Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The point is how was it communicated to the player

You think Belichick announced to the entire team "Edelman you have been traded..to the D"
    To me, it's only a negative if you view it as a demotion.

Simple calculation, with Revis out for the year, what position gave us the most immediate and pressing concern ? RB ? Or CB ? You can make do with a 3rd string QB and still function well on offense. With bad CBs, you get destroyed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    A defensive-minded coach wants McKnight to play defense and that's a bad thing? If he banished a defensive player to the offense, that would be a bad sign.
    wait a minute you could be onto something. can eric smith play running back?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    wait a minute you could be onto something. can eric smith play running back?
    I'd rather just cut him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The point is how was it communicated to the player

You think Belichick announced to the entire team "Edelman you have been traded..to the D"
    what difference does it make? Do we know what time the Jets have team meetings on Monday mornings? This is a business, a job, we have to rally ourselves at work, why should a pro football player be any different?

Besides, Rex just made him a more valuable player, he is now a offensive, defensive, punt blocking, kick return ace. Man up McNight, your coach thinks a lot of you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Rex has the right to do whatever he wants as head coach. But if he expects his players to respect him, he can't treat their careers like a big joke. He wants and needs McKnight to buy into this switch in order for it to be effective. Pulling him aside before a public announcement is one way to encourage that.

I've been a manager for a long time and I'd never think of doing something like this to one of my staff. It's just not helpful or productive.
    Thank you so much for this sane post!!!!

I currently teach Management and Strategic Human Resources to Business students and only an insensitive nut job would handle a significant change of work repsonsibilities in this manner and then have the gall to think that they did a good job!!

You couldn't remain a manager at McDonalds behaving this way but folks actually think that it is OK for the head of a billion dollar organization to do this.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    To me, it's only a negative if you view it as a demotion.

Simple calculation, with Revis out for the year, what position gave us the most immediate and pressing concern ? RB ? Or CB ? You can make do with a 3rd string QB and still function well on offense. With bad CBs, you get destroyed.
    But that's not the point. It's how he was initially told. You don't tell him of the switch in a team meeting. It should be done in private.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

I currently teach Management and Strategic Human Resources to Business students and only an insensitive nut job would handle a significant change of work repsonsibilities in this manner and then have the gall to think that they did a good job!!

You couldn't remain a manager at McDonalds behaving this way but folks actually think that it is OK for the head of a billion dollar organization to do this.....
    This is why our students fail. He's teaching them how to handle something that doesn't exist.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who wouldn't be happy going to the kill side of the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    what difference does it make? Do we know what time the Jets have team meetings on Monday mornings? This is a business, a job, we have to rally ourselves at work, why should a pro football player be any different?

Besides, Rex just made him a more valuable player, he is now a offensive, defensive, punt blocking, kick return ace. Man up McNight, your coach thinks a lot of you.
    It makes a huge difference. You sit him down in private and explain why, their plan for the transition and if he has any questions

You don't walk in a team meeting and blurt out " McKnight you've been traded...to the D " and make a joke out of it.

Act like a damn professional. This is the pros and not some beer league.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should try Tebow at CB.

Then it would be possible to have the impossible happend: a QB throwing a forward pass that gets intercepted by himself playing CB!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    They should try Tebow at CB.

Then it would be possible to have the impossible happend: a QB throwing a forward pass that gets intercepted by himself playing CB!

That's about as funny as the crucifiction.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It makes a huge difference. You sit him down in private and explain why, their plan for the transition and if he has any questions

You don't walk in a team meeting and blurt out " McKnight you've been traded...to the D " and make a joke out of it.

Act like a damn professional. This is the pros and not some beer league.
    My impression of Rex, and let's face it we all form our own impressions, is that this is a badge of honor for McNight, Rex thinks enough of him to look at him to help out a playoff bound team in a time of need. Aside from the fact that he is not losing his responsibilities on offense. If McNight was that worried about being a top-flight RB he would have made his case this summer, not ***** about not having his hand held in week 4 with the team's back against a wall.

wtf, real life is tougher that the **** that happened to mcNight on Monday. I don't understand you guys.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    That's about as funny as the crucifiction.
    Thank you. I'll be here till next week...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My impression of Rex, and let's face it we all form our own impressions, is that this is a badge of honor for McNight, Rex thinks enough of him to look at him to help out a playoff bound team in a time of need. Aside from the fact that he is not losing his responsibilities on offense. If McNight was that worried about being a top-flight RB he would have made his case this summer, not ***** about not having his hand held in week 4 with the team's back against a wall.

wtf, real life is tougher that the **** that happened to mcNight on Monday. I don't understand you guys.
    This is real life to McKnight.

To you it's just an interest..hobby..entertainment

And as others have pointed out- in real life it wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, be handled like this in a professional organization if you are a good Mgr.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is real life to McKnight.

To you it's just an interest..hobby..entertainment

And as others have pointed out- in real life it wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, be handled like this in a professional organization if you are a good Mgr.
    professional sports are not kind, he could be cut, he could be injured, he could be benched, he could be humiliated and screamed at on TV...there is no room for sensitive athletes at any level of sport, from HS, through college, and especially in the pros.

damn we're getting soft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    these freakin guys are too sensitive, Rex is a football coach, football coaches tell players what to do...again, McNight should be thrilled Rex thinks enough of him to be used to help the team in what is obviously a calamity.
    Hang on a sec, do you have people working for you? Would you treat them that way? Would you want your boss to tell you, essentially, that you are failing at your job and he is giving you one more chance at another one in front of a crowd?

I think not, in either case. It's just basic people skills 101.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Hang on a sec, do you have people working for you? Would you treat them that way? Would you want your boss to tell you, essentially, that you are failing at your job and he is giving you one more chance at another one in front of a crowd?

I think not, in either case. It's just basic people skills 101.
    you guys are looking glass half empty, when in reality it is glass half full...I'd be willing to bet Rex thought this was a compliment to the player and it got a positive reaction from the team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

But that's not the point. It's how he was initially told. You don't tell him of the switch in a team meeting. It should be done in private.
    Again, it depends on how you are viewing it. I'd actually look at it as a promotion, so announcing it publicly in the team meeting is just fine.

If you will, it would be like telling the junior asst VP of Marketing that you are moving him over to be the junior asst VP of Operations. That's simply a lateral move on the surface, until you realize that in this company, junior Asst VP of Operations is a more important and critical position.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 09-26-2012 at 10:13 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i don't blame him. he's basically being told he's not better at RB then that slug we have starting. i think this is a bad idea and again brings unnecessary distraction to the team.
    that because the CS only likes slugs who get 2 ypc and smash into the defender every play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Again, it depends on how you are viewing it. I'd actually look at it as a promotion, so announcing it publicly in the team meeting is just fine.

If you will, it would be like telling the junior asst VP of Marketing that you are moving him over to be the junior asst VP of Operations. That's simply a lateral move on the surface, unless you realize that in this company, jr Asst VP of Operations is a more important and critical position.
    The proof as they say is in the effect of the communication. Did Joe McKnight look at it as a promotion? From his responses we can assume that he didn't think of this as a promotion.

I am not trying to say anything other than treat others with dignity and respect.

If people think that this is what you do to others and it is working for you then do it, all I can tell you that this NOT in my experience what anyone who is been trained or operates a top flight organizations does it.

I thought that the Jets had a problem with personnel (see last year) with the HC saying he was "clueless and out of touch with the offensive side of the ball."

I think that you address a man directly by looking him in the face and telling him to his face what you are going to do. Hey people can disagree I am ok with that.

Think on this though name another succesful HC in the NFL who you would think would behave in this manner? Honestly I can't think of one and that to me is extremely telling.