Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 272

Thread: REPLACEMENT REFS ARE RUINING THE GAME

  1. #241
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    So you're saying that if a player makes a catch while in the air, the ball is free for the taking to anyone who has their feet on the ground, as long as they can keep him in the air until they get the ball? Sounds like fun!
    I thought about SMC's scenario long before he posted the question.

    You, Carlton, and SMC are saying Tate needed a clean, complete, strip-away to make the completion his.

    I dunno.

    If they're airborne simultaneously and the second guy brings it down first, then I agree with Eric Davis.

  2. #242
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Wait, you mean you haven't been drinking all along?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    A.) Blow me. B.) I did. That's great that you picked one NFL player who agrees with you! Yay! They usually know the rules better than former refs right? I could link you 10 to 1 who disagree with you. So who to believe? The vast majority of NFL players and personnel or jetrider throwing accusations of me drinking while I'm giving you clear explanations of my point. I think I'll go with the the NFL people.

    Edit: And I love that I'm the drunk one when you disagree with everyone in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    LOL. All alcoholics get "touchy" when accused of drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    My apologies.

    Didn't know the word "alcoholic" struck a nerve with you. LOL

    Chill out, Pedro
    Enough with the name calling kids - the play doesn't even affect our team. There are dozens of people on here debating, not calling each other names or requesting fellatio from the other.

  3. #243
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    My apologies.

    Didn't know the word "alcoholic" struck a nerve with you. LOL

    Chill out, Pedro
    Not at all I just don't see the reason to stoop to "you must be drunk" when losing an argument. If you can't admit you're wrong at this point you are embarrassing yourself. I gave you an excerpt from an NFL rule book of the exact same scenario. As stated many times before that you are the one insinuating who comes down first matters. It doesn't. In this rule or any other. Take your medicine dude.

  4. #244
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I thought about SMC's scenario long before he posted the question.

    You, Carlton, and SMC are saying Tate needed a clean, complete, strip-away to make the completion his.

    I dunno.

    If they're airborne simultaneously and the second guy brings it down first, then I agree with Eric Davis.
    No, I'm saying that if Jennings had control first (he did) and retains uninterrupted control as he went to the ground (he did), it doesn't matter what/when/how Tate did anything. Jennings would have had to lose control before they hit the ground.

    Once Jennings established that he was the first to control it, then converts it to a catch by landing on the ground with control, Tate is irrelevant.

    And once they go to the ground, the play is dead.

  5. #245
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Not at all I just don't see the reason to stoop to "you must be butt-chugging" when losing an argument. If you can't admit you're wrong at this point you are embarrassing yourself. I gave you an excerpt from an NFL rule book of the exact same scenario. As stated many times before that you are the one insinuating who comes down first matters. It doesn't. In this rule or any other. Take your medicine dude.
    fixed

  6. #246
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    fixed
    How dare you!

  7. #247
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    How dare you!
    It was wine so at least it was cl-assy.

  8. #248
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Thanks / Like

  9. #249
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    No, I'm saying that if Jennings had control first (he did) and retains uninterrupted control as he went to the ground (he did), it doesn't matter what/when/how Tate did anything. Jennings would have had to lose control before they hit the ground.
    Same thing. That's what I said; a complete takeaway.

    Once Jennings established that he was the first to control it, then converts it to a catch by landing on the ground with control, Tate is irrelevant.

    And once they go to the ground, the play is dead.
    I follow the argument you guys are making.

    Also, it's not as if MDJ had the ball all that cleanly for long without Tate's hand on it.

    It's a fraction of a second at best.

    Enough to establish control? I guess that's the final argument.

    Now watch and listen to Eric Davis' explanation, please ... enjoy ...

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

  10. #250
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    5,146
    Post Thanks / Like
    99% of fans see it as an INT. Thats my prediction

  11. #251
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Same thing. That's what I said; a complete takeaway.



    I follow the argument you guys are making.

    Also, it's not as if MDJ had the ball all that cleanly for long without Tate's hand on it.

    It's a fraction of a second at best.

    Enough to establish control? I guess that's the final argument.

    Now watch and listen to Eric Davis' explanation, please ... enjoy ...

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack
    Every time I click that link items nothing like you say it is, no Eric Davis...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  12. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Same thing. That's what I said; a complete takeaway.



    I follow the argument you guys are making.

    Also, it's not as if MDJ had the ball all that cleanly for long without Tate's hand on it.

    It's a fraction of a second at best.

    Enough to establish control? I guess that's the final argument.

    Now watch and listen to Eric Davis' explanation, please ... enjoy ...

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack
    Dude let me make it really simple: Tate never established control of the ball. Jennings never lost control of the ball. He maintained control through the entire catch.

    Tate didn't catch the ball in the first place, according to the rules, so your argument is completely moot.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 09-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.

  13. #253
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Every time I click that link items nothing like you say it is, no Eric Davis...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I just clicked the link and it works fine via computer (not sure about cell phones).

    You have to wait for it to load, takes a few, then starts with a bs commercial.

    But, trust me, it's there and very complete.

  14. #254
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Hey it's the NFL owners that are.

    Don't blame these refs. They are way out of their league.

    This is the owners product. They are to blame.
    Just heard on Kudlow that a ref makes $7,450 per game. Thats $149,000 a year for part time work.

    Seems that the refs union has some responsibility here.....

  15. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Just heard on Kudlow that a ref makes $7,450 per game. Thats $149,000 a year for part time work.

    Seems that the refs union has some responsibility here.....
    They should. And you wanna know why? Because they are WAY less likely to fix a game that has a multi-billion dollar swing in gambling or ratings if they are paid well.

    Temptation and surroundings is the number one destroyer of integrity and cheating. Put a guy who is used to making 30-40k a year in a position for someone to offer to set him up for life financially, knowing they probably won't even keep this job, and what you have is a brewery for corruption.
    Last edited by Whichfan; 09-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.

  16. #256
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    They should. And you wanna know why? Because they are WAY less likely to fix a game that has a multi-billion dollar swing in gambling or ratings if they are paid well.

    Temptation and surroundings is the number one destroyer of integrity and cheating. Put a guy who is used to making 30-40k a year in a position for someone to offer to set him up for life financially, knowing they probably won't even keep this job, and what you have is a brewery for corruption.
    I dont care what they are paid...the 150K for part time work didn't phase me except in that it seems pretty good. I understand its the guaranteed pension and refs ability to NOT be fired as issues.

    as an aside....I've heard your point before but IMO a 500K or 1M bribe will cross the mind of a dishonest person earning 30K or 500K. No one is suggesting these guys take a pay cut. I imagine they are all working millionaires anyway.

  17. #257
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Just heard on Kudlow that a ref makes $7,450 per game. Thats $149,000 a year for part time work.

    Seems that the refs union has some responsibility here.....
    that is way higher than anything I've seen anywhere else

    As of May 2011, NFL referees earn anywhere from $25,000 to $70,000 per season, according to Job Employment Guide's website. This is among the lowest annual salary for any group of referees for professional sports in the United States. The 16-game NFL season -- the shortest in professional sports -- somewhat mitigates this low salary. The short season also makes NFL referees part-time employees, leaving these professionals to pursue other employment during the off-season, which can help increase overall income for the year.

    Pay Per Game
    Games officiated determines the pay structure for an NFL referee. A referee only gets paid for games he actually officiates, just as NFL players receive varying degrees of pay based on being on the active roster or on the inactive list. This accounts for the wide swing in referee salary, as not every official is available for every game. The sporadic nature of pay for an NFL referee is part of the reason why the NFL Referee's Association has repeatedly sought pay increases over the years.


    Read more: How Much Do NFL Referees Make a Year? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8484787_muc...#ixzz27Wmo2n8j

  18. #258
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    that is way higher than anything I've seen anywhere else





    Read more: How Much Do NFL Referees Make a Year? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8484787_muc...#ixzz27Wmo2n8j
    Who knows but Kudlow was reading from a report. The below report isa what he must have had. Who knows?

    http://www.humanevents.com/2012/09/2...sly-suspected/

    Bloomberg Businessweek offers a concise breakdown of the dispute between the professional referees and the NFL, which resembles another high-profile labor dispute recently settled in Chicago:

    However trifling in a financial sense, the lockout reflects a larger trend in the American workplace. The NFL and the NFLRA are wrestling over the same issues that dominated America’s other widely watched labor dispute: the Chicago teachers strike. While most accounts have focused on the NFL’s desire to do away with the NFLRA’s pension plan as the central sticking point in negotiations, a less talked-about, but equally contentious, issue is pay for performance. The NFL wants to increase the number of officials to 141, creating a bench of trained referees who could be brought in to give other referees a break, but also to replace those referees who the league feels have been blowing calls. A league spokesman said, “If a guy is underperforming, we could take a guy and sit him down for a while and bring someone else up.”

    NFL officials make an average of $149,000 per year, and the league has suggested annual 7 percent increases that would raise the regular salary to $189,000 by 2018. While that’s good money for a part-time gig, NFL referees, like players, are paid by the game. If an official misses a few games because of a few bad calls, that can cut into compensation.

  19. #259
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    LOL. There's no such thing as "possession" or "control" in mid air.

    The feet must come down to complete the catch.
    weren't you on the casey anthony jury?

  20. #260
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    I like the back and forth between everyone on this.. I wanna add a few more bits of info to sway your opinions.

    There are rules where the ball can cross the goal line, but your not in the end zone and that's a touchdown.

    There are rule where you can be in the end zone and catch a ball outside of the endzone (over the out of bounds line) and that's a touchdown.

    We've seen Calvin Johnson make a 1 handed catch and maintain possession while placing the ball on the ground in the act of completing a catch. and that was not a touch down.

    So now we have probably the worst judgement call possible, because the ball never touched the ground, and nobody was out of bounds, and you have rules written about dual possession that can be up for interpretation.

    The whole endzone rule book needs a reboot. Its not just these refs.
    The NFL rule book is the worst in sports. It makes the US Tax Code read like a limerick.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us