Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Joe McKnight not happy about move to CB

This is not a good sign...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ted-cornerback

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Joe McKnight reluctantly wore the green of a defensive player Wednesday, his first day as a newly minted cornerback for the New York Jets.

Coach Rex Ryan said the Jets are planning to convert the running back in order to shore up the cornerback position after Darrelle Revis suffered a season-ending ACL tear last Sunday in Miami.

"He'll have a role on offense but we're teaching him how to play corner in an almost, not quite a full-time capacity," Ryan said. "But he's going to be over there a ton, in the meetings and everything else."

McKnight, who had three interceptions in practice -- one from each quarterback -- accepted his new role, but he wasn't necessarily happy about it.

"I was drafted as a running back," McKnight said. "The way I took it as I wasn't good enough to play running back; that's what I took it as. I don't know if that's the case or not."

McKnight found out about the Jets' plans for him during a Monday meeting in front of the entire team. Ryan told him he'd be attending meetings with the defense going forward.

"Rex walked in the room and said I got traded, I got traded to the defense," McKnight said.

McKnight will still have a role on offense, Ryan said. He also is used in some of the Wildcat packages.

"He can do it all; return kicks, punts, offense, defense," quarterback Mark Sanchez said. "He's one of those dynamic guys who can do it all. I think he's still doing both sides of the ball, so double study hall."

McKnight has 14 yards on three carries this season in the Jets' first three games. He had been passed by Bilal Powell on the depth chart at running back, but is a quick and athletic player the team would like to utilize. McKnight also returns kickoffs.

"He's a guy that we saw on scout team that he has the necessary skills to be able to play corner," Ryan said. "He's got the speed, the size, athleticism, the ball skills, so I don't think there's any reason not to think Joe McKnight couldn't be a corner. It's just going to take time, obviously."

As far as his defensive work, McKnight has played some scout team at corner for the Jets and also played the position in high school. He was asked if the latter would help him adjust to his new role in the NFL.

"That does not help at all," McKnight said. "It's been a while since I played cornerback, maybe if I'd played cornerback in college four years. Me playing cornerback in high school does not help right now."

McKnight will play behind Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson on defense, the two players who will be most expected to compensate for the loss of Revis. Still, whether he plays as a substitute or in a nickel package, McKnight will need every bit of that speed and athleticism to cover the wide receivers in the NFL.

"I have a bigger role just making sure he knows the assignments that he's supposed to do," Cromartie said. "Coach (Dennis) Thurman and I are working on his technique."

After the team lost the perennial Pro Bowler in Revis, it didn't add another corner, but they did add a running back in Jonathan Grimes, a player off the Houston Texans' practice squad.

So even if McKnight doesn't like it, he will push himself to use the opportunity because that's what the team needs right now.

"Once a coach makes a decision, you just got to go in and do what he says to do," McKnight said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't blame him. he's basically being told he's not better at RB then that slug we have starting. i think this is a bad idea and again brings unnecessary distraction to the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty obviously a last ditch effort to get some usage out of him before they let him walk or cut him. He must be pretty bummed that his career as a RB flamed out.

This is an 'eh' move to me. I doubt it has much effect at all.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    McNight should not be bummed about this imho, any kid from W&M can play RB, it takes a very talented athlete to play in the defensive backfield, especially on short notice.

All that being said, wtf is Tanny doing, the Jets have no depth anywhere, keep trading away draft picks to move up a couple of spots and we will continue to see seasons derailed by injuries to key players. Don't get me wrong, I know Revis is irreplaceable however he needs to get this team deeper at all spots or get back to drawing up contracts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alls I read was 3 interceptions of each QB in practice.

That's nice to see. Good feeling about this one.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    It's pretty obviously a last ditch effort to get some usage out of him before they let him walk or cut him. He must be pretty bummed that his career as a RB flamed out.

disagree, the Jets looked to add a DB and the best they could find available was an RB already on the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    McNight should not be bummed about this imho, any kid from W&M can play RB, it takes a very talented athlete to play in the defensive backfield, especially on short notice.

All that being said, wtf is Tanny doing, the Jets have no depth anywhere, keep trading away draft picks to move up a couple of spots and we will continue to see seasons derailed by injuries to key players. Don't get me wrong, I know Revis is irreplaceable however he needs to get this team deeper at all spots or get back to drawing up contracts.
    Am I the only one that thinks Rex has WAY too many DLineman on the roster?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Rex has WAY too many DLineman on the roster?
    don't we have 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 4 TE's? A bunch of skill guys with limited skills

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post

have to disagree. Say, for the sake of argument, that he's the #2 back and that Powell is slightly behind him at #3.

We take a bit of a drop off at the RB position by bumping up Powell, BUT, we gain a lot having McKnight at CB, which is a more critical position for the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't we have 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 4 TE's? A bunch of skill guys with limited skills
    Yeah that too.

The problem isn't the position I suppose, but rather the quality of players.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Yeah that too.

The problem isn't the position I suppose, but rather the quality of players.
    exactly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Alls I read was 3 interceptions of each QB in practice.

That's nice to see. Good feeling about this one.
    Then again...It's just practice.

Then again...It's Mark Sanchez, McElrat, and....uhh...who's the 3rd QB again?

If he does something like that against Alex Smith, Schaub, Luck, or Brady.....then we can feel good.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    we will release him, the Pats will pick him up and he'll shine at RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen bub. You are on the hairy edge of being labeled a SOJF so you had better watch your step around here and keep a lid on that negative Nancyism.

In other news some of us already had McKnight as a total bust at RB (sorry Stokes) so if we can get any ROI with him pitching in as a CB, any ROI at all then that has to be considered 100% "found money", no?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the same guy when he went to USC wanted to play on both sides of the ball and Carroll told him we need you at RB, we have guys that can play CB.

I have a funny feeling he may turn into a decent corner. Could be the best thing for his career.

Come on Joe take one for the team. You may like it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post
    we will release him, the Pats will pick him up and he'll shine at RB.
    There is definitely a he already showed he couldn't carry Woodhead's jock gag in here somewhere. I just know there is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Listen bub. You are on the hairy edge of being labeled a SOJF so you had better watch your step around here and keep a lid on that negative Nancyism.

In other news some of us already had McKnight as a total bust at RB (sorry Stokes) so if we can get any ROI with him pitching in as a CB, any ROI at all then that has to be considered 100% "found money", no?
    lol, sojf, moi?

acutally as far as return from McNight is considered, the man always looked like a decent RB to me when ever given a chance, granted not a starter, I think the move speaks more on the two bad picks the past two seasons, Powell & whatever that guy's name was that got cut this summer (can't remember). Powell looked ok this past weekend but that was only compared to the major disappointment that was Shonn Greene running into his blockers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, sojf, moi?

acutally as far as return from McNight is considered, the man always looked like a decent RB to me when ever given a chance, granted not a starter, I think the move speaks more on the two bad picks the past two seasons, Powell & whatever that guy's name was that got cut this summer (can't remember). Powell looked ok this past weekend but that was only compared to the major disappointment that was Shonn Greene running into his blockers.
    On the RB question I don't know JW. I mean, the man has to be doing something consistently wrong in front of multiple coordinators such that he continues to not rise up a depth chart that is as weak as this one.

Are you in the camp then that feels he is being held back and not given a chance for some nefarious reason?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry I just don't get why they don't use him more at running back.The one game he did start end of year against Buffalo 2010 he did get over 100 yards.

He is one of the few explosive playmakers on this team and he's never used.

We are thin at wideout.Why do they not run some packages where he is in the slot?

In the backfield he could be used on screens

I just don't get the love affair this team has with Shonn Greene.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    On the RB question I don't know JW. I mean, the man has to be doing something consistently wrong in front of multiple coordinators such that he continues to not rise up a depth chart that is as weak as this one.

Are you in the camp then that feels he is being held back and not given a chance for some nefarious reason?
    not nefarious, I agree he probably looks like crap in practice. He probably misses assignments, can't block, or is lazy, however he is a gameday guy imho. After Lankster the Jets have very little at CB, this automatically puts an athlete of his caliber into the dime slot...Rex is probably just looking to get something out of a roster laden with JAGS after the the top spots.