Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I think the real important point is that a player is calling out our head coach.
    Except that didn't happen, and the point that is trying to me made in this thread is crap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't say much at all for the exisiting back ups in Lankster and the other dudes. they must really be scubs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    McNight should not be bummed about this imho, any kid from W&M can play RB, it takes a very talented athlete to play in the defensive backfield, especially on short notice.

All that being said, wtf is Tanny doing, the Jets have no depth anywhere, keep trading away draft picks to move up a couple of spots and we will continue to see seasons derailed by injuries to key players. Don't get me wrong, I know Revis is irreplaceable however he needs to get this team deeper at all spots or get back to drawing up contracts.
    This is true. The CS could've done a better job of selling it to him, and McK will just have to lump if for now. Too bad but them's the breaks. If the Pats can take scrubs like Edelman and find use for them, then McK with his vastly superior skills should be able to make the jump as well. Plus, if he does it well enough - potentially more $$ for him down the road.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    we will release him, the Pats will pick him up and he'll shine at RB.
    That would be a good fit I guess

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the real important point is that a player is calling out our head coach.
    Stop that! LOL

Joe said he was going to do whatever the coach wants, period. He's upset he can't get in the offensive backfield, and he didn't whine a bit; he also laughed off the notion of being a hs corner as if it meant anything in the NFL.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 09-27-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight should've been tipped off about his future as an RB at Southern Cal, when he really didn't see the field until his see much of the field until his junior year. And then he only averaged about 13 carries per game.

The top HS recruit getting limited touches in college was his red flag. I like his big-play ability, but he really hasn't flashed it except for on kick return duty.

Joe, learn a new position, become more valuable, realize this, then stop btchn. wanna be a full time RB, go to the UFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I like how people imply that this move is somehow going to make or break our season. Yeah, how Mark Sanchez performs isn't important. Defense is of no consequence either. Joe freakin McKnight moving to cornerback, that's a "disaster".
    This is a question of Ryan's leadership style and effectiveness which has been questioned by the fans and media for some time. It's a bit more evidence of the clownish behavior attributed to the team (and Rex specifically). The HC doesn't come off sounding very professional in this particular instance. But as Ray Ray says, who knows what actually happened.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    This is a question of Ryan's leadership style and effectiveness which has been questioned by the fans and media for some time. It's a bit more evidence of the clownish behavior attributed to the team (and Rex specifically). The HC doesn't come off sounding very professional in this particular instance. But as Ray Ray says, who knows what actually happened.
    True.

If Rex announced it to the whole team instead of pulling the player aside first to tell him privately first, that's horrible management.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Alls I read was 3 interceptions of each QB in practice.

That's nice to see. Good feeling about this one.
    Have u seen our QBs???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The beauty of the McKnight to CB experiment is that we the fans are absolutely going to get the answer on this one. On other questions the debate might go on inconclusively for years. Here, we are extremely thin at CB and if McKnight is in any way effective in this role then he is absolutely going to get onto the field in game situations. If he does not then that tells us the experiment has failed on the practice field. You know that if McKnight gets onto the field then other teams are going to target him early and often. So we are all of us going to get to see for ourselves (assuming he passes the test of being able to perform in practice).

Zero investment = small risk = Why the heck not?

Personally I don't expect it to work but if it did not cost us a mid-round draft pick next year then it is one of our better moves.

As far a worrying about McKnight's feelings.... Hrrm... Well Rex probably needs to polish his people skills if the reports of how McKnight was told are true but maybe Rex thought that telling Joe in a humorous way was a good way to cushion the news. In any event JW is right, if Joe is upset (big if) then Joe needs to toughen up his nipples a bit and deal with it like a man.
    Last edited by EM31; 09-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Alls I read was 3 interceptions of each QB in practice.

That's nice to see. Good feeling about this one.
    Joe got NINE INTERCEPTIONS in practice????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Doesn't say much at all for the exisiting back ups in Lankster and the other dudes. they must really be scubs.
    Does it?

Lankster and Trufant immediately advance their roles, Wilson replaces Revis as the starter, McKnight adds and replaces depth, not Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think Wilson is better playing outside. Lankster is servicable at best inside. Maybe McKnight can play nickel. If McKnight can cover TEs, and backs it would allow rex to drop both safeties to make up for Revis. To me the most important thing is getting Coples, and Ellis in on passing downs. McIntyre did not look good this week, and Pace is just too slow at this point. He would have 5 sacks by now if he had any burst. Devito while great at the run has no pass rush skills. We may as well rush 2 if we're going to use these guys. They need to try someone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are dumber than I thought.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I personally think Wilson is better playing outside. Lankster is servicable at best inside. Maybe McKnight can play nickel. If McKnight can cover TEs, and backs it would allow rex to drop both safeties to make up for Revis. To me the most important thing is getting Coples, and Ellis in on passing downs. McIntyre did not look good this week, and Pace is just too slow at this point. He would have 5 sacks by now if he had any burst. Devito while great at the run has no pass rush skills. We may as well rush 2 if we're going to use these guys. They need to try someone else.
    Agreed on the bold part.

Lankster played very well in pre-season, he has ability, I think with consistent reps, he could establish himself and the stabalize the depth in the secondary.

I'm a fan of Trufant, he's a feisty player with good speed, servicable in a dime role. I think McKnight will come in and play a lot of man-to-man, not experienced or ready to play a role in zone.

CB isn't the only position that will be used to help make up for the loss of Revis, the Safety position will be huge, if we lost Revis last year, with the safeties we had playing on the team, this team would have been in big trouble, but that isn't the case.

Landry's emergency and health at S could be HUGE for the defense, it already has been to this point, and I only see him getting better and having a bigger and bigger impact, same with Bell since both are new to the system, and can only get better every week. With a healthy Smith, he does became valuable in 3 S sets, Smith will get a ton of work in the box, and I think we will see this a lot to help address the loss of Revis.

I also think Bush is a player that not only can benefit from Revis' loss, but his ability can also help make up for his loss in zone coverage situations. Landry and Bush are our best cover safeties, I see Bush becoming a bigger part of the defense in a rotation with Revis out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    that's a big part of this, if they're willing to move mcknight from rb to cb when they're thin at rb and greene stinks. that they would rather sign a rb off another team's PS, move mcknight to cb when he has no experience rather than use the cbs they already have, really tells you what the coaching staff thinks of these backup dbs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    we will release him, the Pats will pick him up and he'll shine at RB.
    Yup

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Say what you will, if Joe McNight sees significant playing time in the secondary, we are truly screwed. These experiments don't work mid season.

What was the name of the guy Kotite started against the Raiders in that prime time game?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Say what you will, if Joe McNight sees significant playing time in the secondary, we are truly screwed. These experiments don't work mid season.

What was the name of the guy Kotite started against the Raiders in that prime time game?

The genius Patriots with Troy Brown and Julian Edelman would beg to differ

The funny thing is, this isn't the first time McKnight has played on defense, he played on defense last year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

The genius Patriots with Troy Brown and Julian Edelman would beg to differ

The funny thing is, this isn't the first time McKnight has played on defense, he played on defense last year.
    Just because the Jets could never take advantage of brown and Edelman back there, doesn't mean oth teams with accurate and poised QBs didn't.

We are screwed if he plays. We don't get pressure on QBs with our front 7 and we need cover guys. It is unfair to but mcNight in this position.