Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm losing interest in the NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Weren't they talking about having a rule against having games that close together anymore after it happened last year?
    They always make rules after they screw the Jets and Oakland, that is just the way it is!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    I could never lose interest in the NFL, I'll always watch.. but I lost my emotional investment a long time ago.

A bad Jets loss used to haunt me for days, now? About a half hour. These guys make too much money and I don't.
    I'm with you there. Just because I picked a ****ty franchise to root for doesn't mean that others around me should have to pay the price for it.

Plus there is always awfully good weather in the month of September and October, Id rather spend time with my kids outdoors instead.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    Ditto. I'm getting tired of professional sports, period. It's getting harder to find someone you can hang your hat on, someone you can truly get behind.
    aGREED

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I'm with you there. Just because I picked a ****ty franchise to root for doesn't mean that others around me should have to pay the price for.

Plus there is always awfully good weather in the month of September and October, Id rather spend time with my kids outdoors instead.
    Your getting older ... More mature .... That's all .. Kids coming up these days love the NFL ... It looks nothing like when I was a kid ... The nostalgia factor is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The Jets game was a mess. 20 minutes of action that went over 4 hours. Between the commercials and the lack of control by the officials the flow of the game is gone.

I'm sure the fans in the stands are just as frustrated watching players stand around scratching their balls as the TV viewers watching an endless loop of Dorito’s commercials. The NFL is very close to having an unwatchable product. The game has got to be speeded up or it’s over. I’ve seen golf tournaments with more sustained action.
    This may be a good thing for us. This team can never get flowing, where others do. So this should be the norm for us. BRILLIANT!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I never thought I would. I am a die hard football fan. Players holding out, lockouts, scandals, replacement refs.

Tonights embarrassment would have me stop watching the rest of the season if it was the Jets.
    Not to mention 5 year olds etc.( for big games ) in the stands, games across seas, opposing fans aloud to talk smack, more teams thins the league, no hitting on d, etc. etc..

All Pro
    Ditto. I'm getting tired of professional sports, period. It's getting harder to find someone you can hang your hat on, someone you can truly get behind.
    +1

Sports are about the almighty dollar for the owner. Nothing else. Not just in the NFL but across all professional sports. The true nature of the game is being sacrificed for storylines. And don't get me started on Vegas' role in ruining sports.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    We had to do that last year except we had to take a 5 hour flight to Denver two time zones across the country. At least Baltimore plays both at home.
    Exactly!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    I'm with. Although I came to this decision when I became convinced the only possible explanation for whats been happening with Super bowls and playoff games the past decade is game rigging. I treat it more like the WWE now though. Don't try to take it so seriously and I no longer believe good teams, and hard working teams will be rewarded.
    +1000000000

I urge you all to look into this, you might be astonished at what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I said the same thing several years ago out here and I was villified.

The sad thing is more and more fans are thinking the same thing and the owners Greed is the source.
    I actually did a statistical research in the probability of outcomes based on seeding and tournament format structure vs outcomes, and was honestly too afraid to post the results because I knew most people would call me crazy. This isn't sad. This is good in my opinion precisely because if you were to even bring it up you would get scolded beyond belief since no way in shape of form could an underpaid referee, now brought to you by the Lingirie football league, would ever be swayed by the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS flowing through the gambling industry each ear in football betting. At least now people will start questioning the "integrity of the game", because when something is so blatant and outrageous, you have to start using some logic and begin realizing "incompetence" just simply isn't a logical explanation anymore. They get off the hook too easy.

Check your Super Bowl winners the past 10 years. Check your seeds and compare it to accepted tournament format structure statistics and probability percentages. They are waaay out of wack. The chances of ALL 6 different seeds winning a superbowl in the past 6 years, including 2 number 6 seeds in the past 7 as well as a number 5, despite the fact the top 2 seeds have 1 fewer game to play.....is so improbable, it's nearly imossible. All this while still being able to offer us a favorable matchups like a #1 vs #1 match in the same time span.

Over the span of about 1 hundred thousand championships you might expect to see this pattern once, but the NFL isn't even 1 hundred years old. The higher seed has lost at a rate of over 85% in the big game. Upsets happen in every sport, but in the NFL, the underdog IS the favorite...especially if there's billions of dollars riding on those underdogs coming out as winners. It's also worth pointing out it all started getting more out of wack around the time FLEX scheduling was introduced. By comparison prior to about this time, number 6 seeds never even appeared in a Super Bowl in the history of the NFL, yet in the past 7 years 2 have won it. Neither has the number 5 seed.

Simpy put, the design of a tournament structure, has a mathematical probability pattern behind it. It's designed to produce a certain expected set of seeding results over a long period of time. And in the NFL, the winning seeds seem so elegantly aligned, that the most obvious explanation isn't a statistical improbability, but cherry picking.

Hall Of Fame
    Whatever floats your boat of course but Tom Brady is well known to be a player you can truly get behind I am not sure if he will let you hang your hat on him though.

On a more serious note and I know there is a prospective lockout there too but I have long felt that hockey is the least spoiled-by-TV of any of the major sports. Let's Go Rangers.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    I actually did a statistical research in the probability of outcomes based on seeding and tournament format structure vs outcomes, and was honestly too afraid to post the results because I knew most people would call me crazy. This isn't sad. This is good in my opinion precisely because if you were to even bring it up you would get scolded beyond belief since no way in shape of form could an underpaid referee, now brought to you by the Lingirie football league, would ever be swayed by the BILLIONS OF DOLLARS flowing through the gambling industry each ear in football betting. At least now people will start questioning the "integrity of the game", because when something is so blatant and outrageous, you have to start using some logic and begin realizing "incompetence" just simply isn't a logical explanation anymore. They get off the hook too easy.

Check your Super Bowl winners the past 10 years. Check your seeds and compare it to accepted tournament format structure statistics and probability percentages. They are waaay out of wack. The chances of ALL 6 different seeds winning a superbowl in the past 6 years, including 2 number 6 seeds in the past 7 as well as a number 5, despite the fact the top 2 seeds have 1 fewer game to play.....is so improbable, it's nearly imossible. All this while still being able to offer us a favorable matchups like a #1 vs #1 match in the same time span.

Over the span of about 1 hundred thousand championships you might expect to see this pattern once, but the NFL isn't even 1 hundred years old. The higher seed has lost at a rate of over 85% in the big game. Upsets happen in every sport, but in the NFL, the underdog IS the favorite...especially if there's billions of dollars riding on those underdogs coming out as winners. It's also worth pointing out it all started getting more out of wack around the time FLEX scheduling was introduced. By comparison prior to about this time, number 6 seeds never even appeared in a Super Bowl in the history of the NFL, yet in the past 7 years 2 have won it. Neither has the number 5 seed.

Simpy put, the design of a tournament structure, has a mathematical probability pattern behind it. It's designed to produce a certain expected set of seeding results over a long period of time. And in the NFL, the winning seeds seem so elegantly aligned, that the most obvious explanation isn't a statistical improbability, but cherry picking.
    Very interesting stuff here. And without the math you put in here, for the naked eye it appears that the NFL's big thing is PARITY. In the NBA it's the large market teams who win all the rings (with exception to the spurs, who have a superstar player)

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Very interesting stuff here. And without the math you put in here, for the naked eye it appears that the NFL's big thing is PARITY. In the NBA it's the large market teams who win all the rings (with exception to the spurs, who have a superstar player)

In a profit sharing league like the NFL, what exactly does the NFL have to win by Arizona beating a huge fan base like the Pittsburgh Steelers in a Super Bowl? How many billions would they lose in sales if Arizona did win? And why would an owner complain when he is likely to profit MORE by his opponent winning? Because they care about YOU, the fan? Because of "tradition" and some gold trophy?

This is a business. Winning in business means big profits. Not football championships. And remember, today, "big market teams" aren't just those that reside in big markets. Some teams have fans all over the country and their fan base expands way beyond their markets.

This isn't the only freaking sport that uses a seeded, single elimination tournament structure and salary cap to level the playing field. Yet no other sport to my knowledge has this near perfect parity we see in the NFL.

Veteran
    I don't buy conspiracy theories at all - espc. because playoff games seem to be even more free-flowing [fewer penalties] than regular season games. And I can't recall a recent playoff game affected by refs calls in any real way.

The seeding effect is overstated - because when you have parity in the league the actual difference between those 1-6 is quite small - to the extent that WHOMEVER makes the most plays on that day is the winner. As an example, this was the case for the Giants last year in both the SF game and SB. The game has gotten much more tactical.

But I do agree that the NFL product is getting to be a bit ridiculous. All the ref stuff aside, the games are starting to resemble basketball where the outcome is often determined by who scores last and who gets a penalty called on them. Some of these games have been real boring pitch-and-catch; they look like pickup games.

I don't know exactly what rules I would change - does anyone have an idea? Less hitting is going to be a part of the modern NFL otherwise the sport may not even exist in 20 years.

What's the over under of head coaches dying of strokes due to flipping out over replay?

If I was a head coach, I wouldn't show up for my next game. I'd tell the whole team to stay back until we get some real refs here.

This isn't even football.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I don't buy conspiracy theories at all - espc. because playoff games seem to be even more free-flowing [fewer penalties] than regular season games. And I can't recall a recent playoff game affected by refs calls in any real way.

The seeding effect is overstated - because when you have parity in the league the actual difference between those 1-6 is quite small - to the extent that WHOMEVER makes the most plays on that day is the winner. As an example, this was the case for the Giants last year in both the SF game and SB. The game has gotten much more tactical.

But I do agree that the NFL product is getting to be a bit ridiculous. All the ref stuff aside, the games are starting to resemble basketball where the outcome is often determined by who scores last and who gets a penalty called on them. Some of these games have been real boring pitch-and-catch; they look like pickup games.

I don't know exactly what rules I would change - does anyone have an idea? Less hitting is going to be a part of the modern NFL otherwise the sport may not even exist in 20 years.

Then you didn't watch Pittsburgh vs Seattle. And 4 years later even Bill Leavy admitted his "mistake"...
    “It was a tough thing for me,” Levy said in reference to his infamous performance in Pittsburgh’s 21-10 win over the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. “I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter
    and I impacted the game and as an official you never want to do that. It
    left me with a lot of sleepless nights and I think about it constantly.
    I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-to-seahawks/
    At some point, you gotta start questioning when it's a mistake and when it's more than a mistake, and we have been way past that point for some time now. He kicked it alright, he kicked it over to whoever he was instructed to kick it over to. And if I was him, I'd have a hard time sleeping too...but it wouldn't eat me up as much if it was an honest mistake.

This is the best you are ever going to get from these guys as far as coming clean. They don't want to be outcasts of society, put behind bars, or swarmed with death threats. The rest is up to you. Believe what you want to believe.

Personally if 1 billion dollars is riding on throwing or not throwing a yellow flag, I'm inclined to believe that's more than enough persuasion to make a mistake.

Haha...

mark schlereth ‏@markschlereth
    NFL, Vince McMahon called, said he can no longer watch the game, it's just to fake and unrealistic!!!

Per First Take...the game last night wasn't 250 million in gambling...it was 1 BILLION dollars!!!

LMFAO!

Suckas if you keep betting on this sport! Just think how much money is on a Super Bowl.