Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Jets Tweets & Info 9/26

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I think that is an extremely fair statement.

In general I dont say we suck anywhere..I think we are average in almost all areas, below in some, above in others.

But heck..average is 8-8. There is a formula for success, it is used by the packers, Steelers, Giants, Pats to name a few. The Packers had the balls to remove Favre. We didnt even have the balls to remove Pennington with the Favre move. Penny was great, loved him BUT he was part of the mediocrity.

Like a restaurant in a town opened by a great chef. 4 out of 5 fail in the 1st 2 years. You almost never see a TGIF, Ruths Chris etc..close. Why? They follow a proven formula.
    I don't understand that...The Jets did "remove" Pennington once they traded for Favre

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I don't understand that...The Jets did "remove" Pennington once they traded for Favre
    Typo..my bad. Many JETS fans and analysts have stated that if we dont bring in Favre... Penny would have stayed. Point being. Pennington, in 2006 showed he was average yet we dont draft, we go after Favre, trade away a pick. There was little to NO chance he would stay beyond a year. NOT the kind of move well run teams make.

Typo..my bad. Many JETS fans and analysts have stated that if we dont bring in Favre... Penny would have stayed. Point being. Pennington, in 2006 showed he was average yet we dont draft, we go after Favre, trade away a pick. There was little to NO chance he would stay beyond a year. NOT the kind of move well run teams make.
    I disagree with this. The Favre era worked until he got hurt and started his "chuck and duck" routine. I think everyone had high hopes for that season, we were 8-3 and beat the Pats on the road and dismantled an undefeated Titans team in successive weeks. That was fun... until the wheels came off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I disagree with this. The Favre era worked until he got hurt and started his "chuck and duck" routine. I think everyone had high hopes for that season, we were 8-3 and beat the Pats on the road and dismantled an undefeated Titans team in successive weeks. That was fun... until the wheels came off.
    Your on the other side..I liked Favre as did you. Short term, lots of fun and excitement. I went to the Tennessee game when Tenn was 10-0.

My point was that management was not willing to part with Penny. They seem very OK with mediocrity. The record under Woody supports this. basically a slightly above 500 team with a bunch of playoff losses. Also, Favre wanted OUT. He , I understand , had issues with the team as well. he never liked it here. We should have known that.

2006 2nd round pick QB Clemens...At the time he was viewed as Pennington's replacement...

We all know the rest of the story

Its not...1/2 the league is 5th round and after. Solid players, back up, special teams etc.

Teams that do a GREAT job in that area have great depth.
    Ravens:

B. Mckinnie- 1
    Bobbie Williams- 2
    M. Birk- 1
    M. Yanda- 3
    M. Oher- 1 (fans here would view him as a bust, he was supposed to be an elite LT. I don't think he's a bust but I am just saying that that would be the spin here)

Boldin- 2
    Smith- 2
    Pitta- 4

Rice-2
    Leach- UDFA

Flacco-1

We need to stop pretending that teams find a ton of play makers that are UDFA on a consistent basis. The Ravens D might be even more strayed in that regard but I just didn't feel like pulling that up. Two of their starters are below Rd. 3 on offense. Their only UDFA starting is a FB who was developed on other teams. I think this team needs to refocus where they are investing the picks and if anything needs to start picking better at the top end of the draft as far as offense is concerned. We need young blue chip offensive lineman and maybe bring in some quality FA on the OL. Ducasse and Wilson are going to be the crux of whether this team needs to do some serious overhaul in the next offseason or if things will look bright. This season will tell us a lot about both.

Its not...1/2 the league is 5th round and after. Solid players, back up, special teams etc.

Teams that do a GREAT job in that area have great depth.
    Where is this info?

And I would be interested in breaking the numbers down by round and UDFA

All Pro

Like a restaurant in a town opened by a great chef. 4 out of 5 fail in the 1st 2 years. You almost never see a TGIF, Ruths Chris etc..close. Why? They follow a proven formula.
    That is not a good example sorry to say.

And I DO know...Hospitality has been my field for 25 years.

We get it...you don't like the Jets FO....

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Ravens:

B. Mckinnie- 1
    Bobbie Williams- 2
    M. Birk- 1
    M. Yanda- 3
    M. Oher- 1 (fans here would view him as a bust, he was supposed to be an elite LT. I don't think he's a bust but I am just saying that that would be the spin here)

Boldin- 2
    Smith- 2
    Pitta- 4

Rice-2
    Leach- UDFA

Flacco-1

We need to stop pretending that teams find a ton of play makers that are UDFA on a consistent basis. The Ravens D might be even more strayed in that regard but I just didn't feel like pulling that up. Two of their starters are below Rd. 3 on offense. Their only UDFA starting is a FB who was developed on other teams. I think this team needs to refocus where they are investing the picks and if anything needs to start picking better at the top end of the draft as far as offense is concerned. We need young blue chip offensive lineman and maybe bring in some quality FA on the OL. Ducasse and Wilson are going to be the crux of whether this team needs to do some serious overhaul in the next offseason or if things will look bright. This season will tell us a lot about both.
    Birk - 6th round of MN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Birk

OK..But how does Balt's playmakers differ from the Jets

WR/TE - Jets 2 #1s and a #2
    RB-3rd
    FB-5th

OL-2 #1s, #6, 2 UDFA..1 #1 (JSmith) 1st off the bench...and maybe starting RT in a few weeks

Your on the other side..I liked Favre as did you. Short term, lots of fun and excitement. I went to the Tennessee game when Tenn was 10-0.

My point was that management was not willing to part with Penny. They seem very OK with mediocrity. The record under Woody supports this. basically a slightly above 500 team with a bunch of playoff losses. Also, Favre wanted OUT. He , I understand , had issues with the team as well. he never liked it here. We should have known that.
    Good call. Can't argue Woody's true intentions but I do think he wants to win. I feel like the guys he put in place work as hard as anybody in the business. I fear that they just don't have the talent to build a football team.

Think about this, Tanny works tirelessly "turning every stone" as they say. Well, maybe he wouldn't work so hard if he made the right decisions to begin with? Work smarter, not harder. His moves are often head scratchers. I mean, does anyone really feel that bad about our CB depth? We had the best depth in the league IMO. Revis goes down, we still have two first round draft picks. People are scared about Kyle Wilson... well I'm sure every team considers their #2 CB in the same light. We are spoiled as Jets fans because we watch Revis do the unnatural. Reality is that CBs can't do what Revis can do. They are going to get beat for big pass plays. It's the nature of the game. You just can't leave them one on one the entire game. Give the guy help. Play a more honest defense in that sense and the problem isn't as big as everyone is making it out... so much so that we are taking what should be our starting RB and turning him into a fkn CB. That's just stupid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Good call. Can't argue Woody's true intentions but I do think he wants to win. I feel like the guys he put in place work as hard as anybody in the business. I fear that they just don't have the talent to build a football team.

Think about this, Tanny works tirelessly "turning every stone" as they say. Well, maybe he wouldn't work so hard if he made the right decisions to begin with? Work smarter, not harder. His moves are often head scratchers. I mean, does anyone really feel that bad about our CB depth? We had the best depth in the league IMO. Revis goes down, we still have two first round draft picks. People are scared about Kyle Wilson... well I'm sure every team considers their #2 CB in the same light. We are spoiled as Jets fans because we watch Revis do the unnatural. Reality is that CBs can't do what Revis can do. They are going to get beat for big pass plays. It's the nature of the game. You just can't leave them one on one the entire game. Give the guy help. Play a more honest defense in that sense and the problem isn't as big as everyone is making it out... so much so that we are taking what should be our starting RB and turning him into a fkn CB. That's just stupid.
    Working as hard as you can and tirelessly are no reason to give someone a job. You or I could work 18 hrs a day and be $hitty GM. I dont have the answers and as I learn from other posters..perhaps I am unrealistic.

Other teams are NOT that much better than the JETS in the draft..some are marginally better.

But if thats true....we need to work hard to be marginally better and the head scratching picks dont help and better picks in the 6th round and after matter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    That is not a good example sorry to say.

And I DO know...Hospitality has been my field for 25 years.

We get it...you don't like the Jets FO....
    They are average, as is our record last 6 years under them.

I like vanilla..... I just dont tell everyone its as good as any flavor available.

When I see my buddy with a hot fudge Sunday, in the same stadium and our major foe with 3 Sundaes, I question why we have a simple ice cream cone.

I know...bad analogy. You know the hospitality business.

OT..ever read Michael Gerbers E-Myth. Great Book.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Birk - 6th round of MN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Birk

OK..But how does Balt's playmakers differ from the Jets

WR/TE - Jets 2 #1s and a #2
    RB-3rd
    FB-5th

OL-2 #1s, #6, 2 UDFA..1 #1 (JSmith) 1st off the bench...and maybe starting RT in a few weeks
    My bad with Birk. I didn't actually verify that, had it firmly in my memory as him being a #1. Apologies. I was actually supporting your claim that this team is not poorly built and that we shouldn't be expecting anything consistent from the real late round picks. As for how ours is different? It definitely goes somewhat into your theory about scouting/development and also the fact that the OL holds the brunt of the quality. Birk WAS a 6th rounder, when the Ravens brought him he was proven to be a very good center. It's like if someone plucked Moore from us a 3 years back. He's not a UDFA swing and miss chance, he's a proven player. We got a diamond in the rough, someone bringing him in doesn't take the risk of the rough. I am not sure if I am saying this eloquently so apologies if it's confusing as hell.
    Last edited by TheMo; 09-27-2012 at 03:17 PM.