Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: REPLACEMENT REFS ARE RUINING THE GAME

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    I am getting "footballed out" for the first time in my life. Rule changes, poor officiating, Thursday games every week. The NFL is ruining the product and saturating us with it.
    I'm not at that point, but I had a similar feeling when college football began having a game every night of the week and the BCS was blowing up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are about 20 different things wrong with the way that game just ended:

- Golden Tate pushed off in the back on a Packer. That's a clear penalty.

- Jennings clearly has posession. He picked that off.

- THEY REVIEWED THAT PLAY AND GOT IT WRONG.

- The 2 referees in the end zone looked at each other, seemingly confirming their calls. They then proceeded to make different calls. /fail

- This all took place on the final play of the game. The undisputed final play of the game. There is no way the game doesn't end on that play at that point. You can't make the case that different things happen over the course of a game. There's no doubt the refs stole a game.

Then there are positives:

- Someone had to be the fall guy to get negotiations moving. Packers were the unlucky team.

- Embarrassed the league on a national ESPN game.

- If the NFL has any sliver of shame, the real refs are ready for Thursday night in Baltimore.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raiders got robbed on the tuck rule, regular refs
    Jets win in Seattle on VT's sneak, regular refs.

I agree they stink, but it seems to be total incompetence instead of favoring one team. Notice the normal front runners are having issues winning games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Bad call, but maybe a little karmic payback for the 2010 Jets-Packers game where the Packers got two INTs on simultaneous possession plays that (maybe) should have been Jets receptions.
    Yes, same deal where the def had tbe ball first, but it is who has it after the scrum gets it and Tate had it... At least that was how it was explained during the Jets/Pack game in '10.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno if the real refs would have made the right call either at the end of the Packers/Seahawks game though. There are a lot of issues with these replacement refs, such as non-holding calls, phantom pass interference calls, etc. because the players are fully aware that these guys don't know all the tricks, and the players are intentionally deceiving the refs. And the control over the game and the time of the games is pretty bad too. But a lot of the big blown calls aren't exactly unique to these replacement refs. The regular refs screw them up all the time as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey it's the NFL owners that are.

Don't blame these refs. They are way out of their league.

This is the owners product. They are to blame.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Yes, same deal where the def had tbe ball first, but it is who has it after the scrum gets it and Tate had it... At least that was how it was explained during the Jets/Pack game in '10.
    Finally someone who gets it....i said the same thing as soon as the play happened. ive seen that call go against the jets before with the regular refs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was an easy call. THEY BLEW IT BAD

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Its really hard to get into the games when ya know its gonna be an epic wreck that has a yellow hankie on the ground almost every play
    +1

You really need to feel like the play on the field will decide the game, and that certainly didn't happen tonight, and there have been many calls in other games like the PI's and roughing calls tonight, who knows if they changed those games. Here it was clear cut though. Jennings got the ball in his hands first (clearly, so not simultaneous) and had the ball in 2 hands, clutched to his chest while Tate got one awkwardly bent arm reached in. No doubt in my mind that's an INT, and that if the ref didn't signal TD so quickly, they would have come to the right conclusion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jenning had control of the ball. Period

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Hey it's the NFL owners that are.

Don't blame these refs. They are way out of their league.

This is the owners product. They are to blame.
    This is a fact. These refs have no chance. D2 to the NFL with no time/training to adjust. It's an impossible task for them. Just learning the nuances of the rule book in the NFL will take a year or more.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    McCarthy wants to kill someone in his presser

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    on a lighter note, I thought this crap only happened to the Jets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @ByJohnNicholson: Seriously, result of that game is something that could be fixed tomorrow morning.

Phoenix-based AP Sports Writer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Bad call, but maybe a little karmic payback for the 2010 Jets-Packers game where the Packers got two INTs on simultaneous possession plays that (maybe) should have been Jets receptions.
    that's all I kept thinking when the play went down.

**** the Packers, I'm glad it happened to them. as one of the league's emblematic franchises, the NFL will be forced to take action.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ByJohnNicholson: Seriously, result of that game is something that could be fixed tomorrow morning.

Phoenix-based AP Sports Writer
    Absolutely no chance in hell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rodgers just said "having a kicking ball for that two point conversion didn't help." Ha.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Raiders got robbed on the tuck rule, regular refs
    Jets win in Seattle on VT's sneak, regular refs.

I agree they stink, but it seems to be total incompetence instead of favoring one team. Notice the normal front runners are having issues winning games.
    The Giants wouldn't have made it into the SB last year without poor officiating from the refs last year. And you're right, they do seem to be playing no favorites with the incompetence.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    This play will get the real refs every dime they want. Thank god Goodell gets paid 20 mil a year to get us an additional game in London that no one wants.
    The NFL doesn't care about the money. They want to be able to discipline the incompetent, or arrogant officials, and fire them if need be. They want them to pass tests, and be better trained. They also want an extra crew in case one screws up. Basically they want to bust the union, and make it performance based instead of seniority based.