Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play more conservatively now ?

Play more conservatively now ?

Schematically, the Jets defense will change without Revis. Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine have said Revis' ability to shut down the opponent's top receiver allows them to be aggressive with blitzes. They will have to play more conservatively now. This is a recipe for disaster and opposing QB's are going to pick this defense apart layer by layer.

Jets Insider VIP
    allows them to be aggressive with blitzes.
    Bullsh!t. I think we are less aggressive with revis because we know he can cover a guy if we do not get to the qb.

We need to be super aggressive as now our corners wont be able to cover as long.

Seahawks had 8 sacks in 1 half last night. And we didnt register one sack in week 1 or week 3.

Time to change the defense and bring everything and the kitchen sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I think we are less aggressive with revis because we know he can cover a guy if we do not get to the qb.

We need to be super aggressive as now our corners wont be able to cover as long.
    This.

IF Rex chooses the "less aggressive" option (as if it were possible to be less aggressive than we've been), we lose. Alot.

All League
    Agree with the two above, I would love to see the stats but it seems they blitz less compared to when Rex called the defense.

They have to change something, my gut tells me that will only happen after they get burned a couple of times because that's how they operate.

I believe this thread should warrant relevant and good conversation in the coming weeks.

All League
    Our goal should be to play like we did in PIT. We stopped the run, controlled
    their WR's from making big plays and got excellent pressure. The problem
    was you were playing the most difficult QB to sack. If we weren't playing
    Rapeisberger we would have had 7-8 sacks and would've won the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Schematically, the Jets defense will change without Revis. Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine have said Revis' ability to shut down the opponent's top receiver allows them to be aggressive with blitzes. They will have to play more conservatively now. This is a recipe for disaster and opposing QB's are going to pick this defense apart layer by layer.
    God, no. We are way too conservative already.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    They have not been aggressive blitzing this year at all.

I'd like to see us go back to the Defense of 2009 when Rex was blitzing on every other down.

not trying to troll but, I think the best Defenses can pressure/sack the QB without blitzing(Giants last year). If somehow Rex can get a 4 man rush, that brings consistant pressure then we would be good to go.

Wilkerson, Ellis/Devito,Pouha,Coples - for managable down and distance
    Pace,Wilkerson,Coples,Maybin- for 3rd and long???

If you blitz and don't quite get there, you could get burned. With rushing just 4, you leave 7 in coverage.
    BIG IFs huh
    Last edited by endgameeugenics; 09-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    They have not been aggressive blitzing this year at all.

I'd like to see us go back to the Defense of 2009 when Rex was blitzing on every other down.
    this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Bullsh!t. I think we are less aggressive with revis because we know he can cover a guy if we do not get to the qb.

Seahawks had 8 sacks in 1 half last night. And we didnt register one sack in week 1 or week 3.

Time to change the defense and bring everything and the kitchen sink.
    Pretty much the case, heck I believe Rex also said the same Monday..

See I think he's gonna play a lot of zone,and play more of a bend but don't break style,not saying I agree with that,but I don't see him dialing up more blitzes

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    See I think he's gonna play a lot of zone,and play more of a bend but don't break style,not saying I agree with that,but I don't see him dialing up more blitzes
    Rex should dial up alot more blitzes and try to minimize the amount of time the corners have to cover....

Jets Insider VIP
    Sinks need to be thrown.

All League
    Mixing in zone would be a good idea imo.

All Pro
    Yes exactly that only the opposite.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Sinks need to be thrown.
    Amen to that....

how could this defense play more conservatively? they're already playing zone, don't blitz much and keep the fastest players on the bench.

All Pro
    If we play zone with a 4 man line that would be okay. Coples Ellis Pouha Wilkerson. Then he can bltz one man from different places. It just doesn't work with Dixon, or McIntyre in there.

Yeah let's play more conservatively when our running backs struggle to get 3 ypc and we're going up against the 49ers defense and Patrick Willis.

Did Brian Schottenheimer come back to the Jets or something?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They need to do the opposite and come out Guns Blazing!!! Blitz all day long and punish every QB we face!!!