Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: some numbers on just how bad our D is

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    from the NY Post today: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...hzH7Cozq7jfO7J

The Jets have failed to stop the run — they rank 28th in the league, giving up 148.7 yards per game

can’t stop opponents on third down — allowing 55.8 percent of third downs to be converted, worst in the NFL.

They have just three sacks, 29th in the NFL, this year.

They have blitzed five or more rushers on 40 pass plays this season, according to ESPN. Only five teams have blitzed more than them. The blitzes have not yielded much success. Teams are completing 65 percent of their passes when the Jets blitz
    I guess when you are ranked number 1 in your first year there is only one way to go and the Jets defense has been in steady decline ever since.

Yards Per Game
    2009 Number 1
    2010 Number 3
    2011 Number 5

But Rex guaranteed a top 5 defense this year. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    So where do you think we end up?
    Probably 8-15, top half of the league. Not as good as I hoped but not as bad as people are implying in this thread. The offense is a bigger problem IMO, even though they may be ranked higher at this point (I haven't checked)

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Evaluating?? More like excusing and accepting garbage this organization put on the field.
    You wouldn't hear this much whining and complaining if you passed by a crowded children's nursery school.

They have just three sacks, 29th in the NFL, this year.

They have blitzed five or more rushers on 40 pass plays this season, according to ESPN. Only five teams have blitzed more than them. The blitzes have not yielded much success. Teams are completing 65 percent of their passes when the Jets blitz[/QUOTE]

This is because our LB are slow as molasses. They blitz and it gets picked up every time because the other team has so much time to see it and react. This is why I cringe whenever I see them do it because it rarely pays off and I know a big play is coming against us. Big Ben has skewed those numbers a little though for not being able to get him down, but at least they did get to him. They can't be aggressive like we used to be with everyone up on the line so you don't know who's rushing and who's dropping back. Atlanta did it great against Peyton the other week. Our LB would never make it back in time to cover. They are a major part of the problem with this D as it was last year and did nothing to fix it other than create a motto of one step faster and slim fast diets. Can't wait till next year when 3 out of 4 will be gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You wouldn't hear this much whining and complaining if you passed by a crowded children's nursery school.
    Those kids are only there 2-3 years. We have had this nonsense for 43 years.

All Pro
    The problem with you and others is you act like no poster can't give a critical opinion to a glaring problem on this team. We must accept and make an excuse on issues that haven't been fixed for some time by HC and GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    No, we just aren't evaluating things while stomping our feet and our heads in the sand.
    How are you doing Ray? Welcome back I am happy to see you so energized. I do hope you managed to consider the last little while as a learning experience and an opportunity for self improvement.

No foot stomping that I can see in here. There does seem to be a small but vocal (ain't that always the way?) bunch of whiney little sunshine boys insisting that everything in the world is really really sunny and that any reports of monsoon rains must be made up out of whole cloth.

Hall Of Fame
    You would if the school was being used by the NY Jets sunshine boys fans club. Then there would be no end to the whining that would be heard from people with nothing better to do than whine and cry that someone has a different opinion than they do.

The problem with you and others is you act like no poster can't give a critical opinion to a glaring problem on this team. We must accept and make an excuse on issues that haven't been fixed for some time by HC and GM.
    If the complaining was limited to how bad Shonn Green is, then fine. Or if it was limited to Vlad Ducasse, then fine. But people on this board whine about every draft pick, every trade, every cut, every non-signing, every INT. SOJF's were upset when Woodhead left, when Edwards left, when Cotchery left and yet all of those guys are barely rosterable on the teams they currently play for. Its comical to me.

So instead of just sitting back and letting some of you drag down this board with negativity, i throw some negativity back at those that whine. Does it annoy you? Good, now you know how your whining annoys many of us.

Hall Of Fame
    If the complaining was limited to how bad Shonn Green is, then fine. Or if it was limited to Vlad Ducasse, then fine. But people on this board whine about every draft pick, every trade, every cut, every non-signing, every INT. SOJF's were upset when Woodhead left, when Edwards left, when Cotchery left and yet all of those guys are barely rosterable on the teams they currently play for. Its comical to me.

So instead of just sitting back and letting some of you drag down this board with negativity, i throw some negativity back at those that whine. Does it annoy you? Good, now you know how your whining annoys many of us.
    Please be good enough to provide all of us with a full list of the subjects that in your opinion it is OK to be critical of the Jets about.

That way we can all be careful to not discuss any subject in any way that risks getting sand into your vagina.
    Last edited by EM31; 09-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.

How are you doing Ray? Welcome back I am happy to see you so energized. I do hope you managed to consider the last little while as a learning experience and an opportunity for self improvement.

No foot stomping that I can see in here. There does seem to be a small but vocal (ain't that always the way?) bunch of whiney little sunshine boys insisting that everything in the world is really really sunny and that any reports of monsoon rains must be made up out of whole cloth.
    Self improvement? For what? I took one for the team, kind of like the guy that gets flagged after hitting back the douchebag that started a fight on the field. That's ok though, mods can't be expected to keep up with all the reindeer games on this site.

Nobody is insisting the world is always sunny, it's moreso that those of us with our heads actually breathing in the fresh air realize this isn't an episode of the Matrix, that the machines have not taken over the world, the human race doesn't live miles underground, and there isn't any sunshine in site, a more accurate depiction.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Self improvement? For what? I took one for the team, kind of like the guy that gets flagged after hitting back the douchebag that started a fight on the field. That's ok though, mods can't be expected to keep up with all the reindeer games on this site.

Nobody is insisting the world is always sunny, it's moreso that those of us with our heads actually breathing in the fresh air realize this isn't an episode of the Matrix, that the machines have not taken over the world, the human race doesn't live miles underground, and there isn't any sunshine in site, a more accurate depiction.
    Well then we agree to differ. I see a bunch reasonable people for the most part, who are frustrated by by what they see as a multi year series of missteps by management and no real sense of accountability on their part.

What follows is a rational discussion of the opportunities that exist for improvement after a balanced evaluation of the current state of the team. Balanced. Conservative even.

Three games in the defense has been awful. Maybe it gets better but it has certainly has not been the tower of strength that many predicted before the season began ("greatest Jets defense of all time" - remember that thread?). There is frustration here on JI because much of this hyperbole is coming not just from the fans but from Rex himself and the fan base in general has become tired of deeds not matching up to the words. Good teams don't talk about being good they ARE GOOD and then other people talk about how good they are.

In any event I am glad you are at peace with taking one for "the team" (read - your sins) and there is no animosity from my side. I think this site is a richer place because of your input. Yes, even the other fella too. One day I may actually even explain to you what happened a few weeks ago in that other thread but I suspect that today you are not in all THAT much of a learning mood.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think 3 weeks is too early to look at statistics, either team wide or individual and pass judgment. Ther's just not enough data.

Eight weeks is a good judge IMO, because after 8 weeks it is harder to change the trajectory of the statistical breakdown.

Either a team/player has to greatly overperform or underperform for the final 8 games for their stats to be markedly different at the end of the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I think 3 weeks is too early to look at statistics, either team wide or individual.

Eight weeks is a good judge IMO, because after 8 weeks it is harder to change the trajectory of the statistical breakdown.

Either a team/player has to greatly overperform or underperform for the final 8 games for their stats to be markedly different at the end of the season.
    Try applying that logic to 2008.

Well then we agree to differ. I see a bunch reasonable people for the most part, who are frustrated by by what they see as a multi year series of missteps by management and no real sense of accountability on their part.

What follows is a rational discussion of the opportunities that exist for improvement after a balanced evaluation of the current state of the team. Balanced. Conservative even.

Three games in the defense has been awful. Maybe it gets better but it has certainly has not been the tower of strength that many predicted before the season began ("greatest Jets defense of all time" - remember that thread?). There is frustration here on JI because much of this hyperbole is coming not just from the fans but from Rex himself and the fan base in general has become tired of deeds not matching up to the words. Good teams don't talk about being good they ARE GOOD and then other people talk about how good they are.

In any event I am glad you are at peace with taking one for "the team" (read - your sins) and there is no animosity from my side. I think this site is a richer place because of your input. Yes, even the other fella too. One day I may actually even explain to you what happened a few weeks ago in that other thread but I suspect that today you are not in all THAT much of a learning mood.
    Hmmm... ok you have my intrigue, I don't know what you're talking about.

Being frustrated and unhappy is never a gripe of mine, we're all fans, we all want the same goal for the team.

My lack of patience is with those that just throw up their hands and lash out and don't try to see the bigger picture, or those that try to paint a more gloomy picture than the reality of the team's situation.

All coaches have their way, I happen to love Rex's way in how he operates, his no-nonsense style mixed in with an unorthodox and off-the-cuff brashness is something we really haven't seen in the NFL. To me, Rex is a really emotional guy, wears it all on his sleeve, he's confident and hates to lose, when he does, you can read it all over his face and then some. He's genuine, which for me, is huge, because there are too many coaches who put up a front and bull**** their way through their jobs. Rex isn't unlike any other coach though, he and his methods are all susceptible to losing as any other, but it's how he handles himself. When the team loses, I know he's pissed, and he will do anything and everything to fix it, and I believe the team buys in to a lot of what he does, they play hard for him, and love playing for him, that to me is a mark of a good coach, once a coach loses his team, i.e. Herm, it's a lost cause. I see a team that is always motivated, always plays hard, and loves to play on a Rex Ryan Jets football team, that doesn't make them immune to mistakes, it also doesn't mean I don't think Rex has/will/can make mistakes.

All Pro
    Just curious. What is IRONfAN supposed to mean? Sounds imposing, and steadfast but it seems more like you are a fan of ironing.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I think 3 weeks is too early to look at statistics, either team wide or individual and pass judgment. Ther's just not enough data.

Just go by last years Giants. They looked unbeatable, then they couldn't bye a win, losing to the Redskins. Then they squeaked in and won a ring. If these girls were Giant fans they would have committed suicide just before they went on a run. It's only a few positions being off that are causing our problems. They are correctable, and I believe Coples, and Ellis will be a big part of that, along with Dixon being gone, starting this week. Keep those blockers off Harris, and get a pass rush. More 4 man fronts. We'll see what happens.

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    As long as we win, we could be dead last in every category, I don't care.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Just curious. What is IRONfAN supposed to mean? Sounds imposing, and steadfast but it seems more like you are a fan of ironing.
    Just curious who are you and how did you see yourself into this conversation.

All Pro
    Just curious who are you and how did you see yourself into this conversation.
    I started it Ironingfan. I'm sorry you're confused