Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rex needs to switch the D to a 4-3

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Coples is out of position. If you watched the preseason you would know that Coples got the most pressure when he was playing inside as a DT.

Coples is not a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. He is a 4-3 DT.

At UNC he had his best year at DT in the 4-3. And had he come out that year he was potentially a top 5 pick because of it.

It was his SR. season that they moved him to DE in the 4-3 and his stock dropped big time.

As others have already pointed out: You don't want to play a 4-3 if you have slow linebackers. They're only 3 of them, so they need to be able to play sideline to sideline. Davis is the only sideline to sideline linebacker on the team. Maybin is fast, but struggles in space.

I don't think we can pull of 4-3 base. But should definitely see a high volume of snaps in 4-2-5 and 4-1-6 "big" nickel and dime packages. We have the safeties to stop the run, and if you play cover-3 with all of Landry, Bell, and Smith/Bush on the field at the same time, you can get away with them in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    As others have already pointed out: You don't want to play a 4-3 if you have slow linebackers. They're only 3 of them, so they need to be able to play sideline to sideline. Davis is the only sideline to sideline linebacker on the team. Maybin is fast, but struggles in space.
    That's actually not true - as has been pointed out - unless you're really only blitzing 3. Most of the time in a 3-4 you're blitzing one of the LB's so the other LB's still have to cover the same ground...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    That's actually not true - as has been pointed out - unless you're really only blitzing 3. Most of the time in a 3-4 you're blitzing one of the LB's so the other LB's still have to cover the same ground...
    Your two outside linebackers are closer to the sidelines, your two inside linebackers are close to the sideline than the MLB is in a 4-3.

All of the LBs in a 4-3 are inside the 4 down linemen.

There is a reason why 4-3 linebackers are smaller and faster than their 3-4 counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Agree. Start Coples.
    Why do we spend 1st round picks on defensive players if we can't start them?
    Because he sucks. He gets blocked everytime out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Your two outside linebackers are closer to the sidelines, your two inside linebackers are close to the sideline than the MLB is in a 4-3.

All of the LBs in a 4-3 are inside the 4 down linemen.

There is a reason why 4-3 linebackers are smaller and faster than their 3-4 counterparts.
    First off pace, thomas are not lb's, they converted de's. This is why they are too slow to cover. Harris and scott are true lb's, but they also can't cover. It doesn't matter if it's a 3-4 or a 4-3 they are all too slow to be starting anywhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

We've been in a 4-3 front probably 50% of the defensive snaps so far this season, probably more, go back and look

All League
    I don't care what base package they use, they need to get more creative with down and distance packages.

There is no reason Coples shouldn't be in on third downs. As much as I hate Eric Smith, I'd much rather see him in on 3rd and mediums than Bart Scott. I think he could at least serve a role as a Hybrid in those situations to at least still be able to defend a run, and add a coverage upgrade over Scott.

We have guys who may fall short as complete players, but we also ask certain guys to do more than they are capable of. Pace is on the field too much, so is Scott. Find roles for guys to fill in the gaps.

Our Linebackers are too slow to play in a 4-3.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I don't care what base package they use, they need to get more creative with down and distance packages.

There is no reason Coples shouldn't be in on third downs. As much as I hate Eric Smith, I'd much rather see him in on 3rd and mediums than Bart Scott. I think he could at least serve a role as a Hybrid in those situations to at least still be able to defend a run, and add a coverage upgrade over Scott.

We have guys who may fall short as complete players, but we also ask certain guys to do more than they are capable of. Pace is on the field too much, so is Scott. Find roles for guys to fill in the gaps.
    How on God's Green Earth does anyone think Eric Smith should play LB? He's too damn small. Even on 3rd down it's asinine. The first time the opponent runs a draw play Smith will get tossed around by a Offensive Lineman or Tight End like a rag doll.