Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: REFS ARE BACK! Hope to be working this Sunday!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    should be easy to have them ready tomorrow

they are normally out of shape and unprepared every Sunday so they should be able to reach the Ron Winter/Ed Hochilli/Walt Coleman/Jeff Triplette normal standard of incompetence in plenty of time for tomorrow and be ready to start blowing calls
    Strange. Even the people who are normally down on the referees are pretty much in universal agreement that the current lot are far worse. I guess you must just know more than everybody else on the planet. Why does this not surprise me?

Yes the regular refs make some bad calls.

That does not mean that the current guys are no worse because they are. They are FAR WORSE.

Please... try... to... follow... the... bouncing... ball....

Hall Of Fame
    just what we need

another troll
    You are simply not capable of suppressing your urge to behave like a policeman in here are you? Please try to stop doing that. I do not want the universe of JI posters to consist solely of the people whose ideas or sense of humor meet with your approval.

Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Strange. Even the people who are normally down on the referees are pretty much in universal agreement that the current lot are far worse. I guess you must just know more than everybody else on the planet. Why does this not surprise me?

Yes the regular refs make some bad calls.

That does not mean that the current guys are no worse because they are. They are FAR WORSE.

Please... try... to... follow... the... bouncing... ball....
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You are simply not capable of suppressing your urge to behave like a policeman in here are you? Please try to stop doing that. I do not want the universe of JI posters to consist solely of the people whose ideas or sense of humor meet with your approval.

Have a nice day
    Not sure if he saw that, you're probably on his ignore list.

Jets Insider VIP
    just what we need

another troll
    There's some truth to what he said.

With Revis out, we could use a little "leeway" on the PI calls.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I cannot believe the bellyaching going on in this thread. I don't see how anyone can argue that the use of replacement officials hasn't had a negative impact on the game. I also can't believe that people seriously believe that the Pats receive preferential treatment from the league. I kid Pats fans about that, but I don't actually believe that it's true.

The regular refs make their share of mistakes as well, but they're far better at calling games than the replacements are. No more 10 yard defensive holding and 27 yard personal foul penalties. You may not like the rules, but they'll go back to being enforced properly.

Dan Lebatard made a very good point about this whole thing. People complain about referees and officials having big egos, but you need to have an ego in order to be a good ref. That's the only way you can keep the flag in your pocket when the superstar is begging for it, or make an unpopular call in front of 70,000 screaming fans, or not be bullied by a coach (Can anyone imagine Belichick putting his hands on Hochuli?).

It wouldn't have been as big a deal if they could have gotten refs from the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12, etc., but those guys already have jobs. You'll notice that the guy that called touchback on Monday was a former Big 12 ref, the guy that called touchdown is a junior college ref.
    Well said. The idea that the regular refs favor the Pats or Packers or whoever else was suggested on this thread is humorous at best. If anything, the regular refs won't be bullied by the star players and coaches, they have a backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    I am sure Krafty, who suddenly did not have 20 calls for cheaters per game, is begging other owners to have this deal done.
    I hear he wants the call on Gostkowski's kick against Arizona reversed, due to the fact that it was replacement refs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Not sure if he saw that, you're probably on his hypothetical "ignore list."
    Fixed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just heard that Ed Hochuli has challenged Roger Goodell to arm wrestle to decide the remaining issue.

Hall Of Fame
    When Cro gets called for 2 DPIs on third down this week and Howard gets called for punching people in the face we will be longing for the scabs.

All League
    Great!
    Pats and Packers 13-0 the rest of the way, awesome!

ok ppl, remember what you're asking for when Ron Winter makes a doz calls against us, at least as bad as the replacements if not worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    ok ppl, remember what you're asking for when Ron Winter makes a doz calls against us, at least as bad as the replacements if not worse.
    I try to put myself in the shoes of Packer fans.

Once I do that, I realize that even Ron Winter couldn't cause as much damage as that one horrific call did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Well said. The idea that the regular refs favor the Pats or Packers or whoever else was suggested on this thread is humorous at best. If anything, the regular refs won't be bullied by the star players and coaches, they have a backbone.
    You don't think Brady and Peyton can complain about getting hit, then get a delayed flag? Can't count how many times I've seen it happen over the years. The refs absolutely give favorable calls to the star players

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I try to put myself in the shoes of Packer fans.

Once I do that, I realize that even Ron Winter couldn't cause as much damage as that one horrific call did.
    Ask the chargers about Ed hochuli. In my opinion, that play was worse.

All Pro
    OK so what happens if the real refs blow a game on a terrible call, as they've done many times before?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    OK so what happens if the real refs blow a game on a terrible call, as they've done many times before?
    Nothing......the announcers and.media jackasses who have been acting as PR flacks for the NFLRA will give them a pass.

There is only one long term solution....fire all the aged out of shape part time insurance salesmen and lawyers and hire and train full time professionals

Like every other pro sport does

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Nothing......the announcers and.media jackasses who have been acting as PR flacks for the NFLRA will give them a pass.

There is only one long term solution....fire all the aged out of shape part time insurance salesmen and lawyers and hire and train full time professionals

Like every other pro sport does

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    It's TT, imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    It was obvious watching the constant bellyaching by some HCs that it gave them some calls. That can happen with poor officials.

Wasn't there a ridiculous spot in the Jets/Steelers game that Ryan had to waste a challenge on? The spot was a miss of over a yard by the ref.

I never thought that I'd say this, but I can't wait to see and hear Ed Hochuli again. We didn't know how good we had it with him and the others.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    Ask the chargers about Ed hochuli. In my opinion, that play was worse.
    So Ed Hochuli makes one blatant bad call in 21 years that you feel was worse than what the replacement ref did Monday night.

Okay.

What is your point?

Let's not forget. Hochuli apologized and showed true remorse for what he did.

Apparently, the replacement ref still thinks he was right when 99% of the world disagrees with him.

@BobGlauber: Source familiar with negotiations between NFL & locked out officials: "Very close. I mean, really close." Trying to get deal done tonight.