Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: How Booze Built America

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    How Booze Built America

    Anyone see this show? Three part series on Discovery Channel. Part 2 tonight at 10. Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs is the host.

    I saw the first episode. Pretty good, some laughs mixed in with American history and drinking. I'm no history major, but I'm guessing most of it's true. Even claims the anthem is based on an English drinking song.


    Ben Franklins dictionary for being sauced-

    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/ho...america/videos
    Last edited by Big L; 09-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, Johnny Appleseed was a hard cider purveyor, and fathered 94 bastard children. Rumored, of course.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was on a flight I was on a few weeks ago. The guy next to me was convinced it was a joke.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,263
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I learn in school, this country was built by booze and tobacco. Strangely enough the two most taxed items and most trying to PC America.

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad they dont tell the other side of the story where a successful Chicago surburbanite ends up shrunken, slope-shouldered, bleary-eyed shut-in....swatting madly at imagined tormenters on his Vermont property...wife quietly weeping at a table piled high with peaches no one will ever eat.

    -

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the show and found it interesting and informative. The only downside for me was Mike Rowe. Think the guy is starting to believe his press or something. Mike, tone down the "look at me, everybody" sarcasm and smarm.

  7. #7
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Mike, tone down the "look at me, everybody" sarcasm and smarm.
    He's like Andy WIlliiams.... standing in a vat of ***t.


    -

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Too bad they dont tell the other side of the story where a successful Chicago surburbanite ends up shrunken, slope-shouldered, bleary-eyed shut-in....swatting madly at imagined tormenters on his Vermont property...wife quietly weeping at a table piled high with peaches no one will ever eat.

    -

    I'm pretty sure that's the premise for the new season of "American Horror Story"

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Saw the show and found it interesting and informative. The only downside for me was Mike Rowe. Think the guy is starting to believe his press or something. Mike, tone down the "look at me, everybody" sarcasm and smarm.
    For shame! How dare you!

    Mike Rowe's about the only TV personality that seems vaguely level headed, IMO. I'd love to have a beer with that guy.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    He's like Andy WIlliiams.... standing in a vat of ***t.


    -
    With less charisma. Mike, you're a voice over specialist, not on camera talent. Go light a candle, count your money, and stop ruining truly fascinating shows like How Booze Built America.

    While I'm at it, let's pistol whip those writers and producers for turning a serious topic into pablum and a showpiece for that putz, Rowe. Idiots.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    With less charisma. Mike, you're a voice over specialist, not on camera talent. Go light a candle, count your money, and stop ruining truly fascinating shows like How Booze Built America.

    While I'm at it, let's pistol whip those writers and producers for turning a serious topic into pablum and a showpiece for that putz, Rowe. Idiots.
    Again, how dare you! You, sir, are out of line! Pistols at dawn.

    I like my serious topics, such as American history, with a beer and a dose of chuckles.

    Kinda like a doctor giving the bad news - "Well, the tests came back positive. You have cancer. So here, have a beer. Oh, did you hear the one about the priest, rabbi, and the hands free donor machine?"

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    For shame! How dare you!

    Mike Rowe's about the only TV personality that seems vaguely level headed, IMO. I'd love to have an appletini with that guy.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Again, how dare you! You, sir, are out of line! Pistols at dawn.

    I like my serious topics, such as American history, with a beer and a dose of chuckles.

    Kinda like a doctor giving the bad news - "Well, the tests came back positive. You have cancer. So here, have a beer. Oh, did you hear the one about the priest, rabbi, and the hands free donor machine?"
    LOL.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is further proof that booze built America.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    This thread is further proof that booze built America.
    It certainly built this mornings loose stool.

  16. #16
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    For shame! How dare you!

    Mike Rowe's about the only TV personality that seems vaguely level headed, IMO. I'd love to have a beer with that guy.
    I agree with you that he seems like a really cool, down to earth guy.

    I agree with Borgo that he is approaching levels of massive over exposure. And as much as I love Deadliest Catch (probably my favorite show), the After the Catch episodes with Rowe and the captains in a bar are painfully contrived.

    And for the Tebow's sakes, lose the stupid unbranded ball cap. The guy is always dressed like a 7 year old.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I agree with you that he seems like a really cool, down to earth guy.

    I agree with Borgo that he is approaching levels of massive over exposure. And as much as I love Deadliest Catch (probably my favorite show), the After the Catch episodes with Rowe and the captains in a bar are painfully contrived.

    And for the Tebow's sakes, lose the stupid unbranded ball cap. The guy is always dressed like a 7 year old.
    He kind of irked me to begin with, but those Jean commercials where he is supposedly getting checked out by chicks as he walks down the street in his dumb baseball hat sealed it.

    He needs to go back to cleaning out giant industrial sewer strainers.

    oh, and I dress the same way, but with branded baseball hats, Bonehome


    -

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    He kind of irked me to begin with, but those Jean commercials where he is supposedly getting checked out by chicks as he walks down the street in his dumb baseball hat sealed it.

    He needs to go back to cleaning out giant industrial sewer strainers.

    oh, and I dress the same way, but with branded baseball hats, Bonehome


    -
    Jealous?


  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Jealous?


    Heck noes. You, however, seem to have a particular attachment to this dude.

    Not that there is anything....wrong...with that.



  20. #20
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Too bad they dont tell the other side of the story where a successful Chicago surburbanite ends up shrunken, slope-shouldered, bleary-eyed shut-in....swatting madly at imagined tormenters on his Vermont property...wife quietly weeping at a table piled high with peaches no one will ever eat.

    -
    I love TImmeh, but LMAO

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us