Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The point is how was it communicated to the player

You think Belichick announced to the entire team "Edelman you have been traded..to the D"
    ... Hahahahahahahahaha ... Using bb as an example of a good communicator! ... That is just toooo f*ckin' funny! ...

Ljr

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Think on this though name another succesful HC in the NFL who you would think would behave in this manner? Honestly I can't think of one and that to me is extremely telling.
    we don't know though do we?

Do we know when Ditka told the frig he was playing fullback?
    Do we know when Bellitwit moved multiple offensive players to the other side of the ball?
    Do we know when Parcells told Keyshawn to go play centerfield on hail mary plays?

we don't. This cannot be compared to what happens in a corporate office, it's just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... Hahahahahahahahaha ... Using bb as an example of a good communicator! ... That is just toooo f*ckin' funny! ...
    Ljr
    Just because he doesn't talk to the press doesn't mean he doesn't communicate to his players.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Think on this though name another succesful HC in the NFL who you would think would behave in this manner? Honestly I can't think of one and that to me is extremely telling.
    ... He was before my time as an HC ... What about madden? ... His demeanor over the last 20+ years would seem to be the same ... Maybe some of you old timers could let us know how he was as HC ...

Ljr

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    the All Pro guy with the 31 yard average for kickoff returns in 2012 (including a 107 yard return for a TD)
    Pretty good speed, not lightning fast. He's not all that dynamic. He doesn't have the extra gear and can be caught from behind. McCourty chased him down last year when he had daylight. He's a high 4.4s guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    a lot of name calling thrown in the direction of the people that we're right all along in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post

Ljr
    Do you really think that the Belichick that you see in the media is the same BB that the players see? He has nothing but disdain for the whole press responsibilities the league mandates so he makes them as dry and uncomfortable as possible. All players to a tee claim he's a master communicator.

One thing you CAN be sure of, if he asks a player to change his role for the good of the team, you'll NEVER read about the players "hurt feelings" in the press.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Alls I read was 3 interceptions of each QB in practice.

That's nice to see. Good feeling about this one.
    Really? You know the QBs were Sanchez, Tebow, and McElroy right. I just don't like how we're putting more and more players in positions they're not experienced in. It makes the other team's job easier to create mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Do you really think that the Belichick that you see in the media is the same BB that the players see? He has nothing but disdain for the whole press responsibilities the league mandates so he makes them as dry and uncomfortable as possible. All players to a tee claim he's a master communicator.

One thing you CAN be sure of, if he asks a player to change his role for the good of the team, you'll NEVER read about the players "hurt feelings" in the press.
    I believe this completely ... after watching his "Football Life" program or whatever on NFLN. It was obvious he was very articulate and forward-thinking, always trying to negate his teams deficiencies by creating headaches for the opponent. And he had a great rapport with his players also. I'm sure he could come up with something more inspirational than "Let's go get a goddamn snack!" I still dislike the enemy but I respect the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    a lot of name calling thrown in the direction of the people that we're right all along in that thread.
    Thankfully we can all look back, realize our mistakes and learn to be more civil to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If that is truly how McKnight was told that is utter BS.

You are correct. A good Mgr (which is what a HC is, well at least one that knows what one is) would tell McKnight in private and why.

If this truly was the way Rex handled it then the NY Post wasn't that far off a few weeks ago. Rex is a clown and turning this franchise into a circus.
    I'm starting to wonder about the clown thing now too. We've all seen clips of Rex goofing around, joking with players, joking with Tanny, joking during the press conferences. I can't recall too many where I've seen him get down to business. We've seen him repeatedly toot certain player's horns on their behalf and then see them fail epically.

Now this pre-season, he started saying he's the best defensive mind in the game ... I don't like where this seems to be headed. He should never be satisfied with what he's done. Instead of proclaiming himself as the best, he should be saying there's a lot more he could still do. It's like he's conquered the dragon already. I don't want to hear him talk about the two AFCCGs anymore. That's ancient history as far as any of us are concerned. He seems knowledgable about Jets history but he should take some lessons from the Jets' recent history, e.g. how Mangini went from "Mangenius" to out of a job in 3 years.

Rex acts like he's mastered the defensive part of the game already so why not start looking at ways to improve the offense. He's the HEAD coach after all, not the defensive coordinator. I don't want to compare him to the enemy but BB was once one of the most highly-touted defensive minds and he ended up leading one of the most potent offenses. Then last year his organization seemed to revolutionize TE play. I mean that's the kind of stuff I want to see from Rex, not him leading off every other press conference with, "No questions? Alright. Let's go." (Rex, it stopped being funny after the 20th time I heard it.)

Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    I'm starting to wonder about the clown thing now too. We've all seen clips of Rex goofing around, joking with players, joking with Tanny, joking during the press conferences. I can't recall too many where I've seen him get down to business. We've seen him repeatedly toot certain player's horns on their behalf and then see them fail epically.

Now this pre-season, he started saying he's the best defensive mind in the game ... I don't like where this seems to be headed. He should never be satisfied with what he's done. Instead of proclaiming himself as the best, he should be saying there's a lot more he could still do. It's like he's conquered the dragon already. I don't want to hear him talk about the two AFCCGs anymore. That's ancient history as far as any of us are concerned. He seems knowledgable about Jets history but he should take some lessons from the Jets' recent history, e.g. how Mangini went from "Mangenius" to out of a job in 3 years.

Rex acts like he's mastered the defensive part of the game already so why not start looking at ways to improve the offense. He's the HEAD coach after all, not the defensive coordinator. I don't want to compare him to the enemy but BB was once one of the most highly-touted defensive minds and he ended up leading one of the most potent offenses. Then last year his organization seemed to revolutionize TE play. I mean that's the kind of stuff I want to see from Rex, not him leading off every other press conference with, "No questions? Alright. Let's go." (Rex, it stopped being funny after the 20th time I heard it.)
    Media crap

This is a full quote from McKnight telling his tale of today's news:

“This is how I found out, Rex walked into the room and said I was traded, I got traded to the defense," Mcknight told reporters with an ear to ear grin. “Ever since then, I’ve just been working on the defense. I’m not doing a lot of stuff, just keeping it small and really simple for me, so I can go out there and just play.”
    That sure presents a different light on McKnight's response to the news. Also depicts that his defensive role will be a small one, and that he'll still have his other responsibilties. And if it also means that we get a promising player in Grimes out of it, this makes the move all the better. I felt the Jets would make a move for Grimes a couple of weeks back.

...and more

“Yeah, I was surprised, but it was a decision to make the team better,” McKnight admitted of his switch to the defensive side. “I’m all for it.”
    One player who was impressed with McKnight’s cover skills this week was none other than Tebow himself.

“Joe’s very talented and he is someone that is a playmaker, I think he showed that in practice today, I think he had three interceptions,” declared Tebow. “That’s good for him, he’s playing in a position I think he feels comfortable at. I think he’ll be able to adjust and have a chance to be a big time corner.”

Surely a different picture here.

As usual, the media has an agenda, and fans are presented with false info...

I'm tired of the clown/circus crap, people need to learn to not trust the media

Was McKnight surprised, sure, but it seems like he's more than willing to have a small role if it helps the team.

And to kill Rex? Really? To me, that is Rex having a pulse of his team and maybe using some humor into how he deals with his team in the lockerroom...

I found the entire article below and Tebow's comments to be interesting as well

http://nyj.scout.com/2/1225574.html

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    we don't know though do we?

Do we know when Ditka told the frig he was playing fullback?
    Do we know when Bellitwit moved multiple offensive players to the other side of the ball?
    Do we know when Parcells told Keyshawn to go play centerfield on hail mary plays?

we don't. This cannot be compared to what happens in a corporate office, it's just not the same.
    Yes it is. In my life I have been a manager as a Marine Staff Sargent, a Major, and an Executive Director at an investment bank, and all the peon roles in between.
    Whether it's a promotion or a demotion, you take the time to face your employee and explain the reasons for the action. That is one aspect of what we call leadership.
    The fact that McKnight was so pissed in front of the press says it wasn't handled correctly. Please be real, this is all common sense to anyone with any ability to be a leader of men (or women.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    The proof as they say is in the effect of the communication. Did Joe McKnight look at it as a promotion? From his responses we can assume that he didn't think of this as a promotion.

I am not trying to say anything other than treat others with dignity and respect.
    Funny story for you Charlie. Back in college, I had to give a speech in a Communications class. I started out the speech by saying "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen".

Turns out that the Professor was a fairly radical left wing Feminist and she took exception to how I started my speech. According to her, it was sexist.

Point being that I don't fault Rex for McKnight taking this in what I believe to be the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Yes it is. In my life I have been a manager as a Marine Staff Sargent, a Major, and an Executive Director at an investment bank, and all the peon roles in between.
    Whether it's a promotion or a demotion, you take the time to face your employee and explain the reasons for the action. That is one aspect of what we call leadership.
    The fact that McKnight was so pissed in front of the press says it wasn't handled correctly. Please be real, this is all common sense to anyone with any ability to be a leader of men (or women.)
    And you are assuming that none of that happened in any fashion based on the few tidbits the media spins?

McKnight wasn't pissed, that is typical media sensationalism, read my post above.

And let's not forget that Rex has done this before with McKnight, this isn't the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And you are assuming that none of that happened in any fashion based on the few tidbits the media spins?

McKnight wasn't pissed, that is typical media sensationalism, read my post above.

And let's not forget that Rex has done this before with McKnight, this isn't the first time.
    Based on:
    "This is a full quote from McKnight telling his tale of today's news:

Quote:
    This is how I found out, Rex walked into the room and said I was traded, I got traded to the defense," Mcknight told reporters with an ear to ear grin. “Ever since then, I’ve just been working on the defense. I’m not doing a lot of stuff, just keeping it small and really simple for me, so I can go out there and just play.”
    I'll possibly retract that he was pissed, I know the media spins this stuff. I still would never suprise someone in front of a group like that. Too many opportunities for misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Based on:
    "This is a full quote from McKnight telling his tale of today's news:

Quote:
    This is how I found out, Rex walked into the room and said I was traded, I got traded to the defense," Mcknight told reporters with an ear to ear grin. “Ever since then, I’ve just been working on the defense. I’m not doing a lot of stuff, just keeping it small and really simple for me, so I can go out there and just play.”
    I'll possibly retract that he was pissed, I know the media spins this stuff. I still would never suprise someone in front of a group like that. Too many opportunities for misunderstanding.
    Sorry, I completely disagree. This isn't Rex' first year with the team, this is his 4th, he has a good pulse on his players, they know when Rex is being Rex and probably using the moment to inject some humor. And who is to say that Rex didn't either really have a session with McKnight before the team meeting? The mention of "grin" suggests the possibility. I would also imagine Rex had a 1 on 1 with McKnight at some point, I'd be pretty confident of this.

Look, Rex like any other coach has his flaws, but what would be hard to criticize Rex for is how he handles and deals with his players, a coach like Rex doesn't get comments made from some of his former players like Trevor Pryce.

Are we really trying to suggest that when McKnight goes on record, point blank, and says "They think I can't play RB. I'm pissed", that he was just joking around?

"I was drafted as a running back," McKnight said. "The way I took it as I wasn't good enough to play running back; that's what I took it as. I don't know if that's the case or not."

You can't spin that. He's not happy, at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I like how people imply that this move is somehow going to make or break our season. Yeah, how Mark Sanchez performs isn't important. Defense is of no consequence either. Joe freakin McKnight moving to cornerback, that's a "disaster".

I think the real important point is that a player is calling out our head coach.