Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 144

Thread: Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

  1. #21
    Not good that he's sharing his obvious displeasure with the press. And Rex could have had a sit down with him rather than announce it in front of the team. I know Rex was criticized for being too much of a players coach but this was downright rude and disrespectful. In my opinion that is.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    have to disagree. Say, for the sake of argument, that he's the #2 back and that Powell is slightly behind him at #3.

    We take a bit of a drop off at the RB position by bumping up Powell, BUT, we gain a lot having McKnight at CB, which is a more critical position for the team.
    I don't see how someone having to re-learn the position from the ground up is an upgrade. He has the potential to develop due to his athleticism but it's not like he'll be improving the roster much sitting at CB5 on the depth chart, at least in the short term.

  3. #23
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,093
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Not good that he's sharing his obvious displeasure with the press. And Rex could have had a sit down with him rather than announce it in front of the team. I know Rex was criticized for being too much of a players coach but this was downright rude and disrespectful. In my opinion that is.
    in all honesty, the guy is currently the 3rd RB, he should be thrilled Rex is trying to get him quality minutes on the field.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Not good that he's sharing his obvious displeasure with the press. And Rex could have had a sit down with him rather than announce it in front of the team. I know Rex was criticized for being too much of a players coach but this was downright rude and disrespectful. In my opinion that is.
    Rex isn't tough enough

    Rex is too soft

    Rex can't do anything without somebody whining about it

    It was rude and disrespectful for a head coach to tell a player who HAS already previously worked at DB previously to take some reps at that same position in light of an injury to one of our key players?

  5. #25
    "McKnight found out about the Jets' plans for him during a Monday meeting in front of the entire team. Ryan told him he'd be attending meetings with the defense going forward.

    "Rex walked in the room and said I got traded, I got traded to the defense," McKnight said.
    "


    Rex is such a bonehead - almost a cartoon character sometimes. No good manager would ever handle a personnel switch like that. You pull the guy aside and talk to him one on one first. You don't just announce it in front of the whole team and surprise the player. That's just dumb.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,093
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    "McKnight found out about the Jets' plans for him during a Monday meeting in front of the entire team. Ryan told him he'd be attending meetings with the defense going forward.

    "Rex walked in the room and said I got traded, I got traded to the defense," McKnight said.
    "


    Rex is such a bonehead - almost a cartoon character sometimes. No good manager would ever handle a personnel switch like that. You pull the guy aside and talk to him one on one first. You don't just announce it in front of the whole team and surprise the player. That's just dumb.
    these freakin guys are too sensitive, Rex is a football coach, football coaches tell players what to do...again, McNight should be thrilled Rex thinks enough of him to be used to help the team in what is obviously a calamity.

  7. #27
    Wow, suprised by this. I thought it was just in an emergency role to add depth. "Almost full time" seems like this is something completely different.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    I apologize if this has already been discussed, but this team gets an 'F' for the way they have handled McKnight since he came here.

    here is a player with lightning speed and great hands and first, they force him to run between the tackles. they rarely utilize him in a way that feature his strengths on offense.

    so while Greene stinks up the first month of the season, he gets 2 carries with Tebow at QB. 2 plays that every defender knows is going to be a run.

    now this. Do we even have a player development plan? most organizations in most sports have documented programs to develop talent. here is a guy with a ceiling close to Reggie Bush and we really screwed it up.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    "McKnight found out about the Jets' plans for him during a Monday meeting in front of the entire team. Ryan told him he'd be attending meetings with the defense going forward.

    "Rex walked in the room and said I got traded, I got traded to the defense," McKnight said.
    "


    Rex is such a bonehead - almost a cartoon character sometimes. No good manager would ever handle a personnel switch like that. You pull the guy aside and talk to him one on one first. You don't just announce it in front of the whole team and surprise the player. That's just dumb.
    If that is truly how McKnight was told that is utter BS.

    You are correct. A good Mgr (which is what a HC is, well at least one that knows what one is) would tell McKnight in private and why.

    If this truly was the way Rex handled it then the NY Post wasn't that far off a few weeks ago. Rex is a clown and turning this franchise into a circus.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    these freakin guys are too sensitive, Rex is a football coach, football coaches tell players what to do...again, McNight should be thrilled Rex thinks enough of him to be used to help the team in what is obviously a calamity.
    Rex has the right to do whatever he wants as head coach. But if he expects his players to respect him, he can't treat their careers like a big joke. He wants and needs McKnight to buy into this switch in order for it to be effective. Pulling him aside before a public announcement is one way to encourage that.

    I've been a manager for a long time and I'd never think of doing something like this to one of my staff. It's just not helpful or productive.

  11. #31
    Tannenbaum is to dumb, Woody is to cheap, Rex is to stubborn and the Jets just aren't a good enough organization to draw a quality cornerback in so they convert a running back. This team is turnng into the circus that hey don't want to be!!!!!

  12. #32
    Memories....
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    IMO the Jets 2010 class with the possible exception of Ducasse, of whom I am most doubtlful, -- in other words, Wilson, Conner and McKnight will all be major contributors in 2011 and potentially probowlers at their positions beginning in 2012

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I apologize if this has already been discussed, but this team gets an 'F' for the way they have handled McKnight since he came here.

    here is a player with lightning speed and great hands and first, they force him to run between the tackles. they rarely utilize him in a way that feature his strengths on offense.

    so while Greene stinks up the first month of the season, he gets 2 carries with Tebow at QB. 2 plays that every defender knows is going to be a run.

    now this. Do we even have a player development plan? most organizations in most sports have documented programs to develop talent. here is a guy with a ceiling close to Reggie Bush and we really screwed it up.
    Lightning speed? Which guy are you watching?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Rex has the right to do whatever he wants as head coach. But if he expects his players to respect him, he can't treat their careers like a big joke. He wants and needs McKnight to buy into this switch in order for it to be effective. Pulling him aside before a public announcement is one way to encourage that.

    I've been a manager for a long time and I'd never think of doing something like this to one of my staff. It's just not helpful or productive.
    +1 especially your 1st paragraph. Well said!

  15. #35
    can mcknight punt? maybe we can free up the money and the roster spot. sorry that was rex and woody thinking not me.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Lightning speed? Which guy are you watching?
    the All Pro guy with the 31 yard average for kickoff returns in 2012 (including a 107 yard return for a TD)

  17. #37
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,093
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Rex has the right to do whatever he wants as head coach. But if he expects his players to respect him, he can't treat their careers like a big joke. He wants and needs McKnight to buy into this switch in order for it to be effective. Pulling him aside before a public announcement is one way to encourage that.

    I've been a manager for a long time and I'd never think of doing something like this to one of my staff. It's just not helpful or productive.
    How shocked could McNight have been? He practiced at CB last week, and if I recall correctly Rex worked him out at the position last season. I understand these guys are worried about their careers, however if you really think about it, McNight career as an RB is not going that well if he is not getting reps with what the Jets currently have, and add to that the fact that football is a team sport that requires sacrifice by players. I'm willing to bet Rex did not stand at a podium and tell him he was traded to defense for the first time. He had to figure something was going to happen after REvis was lost and the player brought in this week didn't pan out.

    Rex should be about getting wins as a coach, that's what coaches are supposed to do...anyway, do you guys think Belitwit was worried about Edelman's feelings when he was used as a DB in years past? No, he did whta was best for the team, feelings be damned.

  18. #38
    I am just speechless here. Joe is the only RB we have that shows any explosiveness or the ability to catch. They can't be serious here.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    How shocked could McNight have been? He practiced at CB last week, and if I recall correctly Rex worked him out at the position last season. I understand these guys are worried about their careers, however if you really think about it, McNight career as an RB is not going that well if he is not getting reps with what the Jets currently have, and add to that the fact that football is a team sport that requires sacrifice by players. I'm willing to bet Rex did not stand at a podium and tell him he was traded to defense for the first time. He had to figure something was going to happen after REvis was lost and the player brought in this week didn't pan out.

    Rex should be about getting wins as a coach, that's what coaches are supposed to do...anyway, do you guys think Belitwit was worried about Edelman's feelings when he was used as a DB in years past? No, he did whta was best for the team, feelings be damned.
    The point is how was it communicated to the player

    You think Belichick announced to the entire team "Edelman you have been traded..to the D"

  20. #40
    A defensive-minded coach wants McKnight to play defense and that's a bad thing? If he banished a defensive player to the offense, that would be a bad sign.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us