Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex needs to switch the D to a 4-3

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex needs to switch the D to a 4-3

3-4 is not working with this slow LB cor, we have good DL. Unleash coples.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why Coples hasn't been playing more, especially on passing downs, is beyond me.

Guys like Dixon have been seeing more game time for f*ck sake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Start Coples.
    Why do we spend 1st round picks on defensive players if we can't start them?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Agree. Start Coples.
    other teams first second and third rounders are tearing it up. here we play old vets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also want to see more Davis as well.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think our base D line should be
    Wilk,Coples,Pouha,Pace
    3rd down D line should be
    Pace,Wilk,Coples,Maybin

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i thought once we started stock piling defensive linemen this was surely going to work. fresh guys in and out creating havoc and a pass rush. rex somehow managed to screw this all up.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMBOJET View Post
    This makes no sense. If our LB core is slow, how can we play a 3-4? Our LBs will have even more space to cover????? 3-4 is designed for bigger slower players, 4-3 for faster smaller players

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    That said, we should start playing Coples as a DE/LB hybrid

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Start Coples.
    so rex has a plan B when guys like dixon suck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    34 on running plays, but now we need to go zone with a 4 man rush on passing downs. I totally agree.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    This makes no sense. If our LB core is slow, how can we play a 3-4? Our LBs will have even more space to cover????? 3-4 is designed for bigger slower players, 4-3 for faster smaller players
    David Harris would be terrible in a 4-3. And Bart Scott is ... well... just terrible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUMBOJET View Post
    You are right. You know more about coaching a NFL defense than Rex Ryan.

He might not be the best HC in the NFL, but the man can coach a defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    What is the difference if you're rushing a stand up LB or a DE? We at least need to 4 man, one gap in the nickle, and/or big nickle. Pace is not getting to the QB so how does that help the slow LBs? He has no burst left.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Start Coples.
    This is flawed logic. You play the person you think gives you the best chance to win...

You can make an argument that Coples gives them the best chance to win or that Rex and Tanny made a bad draft choice - but we shouldn't be starting people simply because of draft position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is flawed logic. You play the person you think gives you the best chance to win...

You can make an argument that Coples gives them the best chance to win or that Rex and Tanny made a bad draft choice - but we shouldn't be starting people simply because of draft position.
    Coples has made an impact when he was in, and so has Ellis. They need to play to get experience so yes you can argue that a player should be played based on draft position. He wouldn't have been picked so high if he didn't have potential. Dixon, and Pace are not getting the job done. Coples needs an opportunity to do it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Coples has made an impact when he was in, and so has Ellis. They need to play to get experience so yes you can argue that a player should be played based on draft position. He wouldn't have been picked so high if he didn't have potential. Dixon, and Pace are not getting the job done. Coples needs an opportunity to do it.
    Not to belabor the point but playing someone simply because of draft position is ridiculous.

Here you state Coples has made an impact and should play - that is a reasonable argument. But then the argument should be on Rex's talent evaluation - not draft status.

btw. I would love to see Coples playing more but have to believe Rex Ryan, the guy that's been around and/or coaching defensive football his entire life as well as sees his players every day has a better handle on who is most likely to help the team win.

For me, I want the Jets to win and I want them to field the team, each and every week, that will give them the best chance to win each and every week.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    I think our base D line should be
    Wilk,Coples,Pouha,Pace
    3rd down D line should be
    Pace,Wilk,Coples,Maybin
    I'd like to see:

Mo, Bo, Ellis, QC
    Pace, Harris, Davis/Maybin

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I continue to fail to understand why so many people on this board think:

Switch to 4-3 = MORE SACKS!!!

You have to have the personnel for it. Coples could become a good pass rusher, but he'll be doing his damage working against guards.

This defense is way too friggin' slow

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You just can't switch between a 3-4 and a 4-3 system. Just becasue you can give a 4-3 look by having a olb put his hand on the ground does not mean a seamless transition by subbing a DE in for that OLB.

Harris is a superior ILB in a 3-4, he is a 2 down run stuffing MLB in a 4-3.
    Likewise with Scott, just not as good as Harris. Pace is only a OLB in a 3-4 or a small DE in a 4-3, but he does not seem to hold up on plays run at him when he has his hand in the dirt.

Davis is a 4-3 backer, but he came from a div 2 school, to ask him to play at a high level as a rookie is a stretch.

Next off season Rex will get a coverage LB to play the SLB in a 4-3.