Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets have signed RB Jonathan Grimes off the Texans practice squad.

Start Grimes!

It's amazing how quickly an athlete goes from unwanted to desired in the NFL.

Running back Jonathan Grimes, the former Paul VI and William & Mary standout, experienced this quick transition after the recent NFL draft.

Grimes enjoyed a spectacular career at William & Mary, becoming the program's all-time leader in rushing yards (4,541), all-purpose yards (7,955), kickoff-return yards (2,289), and rushing attempts (936).

Yet possibly because he excelled only in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA), Grimes was not selected in the NFL draft.

Afterward?

"It was crazy," Grimes said.

Poor Grimes had only one phone, with plenty of people attempting to talk to him. He was alternating between NFL teams and his agent, Dominick Pilli of Sports Management Group Worldwide Inc. in Fairfax, Va.

"There must have been 10-11 teams calling right after the draft," Grimes said by phone. "But it all worked out."

It took about 25 minutes, but his immediate future was determined when Grimes agreed to a free-agent contract with the Houston Texans, a team not exactly short on quality running backs. Leading the way is Arian Foster, fifth in the NFL last season with 1,224 rushing yards. Ben Tate, who rushed for 942 yards (5.4 average), could start on many teams.

"The thing about free agency is that you can pick your team, and I thought I would do well in Houston," Grimes said. "With Arian Foster and Ben Tate, I felt I could compete for the No. 3 spot, and they are a team that runs the ball well, has a great offensive line, and I thought it would be a nice fit."

So apparently did the Texans.

"First of all, Jonathan is a very smart guy and he does a great job with extra effort every play," Texans running backs coach Chick Harris said by e-mail. "He can play the running back position, and he'll also probably be a person that can compete for a job on special teams."

Versatility is the key.

"Those are the types of guys you want - guys that are smart, guys that are quick to learn, and also being able to be a special-teamer," Harris said.

"Those things give him a better chance to make our team."

Grimes earned a degree in 31/2 years at William & Mary. He was a music major, and specializes in the piano. He also has written a number of songs.

He made the most of his football scholarship and certainly has something to lean back on, but right now, all he wants is to play in the NFL, even if he has to take a more difficult route.

"He should have been drafted," said Pilli, his agent.

Instead of being angry, Grimes will use the draft snub as motivation.

"I think it is always good for every player to have a chip on the shoulder regardless if there was a lot of notoriety," Grimes said.

He says he's grateful for having a chance, and if he sticks with the Texans, there likely will be a number of Houston fans from South Jersey.

"He's even a better person than a football player, and that is saying something," said John Doherty, his coach at Paul VI. "There are so many people who are thrilled for him."

No one is more thrilled than Grimes.

"Every kid grows up dreaming of playing in the NFL, and I have the opportunity and it feels great," Grimes said.

For Grimes, the disappointment of draft day is already gone. In his mind, it's time to go out and earn an NFL spot.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-0...raft-nfl-teams

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    So you essentially want an immediate starter out of the 4th round? Ok... I'll take my chances on someone reaching a high level (especially at a position that is now a possible weakness) over being a so-so player at another position.
    that would be nice for a change around here. but basically just looking for some type of contribution to help the team.

i dont like the fact that westhoff has a say on who stays and who goes based on special teams. trufant eric smith and bellore are perfect examples of this.

i hope this grimes kid works out.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    So you essentially want an immediate starter out of the 4th round? Ok... I'll take my chances on someone reaching a high level (especially at a position that is now a possible weakness) over being a so-so player at another position.
    Agreed. If McKnight isn't getting carries anyway, why not give him a shot at corner.

let him practice there and see if he can do the job, if he can - and only the coaches will know that from practice - why not make the move?

Where's the downside here? He gets beat in a game, like our 7mm corner Cromartie does all the time?

All League
    I bet the Jets were waiting for the Rams to make a move with one of their RB's, but couldn't wait any longer. Jackson, Pead, Richardson & Ganaway are all on the the Rams roster.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Rexipus Rex;4614693]Texans coaches reportedly "love" undrafted rookie RB Jonathan Grimes.
    They reportedly like his downhill running style. Grimes would probably need Houston to keep four tailbacks to make the final 53, but he looks like a prime practice squad candidate. A four-time all-conference pick in the Colonial Athletic Association, Grimes ran 4.47 at 5'10/210 at his Pro Day this spring.

Wow - this sounds like a faster version of the 'prime' Shaun Greene we used to know.

The 'negatives' listed are more about him being one-dimensional. But if that dimension includes running hard right up the gut, and doing it quickly - sign me up. He'd make a nice change of pace back if Powell now becomes our primary.

Wonder if Grimes suits up for S.F. . . .

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by will7046 View Post
    Hmm, wonder if he's related to Frank Grimes

RIP Grimey
    Frank Grimes, or "Grimey," as he liked to be called, taught us that a man can triumph over adversity. And even though Frank's agonizing struggle through life was tragically cut short, I'm sure he's looking down on this right now...

How come teams can just sign guys off anothers prac squad, any link that explains how this works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    that would be nice for a change around here. but basically just looking for some type of contribution to help the team.

i dont like the fact that westhoff has a say on who stays and who goes based on special teams. trufant eric smith and bellore are perfect examples of this.

i hope this grimes kid works out.
    So you don't want your S/T coach to have a say who he wants?

Great...let's just put 11 guys out there to try and tackle KR and PR...

You obviously don't place an importance on S/T...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dainfamusgc View Post
    How come teams can just sign guys off anothers prac squad, any link that explains how this works?

Because there is a catch. I believe you must sign them to your 53 man roster if you pluck them off another team's practice squad.

There might be more to it. I am sure there are people here with knowledge of how it works.

Any team can sign any practice squad player. However, the player must be placed on the teams 53 man roster in essence for at least 3 weeks

Also--If a team signs a player from the practice squad of its next opponent, the move must be made at least six days before the game; players signed from a practice squad also must count against the 53-man roster for three weeks (these rules are in place to prevent teams from signing practice squad players for a week just to get information on their next opponent; it's still possible, but these rules discourage the practice)

Reason being the weeks game plan is completed and passed out to players at Wednesday practice.

More info

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/8...es-eligibility
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Because there is a catch. I believe you must sign them to your 53 man roster if you pluck them off another team's practice squad.

There might be more to it. I am sure there are people here with knowledge of how it works.
    He has to be put on the 53 man roster for 3 weeks.

Any team can sign any other team's practice squad player to their full roster. That's how the system is designed. PS players aren't on the full 53 and only get a small portion of the minimum NFL salary (maybe 70 K per year).

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Jonathan Grimes

Negatives: Lacks the speed and agility to turn the corner. Not a fluid cutback runner and loses momentum when he must immediately change direction.
    Perfect for the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Any team can sign any other team's practice squad player to their full roster. That's how the system is designed. PS players aren't on the full 53 and only get a small portion of the minimum NFL salary (maybe 70 K per year).
    They make about $5,300 per week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Yes. A player signed off another team's PS has to be put on active roster. If he is cut thereafter, then he goes through the whole waiver process before the new team can put him on their PS.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    They're tired of Greene "running to contact" instead of "running to daylight"
    NICE!!

So true!! i havent once seen him make a cut......but i hope he gets one..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    So you don't want your S/T coach to have a say who he wants?

Great...let's just put 11 guys out there to try and tackle KR and PR...

You obviously don't place an importance on S/T...
    utilize players who contribute elsewhere. other teams in the league are deep at the cb position and so are we supposedly? unless of course all those cbs are specifically special teams players?

why is eric smith still on this team?

we are taking this thread off topic and im sorry.

Ic thx guys. Min 3 games on 53 man roster makes sense. Then they could just sign this guy for info n cut next week

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    this

Solid receiver out of the backfield.