Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you see that call last night?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, none of us saw what happened last night. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    It's ok, Green Bay stole one from us 2 years ago by ripping the ball out of our WRs hands and getting it called an INT on 2 occasions. I can remember Keller getting one ripped out by Woodson on the ground that was ruled an INT, and that part of the play being unable to review.
    Stole one? Those calls in Jets-Packers happened mid-game and neither involved a scoring play. We still would've needed to score points and make plays to have actually won. This was the final play of the game where calling it either way hands either team the victory. The situations are not even comparable.

The Vinny play against the Seahawks is a better comparison

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Ed Houchili totally screwing the Chargers a few years ago against the Broncos.

There have been worse calls, but the indecision was pitiful. It's a bad situation.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Vinny scoring a TD against Seattle was pretty bad too!
    Agreed that was bad ... but Tate's non touchdown, I understand the rules but to me clearly the db had secured the ball. It was not a simultaneous grab by Tate.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    People are getting way too wrapped up in this. There is a good chance the regular refs make the same call there, especially since a regular ref reviewed it and did not change it. When that play was live it certainly looked like it was a Seattle catch. On review it was questionable, but ESPN was really grinding on the refs all night.

The reality is that Green Bay played poor enough to let that play beat them. It was not just that call that cost GB that game.
    I think the most likely difference is that a regular ref doesn't signal TD when he's clearly not sure. You can see the guy start to half-heartedly raise his hands, he's definitely not sure. You'll see them run in, players signaling TD, No TD, etc., but the officials usually wait to rule - and in this case, I think they would have talked it over.

And the review could not change this call - they could rule it incomplete, if the ball touched the ground, or the player was out of bounds, neither of which happened - that much is clear. I'm sure they were looking as hard as they could to find a reason to fix it, but they had no recourse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I think the most likely difference is that a regular ref doesn't signal TD when he's clearly not sure. You can see the guy start to half-heartedly raise his hands, he's definitely not sure. You'll see them run in, players signaling TD, No TD, etc., but the officials usually wait to rule - and in this case, I think they would have talked it over.

And the review could not change this call - they could rule it incomplete, if the ball touched the ground, or the player was out of bounds, neither of which happened - that much is clear. I'm sure they were looking as hard as they could to find a reason to fix it, but they had no recourse.
    Statement by the NFL said they COULD have overturned the call based upon possession

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post

You're allowed to review simultaneous catch in the endzone, but not the regular field of play, check Peter King's article on cnnsi.com. The head ref remarkably blew this review even with the assistance of replays and slow motion. Not to mention he conferred with neither official who initially made a call on the play prior to the review. One had signaled a touchback, the other a TD. Bunch of clowns running around like chickens with heads cut off

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Miles Austin taking ball from Cro in the end zone and getting credit for a TD.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Packers taking ball from Keller after he was down and getting credit for an INT... TWICE

Everyone is making a huge deal about this botched hail Mary call, but the regular Refs could have easily screwed it up as well. The bigger issue was the bad Roughing the passer and Pass interference calls that lead up to the Hail Mary opportunity.

Everyone is saying how the refs will never call offensive pass interference on a Hail Mary. I find that hard to believe... So your telling me that if Tate was 1 on 1 with the defender and shoved him out of the way from behind and caught the game winner, they wouldn't have called it? Why don't offensive players do this all the time? Can defenders do the same thing on a Hail Mary?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    He had two catches, both long, but hardly destroying us.

Vinny threw for 400+ too.
    They were bombs, one at least for a TD because I remember him giving the "shhhhhhh" sign to us in the end zone.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the only thing that I took away from watching last night game:

I wish our defensive front seven played with as much intensity as the Seattle front seven was playing with last night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Packers taking ball from Keller after he was down and getting credit for an INT... TWICE

Everyone is making a huge deal about this botched hail Mary call, but the regular Refs could have easily screwed it up as well. The bigger issue was the bad Roughing the passer and Pass interference calls that lead up to the Hail Mary opportunity.

Everyone is saying how the refs will never call offensive pass interference on a Hail Mary. I find that hard to believe... So your telling me that if Tate was 1 on 1 with the defender and shoved him out of the way from behind and caught the game winner, they wouldn't have called it? Why don't offensive players do this all the time? Can defenders do the same thing on a Hail Mary?
    I think the unspoken rule is that the refs will allow a little bit of jostling for position on a Hail Mary that would normally be flagged as PI in a 1 on 1 situation. A blatant two hand shove that knocks a player down and out of the play is way beyond that and should be flagged every single time. It is possible if not likely that the inexperienced refs were watching the ball and not the players when the shove happened though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Stole one? Those calls in Jets-Packers happened mid-game and neither involved a scoring play. We still would've needed to score points and make plays to have actually won. This was the final play of the game where calling it either way hands either team the victory. The situations are not even comparable.

The Vinny play against the Seahawks is a better comparison
    I see your point, but you can't say TWO turnovers didn't have a huge outcome on a low scoring, 1 possession game. One of those drives we were at mid-field.....you don't know what the Jets would of done with the ball if the call was made correctly to begin with.

Yeah, the Packers Seahawks play was the last of the game and it cost them the game. But every play is just as important, and whether you score in the 1st qtr or 4th qtr it still equals 7 points to the final score.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post

I wish our defensive front seven played with as much intensity as the Seattle front seven was playing with last night.
    Isn't it possible they just don't have the talent? Irvin may have been picked before Coples for a reason. I don't think we have a d-lineman nearly as good as Clemons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Hey, he came within a yard and a half of the end zone.

Didn't that call cost Seattle a playoff spot that year?
    1998 and yes it cost them the playoffs, they also got screwed in the Super Bowl vs Pittsburgh

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about the holding call against Seattle in the SB, cutler non fumble, tuck rule, Vinny short, etc. Etc. Real refs suck and have an agenda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post

Helps to have young, talented players with SPEED. One day, one day...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I think the call of simultaneous possession was a bad call, it is not nearly as bad as people make out. Twice last year the Jets lost the ball when Dustin Keller appeared to have simultaneous possession. It's a bad rule in that it leaves much to the imagination as to what "simultaneous possession" means. Does it have to be 50/50 equal possession? Is 20/80 enough to be simultaneous?. It is a crappy rule. They should throw it out an go with the player who has more or better possession in the eyes of the official and give it to the Offense if possession is equal.

That said, that call is hardly the worst bad call. The Giants lost a playoff game in 2003 to the 49rs when on the final play of the game after a botched snap and attempt to throw the ball down the field the Giant player about to catch the ball was knocked down by a 49er. Flags flew and everyone thought PI. But no, the officials incorrectly called an inelligible receiver downfield penalty on the Giants. Even the NFL acknowledged they blew the call, and the game for the Giants.

With six seconds remaining, kicker Matt Bryant trotted out on third down to attempt a 40-yard field goal.

Allen was the holder. The snapper was Trey Junkin, a veteran who had played for seven teams but signed with the Giants only four days before the game as an injury replacement. The Giants had been through several long snappers that season, Fassel said, so he had been concerned about the field-goal unit‘s inability to work smoothly.

As it turned out, his fears were warranted. On the final play, Junkin’s snap was off — low and away from its intended spot — and Allen did well to shift his position and keep the ball from bouncing away. There are some who have pointed out that Allen could have taken a knee and called a timeout because it was third down, but the Giants had practiced the situation frequently, Allen said, and he did what had been practiced: he stood up and screamed, “Fire, fire, fire!” — the call for a pass play when a snap went sour.

And that was where the play became tricky. Seubert had reported as an eligible receiver, and as Allen rolled to his right, Seubert ran down near the goal line. He was wide open as Allen’s wobbly pass came his way.

Just as Seubert went to catch the ball, however, defensive end Chike Okeafor pulled him to the ground. The ball fell — along with several yellow flags — and the Giants celebrated, thinking a pass-interference penalty had been called. Okeafor dropped his head to the turf in apparent guilt.

But the referee Ron Winter announced that the only penalty was on the Giants — for having an ineligible receiver downfield, believed to be Tam Hopkins — and so, by rule, the game was over. At first, the Giants were incredulous. Then they were bitter.

“I have no idea how the officials didn’t make that call,” Fassel said. “I still don’t.”

Mike Pereira, then the director of officials for the league and now an analyst for Fox, acknowledged a day after the game that the crew had erred and apologized to the Giants. On Monday, Pereira said of the officials, “They lost track of who was eligible and who was not eligible and thought the receiver who got interfered with was ineligible so you couldn’t have interference.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/sp...ater.html?_r=0

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This play also reminded me of Cro's INT of Romo in the end zone last year when Austin came and tore it away after the fact. In my minds eye, that was equally as bad of a call and could have easily cost us that game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The PI call against Shields was demented. That was offensive PI on Rice if there was a call at all. That game was HANDED to Seattle.

Most of the time I would agree that the team should play well enough to not let that matter, but there were at least 3 calls:

The last TD

Roughing the passer on Wilson

The PI call on Shields

That were all absolutely horrid calls.

Thank God the normal refs are coming back.