Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: REPLACEMENT REFS ARE RUINING THE GAME

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it was a catch?

The Jets game vs the Packers (Packers won 6-3) in 2010 comes to mind. Keller caught two balls but as he was going to the ground Woodson came up with it and it was ruled a pick. Keller clearly had control first, but there was simultaneous control going to the ground and Woodson came up with it.

Here, Jennings had control first
    , but there was clear simultaneous control going to the ground. In fact, by the time Jennings had both feet on the ground there was simultaneous possession. Now, since both players kept the hands on the ball, the rule is clear that the tie goes to the offense. The rules don't say to look at who has "more possession," there's no such thing as "more possession." They both had possession because they both had their hands on the ball and the tie goes to the receiver. (the Cromartie Austin simultaneous catch the first game of 2011 comes to mind as well.)

I simple don't care that one player had the ball closer to the chest while the other player had hands on the ball because the rules don't differentiate to which player had better possession.
    Simultaneous Catch: If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

Jennings had control first, so thats not a simultaneous catch by Tate, according to the rulebook.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Area51 View Post
    Simultaneous Catch: If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

Jennings had control first, so thats not a simultaneous catch by Tate, according to the rulebook.
    Jennings had brief control in the air but not when he came down.

Tate had both hands on it too when Jennings landed his feet.

I didn't watch the game, but every local news station in south fla is talking about it. That was an atrocious call! I will be getting the rest of my nfl news here until the real refs are brought back. No more games! No more nfl.com. We gotta make the league feel it! Imagine if that was the Jets!!! I would probably have a broken tv and I'd be sleeping at my moms this week!

Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Raiders got robbed on the tuck rule, regular refs
    Jets win in Seattle on VT's sneak, regular refs.

I agree they stink, but it seems to be total incompetence instead of favoring one team. Notice the normal front runners are having issues winning games.

The tuck rule stinks, but it was a valid call of the rule and has not changed in the ten years since. Yesterdays call of simultaneous catch was not the right call. Big difference.

You guys thought it was funny that the pats got phantom calls on them that contributed to the pats loss to the ravens. As you point out in the jets win and also the blocking call on Hasselback in the SB bad calls have happened before but at least they were done by the best people not by scrubs.

It appears to me that Jennings had both hands on the ball and Tate one when the catch was made. While one handed catches are made, two hands are better than one.

Sure the regular refs sucked, but make no mistake they were far better than the ones being run out there now.

Frankly I find it absolutely hilarious. The cheap bastard billionaire owners that refuse to part with an extra nickel have made the most popular game in North America a laugh riot and they could give two ****s. They clearly have no shame. Really I'm not upset just amused.

These suckers that dish out for PSLs and now get this in return? Jeebus I'd be demanding my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Ive been a football fan for 40 years now and Have suffered mostly being a Jet fan but alll that kidding aside, this is the worst year Ive ever seen as far as officiating goes. The NFL is a billion dollar business and these guys through no fault of their own are ruining the games. Its ridiculous. It needs to change in a hurry.
    Bullshlt, the regular refs have been F'ing our Jets over all of our lives, the only differences is now its also happening to the league princes. F them, do you have a short memory? 2 years ago we had three of those simultaneous catch plays in the game against these whiners from GreenBay, and the tie is supposed to go to the Offense and the "regular" refs gave all three to the Packers defensive guys. They totally F'ed us. These replacement refs got it right, tie goes to the offense."

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Imagine if that was against the Jets....
    It happened to us THREE times 2 years ago when we played the Packers, the Packers defenders jumped in late to get their hands on it and it should have been at the least a simultaneous catch which is awarded to the offense but the great "regular" refs gave all three to them. These refs got it right, sick of this bullshlt

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Bad call, but maybe a little karmic payback for the 2010 Jets-Packers game where the Packers got two INTs on simultaneous possession plays that (maybe) should have been Jets receptions.
    Exactly, and it was three times, the refs f'ed us alot worse than the Packers got last night

Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Raiders got robbed on the tuck rule, regular refs
    Jets win in Seattle on VT's sneak, regular refs.

I agree they stink, but it seems to be total incompetence instead of favoring one team. Notice the normal front runners are having issues winning games.
    Dead on

Quote Originally Posted by CaliJetsFan View Post
    Finally someone who gets it....i said the same thing as soon as the play happened. ive seen that call go against the jets before with the regular refs.
    Exactly

Jets Insider VIP
    some of you didnt see the play last night im guessing. it was clearly an int

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Old refs blew calls every single week last year, and every year before that. I don't get what is the big deal? Old refs have their agendas and loved to script games, the new refs are just dumb.

whats the problem? both old and new refs made a difference in the outcome of games.
    Coudnt agree with you more, I like these guys better, they dont play favorites

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Sure the regular refs sucked, but make no mistake they were far better than the ones being run out there now.

Frankly I find it absolutely hilarious. The cheap bastard billionaire owners that refuse to part with an extra nickel have made the most popular game in North America a laugh riot and they could give two ****s. They clearly have no shame. Really I'm not upset just amused.

These suckers that dish out for PSLs and now get this in return? Jeebus I'd be demanding my money back.

This 100%

It is a disgrace!!!

I guess paying refs almost nothing makes them less likely to take money under the table to say fix a call here or there.

The Owner's Greed is Disgusting!!!

All League
    The regular refs agreed to drop pensions for any new people coming on and forever therafter. They simply wanted the refs who are already in the system to be grandfathered in. The owners reportedly are refusing to do, not due to expense, but because it may set a precedent for other NFL employees who may subsequently strike. This view is terribly shortsighted.

Who cares if behind the scenes NFL employees strike? The only people who truly affect the product (game) are the coaches, players and officials.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    regular refs sucked as well and had an agenda
    + 1 bajillion

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Imagine if that was against the Jets....
    our time will come....you can count on that...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Bullshlt, the regular refs have been F'ing our Jets over all of our lives, the only differences is now its also happening to the league princes. F them, do you have a short memory? 2 years ago we had three of those simultaneous catch plays in the game against these whiners from GreenBay, and the tie is supposed to go to the Offense and the "regular" refs gave all three to the Packers defensive guys. They totally F'ed us. These replacement refs got it right, tie goes to the offense."
    I also agree with this!!!

Practice Squad

I don't think you are correct because a player cannot have possession until he holds the ball with both feet on the ground.