Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revis done with Jets...? This does not sound good

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    do we really believe Revis will step foot on the field next season without a contract guarantee ?
    maybe, maybe not. but it wouldn't be in his best interest to hold out.

there's a clause in his contract that triggers a 4 year "extension" if he holds out of any mandatory practices. of course Revis can sit out with our without the extension, but why give the Jets any more leverage than they will already have given the injury situation?

the best play for Revis is to do everything possible to prove that he is healthy entering next season and to negotiate with the Jets in good faith, by showing up. this will keep his FA eligibility for the 2014 offseason if he doesn't get a long-term deal done with the Jets or is traded to a team he doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    don't tell that to the folks up I-95
    If it's the Pats that you're referring to then I don't agree. Some team may give him what he wants, but I'd be shocked if it was the Pats. He wants too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I care, but not because of what Revis means to the Jets, but instead, what we could have gotten for him in a trade. I have always looked at Revis as a commodity that could be used to improved this team.

The cowboys traded H Walker for a boatload of picks and won championships. The Texas Rangers traded A Rodriguez and now have a championship caliber team that has since won a championship.

Players like Revis you use to perfect your team, not build around. Due to this Injury, all bets and i mean all bets are now off.
    Very true and sadly as he laid on the ground the same thought went through my mind. There goes his trade value. Love the player, but not worth holes it leaves on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    well.. Revis can't sit out of the 2013 training camp, or 4 years are added onto his deal. That means he'll have to show up and prove that he's healthy. If he is, and the Jets want to proceed, they'll have the entire 2013 season to work out a deal with Revis. What's the issue again?

The contract is that he has to report, if he reports still injured from a injury that was the result of playing his contract is not broken..

Who is going to pay him that kind of coin coming off of this injury. Here is Darelle's dilemma.

He kind of loafs around next year to not get injured. In this scenario people are going to say he has lost it and not pony up the dough.

or

Go all out and possibly get hurt. He will not get paid at all.

Could be a 3rd scenario where he does not care for the game anymore and retires. Which would mean if he decides to come back 2 years later. The Jets may still own his rights due to that 4 year clause.

The Jets are in the drivers seat. He is going to want to get as much from the Jet's this off season to not have to worry about any of the above. They will know if the knee is right since their doctors will be looking at it all this season and next off season. If he gets a clean bill of health. The Jets will re-up him.

So people like Cimini are morons and do not look at the big picture.
    Last edited by Suffering; 09-26-2012 at 07:55 PM.

I like how te title reads "Revis Dobe with Jets?" and ten later says "after the 2013 season". I find that funny.

Figure Revis will have to bust his a$$ next year to prove he is back to 100% in order to get the contract he wants. Seems like we can either sign him to a long term deal during the season, or trade him during the season if we can't get a deal done.

Like a previous poster said, I doubt another team would be willing to pay him as much as the Jets would.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    well chowd

think how bad things would be if we were paying first round big bucks for Derin McBusty
    Then you would be feeling our pain...

I've been waiting all week for this so I'll post it here. Jason just posted his thoughts on the Revis situation. Since he knows more than all of us combined I think it's best to read it.

The Future of Darrelle Revis

One of the side stories of the Darelle Revis injury is now just what occurs with his contract and future with the Jets. There were more than a few reporters who initially felt his days as a Jet may be numbered. Jets beat writer Manish Mehta indicated that Revisí injury may have cost him $50 million dollars. So with that all in mind lets go over Revisí contract, how it works, and what it may mean to his future.

The existing deal

Revis technically has 4 years remaining on his contract, however the backend of the contract voids after next season, so in reality Revis has 1 year left. Next year Revis is set to earn $6 million dollars to play in the NFL. This will be paid in the form of a $1 million dollar workout bonus, $1 million dollar roster bonus, due on the 5th day of the 2013 League Year, $1 million dollar reporting bonus, and finally $3 million dollars of base salary. That money is currently guaranteed for skill and cap, however those guarantees void at the end of the 2012 season, meaning the Jets have no financial obligations left to Revis if these injury was so severe he could not return from it.

Provided the Jets do not release him and Revis does not hold himself out of any team activities next year, his contract with the Jets will void the day after the 2013 Super Bowl. Revis has a good measure of protection from release due to the $18 million option bonus he received in 2011. His salary cap charge in 2013 is $9 million, but would rise to $12 million in dead money if he was released. If the Jets allow his contract to void after he plays out the 2013 season he would cost $9 million in dead money in 2014. So there is still pressure from both sides to keep Revis on the team in the future rather than to just let him walk away.

How much money is lost

Manish brought up the point of $50 million due to the contract DE Mario Williams was given by the Buffalo Bills. Weíll get to the point about positional football in a minute, but note that most of that $50 million in guaranteed salary is in the form of injury guarantees. Williams real guarantee is $24.9 million, which can rise to about $40 million if he is not released after this season. The large cash payout in the first few years is certainly real, but it remains to be seen if the Bills maintain the relationship for that long as they are not bound by dead money cap constraints since their payroll is generally low.

The bigger point in comparing Revis to Williams is the fact that the players play entirely different positions. If the Jets wanted to commit that kind of money to Revis they would have reopened his contract this season since itís better to pay not than later in a career. The majority of the corner market is around $10 million with the top player at $12 million. The pass rusher market topped out at $14 million with the majority of the market in the $12 million range. Teams donít often like to be the ones to totally blow up a market. Look at how difficult it was for the New Orleans Saints to get Drew Brees over the $100 million dollar contract hurdle. Williams new contract represented a 14.3% raise over Julius Peppers. Using that same number the highest Revis would go is $13.7 million. Using the same percentages we would get a guarantee ranging from $21 to 34 million for Revis. So $50 million on the table is a bit much. Plus it is not like he will never have a chance to earn that money. Revisí biggest claim to that kind of money came from 2009 which is now the distant past. For as good as he has been he has never approached that kind of dominance again. In hindsight, a great deal of why he was that incredible was because of how much pressure the defense generated in 2009. Everyone was caught off guard and everyone benefitted from it. You take a player who is great in Revis and combine it with a spectacular pass rush and you get a corner that looks like he never gives up a reception. Since the defensive scheme was solved by the rest of the league Revis remains right at the top but itís no longer the dominance of 2009 where he was in a class all by himself. That was going to factor into any contract he signed.

Timing

The question becomes more one of timing than anything else. Letís go back to Revisí initial holdout which led to the current contract he is playing under. Revis originally signed a 6 year contract with the Jets in 2007, which would have ended in 2012. Because of the balloon payment due in 2012 the way the deal likely would have worked is that Revis would have played on that contract thru 2011 and been extended this season that would have made him a Jet thru 2017. Revis and his advisors decided to take a risk and hold out his services in 2010 in hopes for an extension. The real reason behind this was likely not so much as to make more money now, though that was definitely a concern, but to maximize his lifetime earning potential.

Though he never had to hold out, the perfect example of this was WR Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzgeraldís agent Eugene Parker, crafted a spectacular series of contracts that forced the Arizona Cardinals to keep extending the star WR for salary cap considerations. Fitzgerald has already been extended twice by the Cardinals and will most likely get another new contract following the 2014 season, at the age of only 31. To be able to earn four contracts in the NFL by the time you reach 31 is remarkable. Most players in his spot would be just trying to get their third deal. Revisí deal would have put him in a situation to likely get that fourth deal at the age of 32.

The injury likely puts Revis back to square one in terms of earning potential. Under the old deal his contracts probably would have been extended in 2012 and again in 2016. At the age of 31 in 2016 that would have been it for the big earnings. His goal was to be extended in 2010, 2013, and then again in 2016, getting those four contracts before he really turns the age corner. Now it looks more like heíll need to wait until at least 2014 to get a big deal and that could take him to 2018 to get his final contract, which may be too late to earn a final big one. Had Revis never held out he likely would have made $56 million thru 2013. By holding out he is going to earn $62.6 million, so he is going to come out ahead financially barring this being a career ender, but the vision of the multiple contracts is gone now. That being said if he is healthy there is no reason why he will not see the same money he would have seen before, itís just not going to get to him until a season later.

What does the future hold

Some articles have speculated that the Jets will low ball Revis due to the injury. I donít think that is the case at all. It would be a PR nightmare for the team to make that move. That doesnít mean you break the bank to keep him, but you do negotiate in relatively good faith within the constraints of the cornerback market. There was a time when I was a proponent of entertaining a trade for Revis, even with the large dead money hit, under the assumption that he was going to be tough to deal with in 2013 and the team could probably get a first round pick or a high second and third for him. Now the Jets would get limited value due to the injury so I donít think that is even a consideration anymore, which means you need to come to some agreement that benefits both sides.

The case to watch very carefully right now is Brent Grimes of the Atlanta Falcons. Grimes has been one of the top corners in the NFL the last three years and was playing under the franchise tag this season. He tore his Achilles in week 1 and will miss the entire year. He will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Atlanta can franchise him again to the tune of $12.5 million guaranteed, but with that being such a high number he should get to test the market. While the injuries are different both are severe and many consider the Achilles more damaging than an ACL. This is going to give both Revis and the Jets a framework to work in. While Grimes was not going to make Revis money his contract would likely be in the 5 year, $10-11 million a year ballpark, ranking him 3rd or 4th among corners. Depending on how many less years and less money he gets will give the sides an idea as to how to value the injury.

From Revisí side there is now going to be no hurry to redo the contract. They know he is no longer bargaining from a position of strength and you do not maximize your value from a position of weakness. The Jets have a little more urgency because of that void clause at the end of the season, but they will likely want to see what occurs for at least half the season before they give him anything close to the kind of contract he would like. That would seem to leave both sides with a very narrow window to sign an extension after at least the midway point of 2013 but before the Super Bowl ends.

If I were the Jets I might be more proactive in my approach. Itís no secret that the Jets and Revisí team do not get along. This feud started long before Revis was drafted and will linger longer after Revisí playing days are done. But there is a point where the two need to bury the hatchet and come up with a reasonable deal that benefits both sides. The fact is it may take Revis not just one, but two seasons to really prove he can be the Revis of 2009-2011 again. Revis also has no guarantee that he will be the Revis of old again.

Clearly there are going to be to models of contract. The first is the Peyton Manning style deal. The Broncos viewed Manning as if no injury occurred, but left themselves protection in the event his neck is unhealthy. The contract contains no prorated money, thus leaving them with no dead cap hit if Manningís neck does not allow him to continue playing beyond 2012. No matter how you spin it Revis is not Peyton Manning, meaning he would likely need to take a deal where the skill guarantees are rolling not based on checking out his knee. That would be a pure pay as you go contract and Iím not sure Revis would go for that, but itís one consideration. Likewise they could also do an inventive laden deal using this same model, that is based on playing time and other honors.

Another option would be to do a real ďband aidĒ contract. This is what I would prefer and I think would give both sides the time needed to see where Revis is at. Considering Revisí age signing his next mega deal in 2015 rather than 2014 is not going to have a material impact on his lifetime earnings. In this scenario you move the void date to follow the 2014 Super Bowl, leaving just 2015 and 2016 as the voidable years on the contract. Guarantee Revisí 6 million in 2013 and give him one year at the money he would have likely gotten per year if the injury did not occur, which for the sake of argument we will say is $13.5 million, in essence amounting to a 1 year fully guaranteed $13.5 million dollar extension.

If there is one silver lining in Revisí injury it is that it gives the Jets some flexibility with his cap number next season. Because of the way the league values incentives the fact that Revis is going to spend 13 weeks on IR rather than the active roster gives the Jets an opportunity to pay him in say gameday roster bonuses next season and not have it count against the cap until the following year. With 2013 looking to be a tight season capwise, I think itís a better idea to defer the charges as long as possible. Of course Revis needs to agree to this, but I would think there is a contract structure that could work.

For example the Jets could pay him a base salary of $1 million in 2013 with $5 million in gameday bonuses at $312,500 per game. As long as he is put on IR this week that would reduce next years cap hit during free agency from $9 million to $4.9375 million. You will have to make up the balance the following season, but the Jets cap should be much less of an issue in 2014 and its better to take the blow then rather than now. You would protect that money with the opportunity to earn the same amount in a roster bonus the following season, which would void based on the amount earned the year before. Likewise his 2014 salary would be partially protected with guarantees.

Granted this is going to leave the team with a monster cap hit in 2014, somewhere around $16 million with an even larger effective cap hit, but that is the purpose of a band aid. It gives the Jets time to decide what the market worth really is and also for Revis to prove that he should be paid as a top tier player. If he is healthy in 2013 and plays well then they have a good deal of time to determine how to tear up 2014 and give him the 5 year deal he wants.

Of course its easy for me to just say that when the reality could be option 3, which is a high stakes game of chicken between the two sides. Revis could refuse to sign a new deal and flex his muscle on the $9 million dollar dead cap the Jets incur if they donít sign him to the deal he wants next season. Itís a realistic possibility. The risk he takes there is playing out the 2013 season and getting hurt again or finding out he is ineffective after the ACL surgery. The added money he would receive under the first two options would be gone forever as it makes more sense to eat 9 million in dead money than paying someone who canít play anymore.

The Jets have more invested in Revis and would likely be the highest paying team for his services, but once they eat that money I doubt they would re-sign him. From their perspective they paid him a lot of money in 2010 and 2012 and in return he missed a ton of football games. Is that fair? No, but itís the same argument he made when he played all the games at a ďbelow marketĒ rate. If this occurred, he would be at the mercy of the market and Iím not sure that is what he would want. Nnamdi Asomugha had to create a bidding war between the Jets, Cowboys, and Eagles to get his money since there was no home team involved, and he didnít get anywhere near the insane money he had on his Raiders contract. If the interest is lukewarm he could end up with a lesser deal than he would have gotten by playing ball with the team who drafted him. Of course he could also get that big deal he wants.

Itís still early in the process and we wonít know more until Revis actually has his surgery and what his doctors say about his knee. Advancements in surgery have made returning from ACLs far more realistic than they would have in the past. I have confidence that he is going to still be a Pro Bowl caliber player, putting up similar numbers to those he puts up now. The damage to him is really that last contract he may have earned years down the line. He was never going to get the monster deal he believed he would get and the injury just solidifies that, but I still believe he will be the highest paid corner in the market once he is healthy. Will it be with the Jets? I guess we will wait and see.
    http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/revisfuture.html

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I wouldn't pay him anyway. Let's just get a pass rush then we don't need any good corners. WE could have no secondary at all like the Giants every year.
    Yeah, it's been proven you can just have a stable of stud pass rushers, a clutch QB, take half the season off and still be a Super Bowl winner (twice!) We've already got the "taking half the season off" part down.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    well.. Revis can't sit out of the 2013 training camp, or 4 years are added onto his deal. That means he'll have to show up and prove that he's healthy. If he is, and the Jets want to proceed, they'll have the entire 2013 season to work out a deal with Revis. What's the issue again?
    The issue is, if there isn't a contract in place before the start of the season. Revis is not going to sign a contract with the Jets. He'll test the FA market and make more money then we will give him.

His days as a Jet are over.

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    A completely speculative article based on nothing factual.

No team will be willing to pay Revis more than the Jets.
    Never, EVER count out Dan Snyder..

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The issue is, if there isn't a contract in place before the start of the season. Revis is not going to sign a contract with the Jets. He'll test the FA market and make more money then we will give him.

His days as a Jet are over.
    He would still have to play the 2013 season with the Jets before he could test the free agent market.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    A completely speculative article based on nothing factual.

No team will be willing to pay Revis more than the Jets.
    No team should be willing to pay Revis what he thinks he's worth, not even the Jets.

He simply wants too much money for the position he plays. Period.

in the end revis is a jet and he restructures and accepts a contract that will benefit the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Excatly...I guess you got sucked in too...or maybe you actually read the article...
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The contract is that he has to report, if he reports still injured from a injury that was the result of playing his contract is not broken..
    1.) I didn't read the article but I know this: Revis is under contract in 2013, he has to play out that year. If he holds out, contract extends for 4 years. So no it's not the end of Revis on the Jets. And if he's back to full health you can bet the jets will negotiate during with him during the year

2.) if you're ensuing Revis will fake still being injured, that's what team doctors are there for they can tell the team hes cleared to play
    Last edited by bgivs21; 09-28-2012 at 12:17 AM.

the whole article is a non issue. if revis is 100% then the jets should try to retain him and will need to do everything he can to show he's 100%. if he's something less, his best plan would actually be to sit out and get the 4 years tacked on. i'm sure for all is talent the rest of the teams know he's difficult in contract situations and now they have this injury to worry about. sure acl's are not as bad as they once were but they're still surgery and still pose a risk to the player. moreover, it's also about what's in his head. if he has the desire, he'll rehab well. if he goes through the motions......

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    1.) I didn't read the article but I know this: Revis is under contract in 2013, he has to play out that year. If he holds out, contract extends for 4 years. So no it's not the end of Revis on the Jets. And if he's back to full health you can bet the jets will negotiate during with him during the year

2.) if you're ensuing Revis will fake still being injured, that's what team doctors are there for they can tell the team hes cleared to play

I have no doubt that Revis will play for the jets in 2013 and he will play at maximum effort. However I do think that he will take it slow with an eye towards no medical set backs. I would not be suprised to see him start next year on PUP.

Who cares what a doctor says, if the player says he can't go what is the coach going to do, send him out there and watch him get beat?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Best case scenario for the Jets is Kyle Wilson comes out and plays well. If that's the case trade Revis ( should be able to get a 1 if he's healthy), and use the Revis money to fill holes. 12 - 16+ mill should fill a bunch of holes adequately.
    This is why his injury is almost a blessing at this point. At some point in the very near future the Jets were going to have to find out if they could play without Revis. Now we will find out, with a year still left on his contract and time to decide if we can move on without his services and dent in the salary cap. We certainly should be able to convert his moving on into at least two young prospects and a couple of FA with the money that would be saved, if that is the direction the Jets chose to take.
    Don' t get me wrong either, I would love to see Revis remain Jet for the remainder of his career, there is no one better then him. Yet, as others have pointed out you cannot tie up 25% of your cap on one player who is not a QB and hope to be able to compete in the NFL. This goes double for the Jets who have too many areas in need of upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the whole article is a non issue. if revis is 100% then the jets should try to retain him and will need to do everything he can to show he's 100%. if he's something less, his best plan would actually be to sit out and get the 4 years tacked on. i'm sure for all is talent the rest of the teams know he's difficult in contract situations and now they have this injury to worry about. sure acl's are not as bad as they once were but they're still surgery and still pose a risk to the player. moreover, it's also about what's in his head. if he has the desire, he'll rehab well. if he goes through the motions......
    Why would he sit out and work 4 more years under the present contract, no SB and no security. How is that best for him?

Jets' intention is to keep Darrelle Revis long-term despite injury

FLORHAM PARK, N.J.

In the wake of the devastating news that All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis will be lost for the season because of a torn knee ligament, speculation is swirling that the injury could derail future contract negotiations and lead to Revis' departure from the Jets after the 2013 season.

Not so fast, say coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum .

The Jets' two leading decision-makers told Newsday Thursday that they have every intention of keeping Revis well beyond the final year of his current contract, which runs through 2013. As long as Revis recovers from surgery that is expected to take place within the next two or three weeks -- and there is every expectation within the organization that Revis will get back to full strength -- the Jets will make every attempt to sign him to a deal that goes well beyond next season.

"Do I assume that Darrelle Revis will retire a Jet? I do," Ryan said. "That's something that I believe. Obviously, both sides have got to come together, but from my perspective, I think the Jets want Darrelle here and I think Darrelle wants to be a Jet. That right there is probably the biggest thing in having a guy long-term here."

Former Ravens assistant coach Ryan recalled when All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis made it known that he wanted to retire in that team's uniform. "I've seen it happen in Baltimore, where Ray wanted to be a Raven for life, and he is. That's my take on it," Ryan said.

Tannenbaum, who will handle contract negotiations that could be complicated by the injury situation, said the Jets will do everything in their power to keep Revis for the long haul.

"Right now, our focus is putting forth the necessary resources to help him make a full recovery," Tannenbaum said. "It's always been our hope that Darrelle would be a Jet for life."

But first things first. The Jets will want to make sure Revis makes a full recovery from his injury before initiating contract talks. The expectation heading into this season was that they'd wait until the off-season to work on a new deal. But Revis might not be back at full strength for as long as nine months, so there could be a delay in discussions.

Revis had indicated before training camp that he might not show up as a way to force a contract renegotiation, but the Jets declined to make any changes with two years left on the deal. "Discussions regarding his contract will take place at the appropriate time," Tannenbaum said Thursday.

Revis was unavailable for comment, and one of his agents, Jonathan Feinsod, did not return an email seeking comment. Feinsod and fellow agent Neal Schwartz negotiated a four-year, $46-million deal in 2010. Revis made $32.5 million in the first two years of the contract and is making $7.5 million this year. He is scheduled to make $3 million in base salary next season, plus a $3-million roster bonus.

In all likelihood, the Jets would have to rework the deal before next season to get a long-term deal done. But unless Revis suffers some unforeseen complications, they will do everything possible to keep him with the team for years to come.

Players routinely recover fully from ACL surgery, and Revis is only 27 years old, still in his physical prime. It's not a stretch to see him play at an elite level for another seven or eight years, which would absolutely justify a contract extension. Consider: Charles Woodson , the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year, still is a terrific player at age 35, having transitioned from cornerback to safety. He's signed through the 2014 season.

Remember, too, that the Bills rewarded defensive end Mario Williams with the richest free- agent contract for a defensive player this year (including $50 million in guaranteed money) although he had season-ending surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle last year.

Assuming Revis gets through the surgery in good shape, the Jets will need to make sure their best player -- and possibly the best player in franchise history -- will be here for years to come.

Is there a risk in putting so much money into a player coming off a significant injury? Sure there is. But the risk is even bigger if you don't make the investment and Revis plays somewhere else at an elite level.

Ryan and Tannenbaum made it clear Thursday that they hope it won't come to that.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...562&nopaging=1