480/season for 2 tickets + parking < $4450/season for 2 tickets + parking... You are right - they have NEVER been cheaper... And 1 more thing - my old seats were in 131 (50 yard line) and im now on the 40 in the mezzanine so im paying more than 10 times what i was paying for a major downgrade
    I didn't mean for season tickets. I meant on a single-game basis.

The argument is "the blue collar types were thrown out, boo-hoo, and replaced with sushi eaters" which is bull***t because you can get a decent seat in practically every section for under face value if you use StubHub correctly.

These precious old-timers used the PSL process as an excuse to abandon the team. The reality is that they just don't want to go anymore. Eventually, dressing up like Fonzie and playing bad southern rock in an attempt to recreate the glory days of high school as you pass 50 isn't fulfilling.

Like you, the loyal fans stuck with the team and paid more than ever for that privilege. We're the heroes, these quitters need to keep their mouths shut.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheering on defense is work.

Cheering for the offense is fun.

There's no balance. Rex Ryan's style of play creates boring football games. Way too many defensive stands, way too few offensive drives.

SAR I
    You don't make noise on O, unless they score, that's a cheer to be earned.
    Making noise for the D can help the D which in turn helps the O, makes you feel like part of the kill. Don't you remember when we got game balls from the Patriot game? I'm not saying this applies when the team is really bad, we could still maybe make the playoffs? Since Rex has been here the D/team deserves our support they have not been 6-10.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I was shocked when I saw the final designs and early photos of the stadium, mind numbingly bland.

There are dynamic cool stadiums out there, how so much money could be spent to produce something so flavourless boggles the mind.
    Because we have to share it with another team?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mean for season tickets. I meant on a single-game basis.

The argument is "the blue collar types were thrown out, boo-hoo, and replaced with sushi eaters" which is bull***t because you can get a decent seat in practically every section for under face value if you use StubHub correctly.

These precious old-timers used the PSL process as an excuse to abandon the team. The reality is that they just don't want to go anymore. Eventually, dressing up like Fonzie and playing bad southern rock in an attempt to recreate the glory days of high school as you pass 50 isn't fulfilling.

Like you, the loyal fans stuck with the team and paid more than ever for that privilege. [I]We're[/I] the heroes, these quitters need to keep their mouths shut.

SAR I
    Hero? Really? Are you in the military? Did you rush into a burning building and save someone's life? Did you donate an organ? You are from from a hero. Once again having the extra money to piss away on something does not make you better than anyone else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't make noise on O, unless they score, that's a cheer to be earned.
    Making noise for the D can help the D which in turn helps the O, makes you feel like part of the kill. Don't you remember when we got game balls from the Patriot game? I'm not saying this applies when the team is really bad, we could still maybe make the playoffs? Since Rex has been here the D/team deserves our support they have not been 6-10.
    Early in the game we're all into it, the stadium is electric. But by halftime we're down 6-0 and we've seen 3 first downs, 20 missed tackles, and an opponent go 10 of 15 on 3rd downs.

We're the same people that got the game balls from Rex, but back then they gave 100% and so we gave 100%. Now they give 60% amd so we give 60%.

We could open the year 0-10 and we'd cheer wildly if they just gave a big effort. They never do.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDgreenN'white View Post
    Because we have to share it with another team?
    The Giants share their stadium with another team and just won the Super Bowl.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fans have showed up for 1 game in the entire Rex Ryan era. That was the home game in 2009 vs. New England in the old stadium.

Having said that, the team on the field does little to inspire us as well.

Jets home games seems to be an even split between 3 types of people:
    1) casual fans and families who come late and leave after 3 quarters and make zero noise
    2) the older fans from Shea Stadium who are too old and jaded to stand up and make noise
    3) younger fans who are actually loud but can't afford a good seat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hero? Really? Are you in the military? Did you rush into a burning building and save someone's life? Did you donate an organ? You are from from a hero. Once again having the extra money to piss away on something does not make you better than anyone else.
    From a fan perspective there are quitters and there are heroes.

Quitter: Had great seats down low between the 30's in Giants Stadium, sold half of them for a profit each season, attended the other half for free. Soon as PSL's were launched and they actually had to pay money for their seats they took off. Sits on couch, chomps pretzels, spends 3 hours at home with the wife and kids.

Hero: had crappy seats in the upper deck end zones in Giants Stadium, wait listed for a decade, no movement. Soon as PSL's were launched they signed up, writing huge checks, finally getting the chance to upgrade to a decent view after decades of waiting. Drives to stadium, sits in seats, cheers, invests 7 hours away from the home and wife and kids.

Money has nothing to do with getting into the stadium, cheap tickets on StubHub every game. But the cash-cow of old timers selling tickets to Patriots and Dolphins fans at 2x face value is over. The minute that gravy train ended, they took off. The minute the Jets said "Hey, we gave you great seats for 20 years now its someone else's turn", they took off. The minute the Jets didn't make the playoffs after back to back AFCCG's, they took off. They suck. They have no right to criticize those of us that actually make an effort.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 09-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.