Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty obvious reasons why K. Ellis and Coples haven't played much

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Many here have been watching this team as long as you.

Some choose to view each victory as a little miracle unto itself..cherish it like a little puppy, whilst pumping their chests and growling at the world in triumph! Thats fine.

Some view all games as a "perfomance" indicative of future performances....they evaluate overall play and speculate on effectiveness...they debate with like minded fans...

If the Jets knock off even the Niners....it will change my view that this is a ineptly run team full of dudes that havent bought in to what Rex is selling.

If not...I'll still respect your right to crow over individual victories without a nod to the big picture.

I would hope you are capable of the same.

-
    Exactly .. Well stated

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Many here have been watching this team as long as you.

Some choose to view each victory as a little miracle unto itself..cherish it like a little puppy, whilst pumping their chests and growling at the world in triumph! Thats fine.

Some view all games as a "perfomance" indicative of future performances....they evaluate overall play and speculate on effectiveness...they debate with like minded fans...

If the Jets knock off even the Niners....it will change my view that this is a ineptly run team full of dudes that havent bought in to what Rex is selling.

If not...I'll still respect your right to crow over individual victories without a nod to the big picture.

I would hope you are capable of the same.

-
    The game this week may tell us a good deal. Get either of the next two and you have to feel a little better about the idea of a wind card.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the obsessed stalking continues, unabated AND UNREAD

This message is hidden because EM31 is on your ignore list.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every game is different. They might have had trouble stopping the run 2 outta 3 games so far but, they might stifle the run for the rest of the season.

And 2-1 on top the AFC East

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    2-1 and first place is obviously not good enough for our resident SOJFs

will 4-1 after beating the Niners and Texans be enough to make them shut up and go away?

GO JETS
    Not go away.... I personally will never Go Away from the JETS. I anticipate a JETS hat in my grave with me. That said..4-1 will shut my negativity up, no question.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    Every game is different. They might have had trouble stopping the run 2 outta 3 games so far but, they might stifle the run for the rest of the season.

And 2-1 on top the AFC East
    in a weird way, revis being out could help the run d since teams may be inclined to throw more. if the jets could get a pass rush (hi, quinten), then maybe it would balance out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strangely enough the historical Jets would beat the Niners and/or the Texans and then lose a gimme game in one or more of the following weeks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the Seahawks d-line rush the passer made me wonder what is wrong with the Jets. Supposedly we've drafted these great athletes for the d-line -- Wilkerson, Coples, and Ellis, but when the QB goes back to pass every rusher seems to be easily erased, and Coples and Ellis are rarely on the field. Not sure if its coaching or scouting, but the Jets are certainly underachieving in the front 7 when it comes to rushing the passer. This is the primary reason the D can not get off the field on third down.

It occurs to me that since our best pass rusher - supposedly Coples - is a D lineman he'd be better functioning as a DE in 4 man front. I think the Jets need to turn the page and convert to a base 46 D with Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and Wilkerson on the line, Harris, Pace and McIntyre at LB and Landry in the Box. It would stop the run better and clearly place more consistent and better pressure on the QB, which is of paramount importance now with Revis out. The Jets D is simply not elite (especially so without Revis) so they would better be served by switching to a more aggressive attacking style of Defense. A base 46 puts the best athletes on the field, takes full advantage of the skills of their best player - Landry - by putting him in the role of Doug Plank, and fits the personnel well enough to create depth. BT and Coples could platoon at DE with BT playing the role of run stopper and Coples pass rusher. Bart Scott, McIntyre, and Maybin can be rotated at an OLB spot depending upon the situation and the "hot hand". Pouha, Ellis and Devito would be an excellent DT rotation.

This just makes too much sense not to do. The elite physical talent on the Jets is the D-lineman drafted in the past 2 seasons - Coples, Wilkeson, and Ellis - plus Landry at S. The Jets need a D that maximizes their play time and creates favorable match-ups. The 46 is that D. A base 3-4 makes sense when you have beasts at OLB like the Steelers and Packers. The Jets do not have such a player and need to adopt the D to their talent.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Watching the Seahawks d-line rush the passer made me wonder what is wrong with the Jets. Supposedly we've drafted these great athletes for the d-line -- Wilkerson, Coples, and Ellis, but when the QB goes back to pass every rusher seems to be easily erased, and Coples and Ellis are rarely on the field. Not sure if its coaching or scouting, but the Jets are certainly underachieving in the front 7 when it comes to rushing the passer. This is the primary reason the D can not get off the field on third down.

It occurs to me that since our best pass rusher - supposedly Coples - is a D lineman he'd be better functioning as a DE in 4 man front. I think the Jets need to turn the page and convert to a base 46 D with Coples, Ellis, Pouha, and Wilkerson on the line, Harris, Pace and McIntyre at LB and Landry in the Box. It would stop the run better and clearly place more consistent and better pressure on the QB, which is of paramount importance now with Revis out. The Jets D is simply not elite (especially so without Revis) so they would better be served by switching to a more aggressive attacking style of Defense. A base 46 puts the best athletes on the field, takes full advantage of the skills of their best player - Landry - by putting him in the role of Doug Plank, and fits the personnel well enough to create depth. BT and Coples could platoon at DE with BT playing the role of run stopper and Coples pass rusher. Bart Scott, McIntyre, and Maybin can be rotated at an OLB spot depending upon the situation and the "hot hand". Pouha, Ellis and Devito would be an excellent DT rotation.

This just makes too much sense not to do. The elite physical talent on the Jets is the D-lineman drafted in the past 2 seasons - Coples, Wilkeson, and Ellis - plus Landry at S. The Jets need a D that maximizes their play time and creates favorable match-ups. The 46 is that D. A base 3-4 makes sense when you have beasts at OLB like the Steelers and Packers. The Jets do not have such a player and need to adopt the D to their talent.
    this makes way too much sense. rex is far to stubborn with his defense to make such a radical change.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not go away.... I personally will never Go Away from the JETS. I anticipate a JETS hat in my grave with me. That said..4-1 will shut my negativity up, no question.
    And what if they play a good game but still get beat?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And what if they play a good game but still get beat?
    What if they play crappy and win?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SONNY, great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Leon View Post
    this makes way too much sense. rex is far to stubborn with his defense to make such a radical change.
    And it will cost him his job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    2-1 and first place is obviously not good enough for our resident SOJFs

will 4-1 after beating the Niners and Texans be enough to make them shut up and go away?

GO JETS
    The fairy tale cheerleaders of which you are a charter member did not shut up and go away last year after the team fell on it's face thus I see no way that the nay sayers will shut up and go away.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy WE GAVE REX THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT... BUT NOW..?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I am absolutely positively sick of Rex bragging about this and that regarding his ****ing defense and his defensive skills and prowess and his old defenses...

HEY REX

This here is your ****ing defense, fix it now and fix it fast.

This guy is turning into a huge clown.
    ....I was apprehensive when they chose Rex to be our new coach... now my worst fears are coming true..... he looked like a genius coordinator when he had All-Pros like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis going for him..... and when he had Kris Jenkins at Nose Tackle to take on 2 lineman at once...... but now his vaunted defense is bending and bending and nearly breaking.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably shouldn't have drafted Coples.

Has a DE's body but, rushes best at DT???
    Probably shouldv'e taken someone with more of a OLB build, athletic, can pass rush at DE or OLB.

Mohammed Wilkerson is also a DT. He ain't athletic enough to rush the QB from the edge.

So our best pass rushers are Defensive Tackles, and Coples is undersized. I damn sure don't have an answer/suggestion to the pass rush issues.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    It was pretty obvious from his presser that Rex is almost in shock at the teams problems stopping the run. He said he's never had to deal with a situation like this before.
    I am surprised Rex hasn't tried having Damon Harrison active for a game and see how he does against the run.....Kind of wondering what he is waiting for, this guy was a beast in the pre-season constantly pushing the pocket.......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we bust it out against a weak passing team like the 49ers. If we can erase the run and make them one-dimensional, I like what the defense can do.

The only thing I don't really see is Coples being effective as a DE. Guy needs to be playing the 3T position using his quickness against guards, and as far as I know the 46 doesn't have anyone lined up on the outside edge of the guard. I don't know if he has the speed to be rushing wide against left tackles. JMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    For 43 years?

The entire football country thinks of the JETS as basically a passing by football team on their schedule. Like the Cardinals and Seahawks SB teams. Was lucky and good for them but NO ONE outside Jet world thinks we are a threat.
    And the Jets haven't sucked for 43 years. Nice over-exaggeration

And you know that every team thinks this way, huh? Guess the Niner's thought that of the Vikings last week. Guess its not too smart to think that way.

You guys say you think big picture, but I don't think you do. This team had a run at the Super Bowl and missed by one game two years in a row. It is now saddled with some high contracts that over the next two years will be gone. Last year, this year, and next year are a work in progress. Rex may/may not be around to see the fruits of it, but that is what it is.

OF COURSE they are going to try and win, but the team took a shot, missed, and now have to reboot. We did well drafting the last two years, and will continue to do so. But when you hit a home-run with a solid core of players for consecutive drafts, you eventually have to pay them. It cost the Jets A LOT of cap space signing Harris, Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, and keeping Cromartie and Holmes. I think we overpaid for Harris and Holmes.
    Sanchez was a product of drafting a QB just prior to having a rookie salary cap. He blew the Cap to hell with his contract, but that was the way it was. I don't think the issue with him would have been so complex had he of been on, say, Andrew Luck's contract.

There are only so many Tom Brady's and Joe Montana's that get drafted and carry their team for a decade (twice in over thirty years in fact). I would say the Jets and the Patriots, talent wise are ALMOST equal except for a few players....Unfortunately, the one major difference is a first ballot hall-of-fame QB who will go down in the record books as one of the best all-time for a 6th round pick.

So....I get everyone wants to win. But you are setting yourself up for heartbreak if you thought it would be this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if they play crappy and win?
    We'll be 3-1 and still in first....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    SONNY, great post.

And it will cost him his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I am surprised Rex hasn't tried having Damon Harrison active for a game and see how he does against the run.....Kind of wondering what he is waiting for, this guy was a beast in the pre-season constantly pushing the pocket.......

rex's loyalty to his veterams, who are clearly past their prime and hurting the team, will be his undoing