Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: some numbers on just how bad our D is

I don't know how I missed this thread. Anyway, the thing I took away from that is that we blitz the 6th most of any team in the league.

Yet after the game, this place was full of threads talking about how we needed to be more aggressive on defense. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't have the numbers at the time, but we have one of the most aggressive defenses in the league, in terms of blitzing.

With Revis gone, you're going to see less blitzing, not more of it. You can't leave corners exposed with no help over the top but so often. I'd venture to guess that the teams that blitz more often than us run zone blitzing schemes. Your sending extra guys, but you're still playing 2 or 3 deep behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post

In short I think it is going to take at least a year for the DL kids to blossom and I think we are undermanned and over aged at LB. We need to draft again there. We are crossing our fingers that one or more of the younger safeties or cornerbacks step up because the team has urgent needs elsewhere and is unlikely to go CB in the draft any time soon. Landry will either crap out with an injury of be very very expensive next year if he has an injury-free year this year. Pace and Scott and BT are gone after this season. Where are the replacements? McEntyre?
    I think Tanny's disdain for mid to late round draft picks is really coming back to haunt this team. Whether exchanged for vets or used to move up in the draft, Tannenbaum treats these picks as if they had little to no value. If I remember correctly the Jets have had the fewest draft choices in the entire NFL over the last 5 years. And our return on these decisions has been moving up to draft that powerhouse RB Shonn Greene or adding Tim Tebow to the roster.

Think instead if we had added LB over the last few years. We wouldn't have had to pay for these expensive vets that are marginal producers to start and who fall off quickly (Bart Scott, Calvin Pace). The team likely could have had replacements waiting in the wings instead with a few mid-round picks.

Mid to late round picks are exactly how you create depth on your roster. A good coaching staff can develop these guys into starters over a year or two and they can become the backbone of a team. With their cheap rookie contracts it's also a big help to the salary cap.

To echo a point made above, I think it's just another example of the short-sighted nature of our Front Office. The Jets don't seem to have a long-term plan and just kind of "wing it". That's not how smart teams do business.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    You do the whole all you want. This team is horrible on both sides of the ball.

On Offense we can't do the following: Run, catch, pass

On Defense we can't do the following: tackle, pressure the QB, get off the field on 3rd down.

Do we have a winning record at the moment? Sure we do. Talk to me in 4 weeks after we have run off 4 losses in a row.
    I am with you on this. There is nothing we do really well and feel like we can hang our hat on that and its our bread and butter.

If there is one thing that it could be, of all things we least expected its actually our pass protection. 2 sacks in 3 games (not counting sack on last play of pitt game down 17).

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think Tanny's disdain for mid to late round draft picks is really coming back to haunt this team. Whether exchanged for vets or used to move up in the draft, Tannenbaum treats these picks as if they had little to no value. If I remember correctly the Jets have had the fewest draft choices in the entire NFL over the last 5 years. And our return on these decisions has been moving up to draft that powerhouse RB Shonn Greene or adding Tim Tebow to the roster.

Think instead if we had added LB over the last few years. We wouldn't have had to pay for these expensive vets that are marginal producers to start and who fall off quickly (Bart Scott, Calvin Pace). The team likely could have had replacements waiting in the wings instead with a few mid-round picks.

Mid to late round picks are exactly how you create depth on your roster. A good coaching staff can develop these guys into starters over a year or two and they can become the backbone of a team. With their cheap rookie contracts it's also a big help to the salary cap.

To echo a point made above, I think it's just another example of the short-sighted nature of our Front Office. The Jets don't seem to have a long-term plan and just kind of "wing it". That's not how smart teams do business.
    I disagree with you. You trade entire drafts for players like Revis and Harris. What's killing this team is not getting anything over the last few years from all our top picks, 1st and 2nd rounders. Ducasse, Wilson, Coples, Wilkerson, Gholston. None of these guys are producing even near what was expected of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I disagree with you. You trade entire drafts for players like Revis and Harris. What's killing this team is not getting anything over the last few years from all our top picks, 1st and 2nd rounders. Ducasse, Wilson, Coples, Wilkerson, Gholston. None of these guys are producing even near what was expected of them.
    The risk with trading away a draft for a few guys is that you have to make sure you hit on all of them. There's no room for error. And even with the best scouts the draft will always be a bit of a crap shoot. So it pays to have a lot of picks. When you bomb on a few (and all teams do) the big numbers allow you to recover. The Jets haven't been able to do that lately.

As to the guys you mention it's still early. Gholston is the only true bust at this point. Wilkerson looks good already and the rest we'll find out by next year.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 09-28-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The 3rd downs are a huge problem but I disagree with the notion that those stats reflect how we are against the run. Many of those yards came against Buffalo when all we are concerned with is the passing game...

That said, the defense simply hasn't been good enough. At all. We won't be making the playoffs unless the defense plays top 8 or so.
    The Jets D under Rex for the past 3 seasons has always given up the big drive to loose games and has been terrible on third and anything. This d gives up 3rd and 10+_ yards like they were not even on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    The Jets D under Rex for the past 3 seasons has always given up the big drive to loose games and has been terrible on third and anything. This d gives up 3rd and 10+_ yards like they were not even on the field.
    Here is a crazy idea, instead of having a 40% 3rd down conversion percentage maintain possession, score 6 not 3, and put the game out of reach.

Is it time to axe Pettine???

Jets Insider VIP
    The risk with trading away a draft for a few guys is that you have to make sure you hit on all of them. There's no room for error. And even with the best scouts the draft will always be a bit of a crap shoot. So it pays to have a lot of picks. When you bomb on a few (and all teams do) the big numbers allow you to recover. The Jets haven't been able to do that lately.

As to the guys you mention it's still early. Gholston is the only true bust at this point. Wilkerson looks good already and the rest we'll find out by next year.
    Agreed...except Vlad is a bit of a bust as well. That said, rounds 4 and after are extremely important. 1/2 your team will be rounds 5 and after. We trade away to many of these and 2012 for example none of our 7's made the team?

better drafting...better team. We draft average at best and our record shows it.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed...except Vlad is a bit of a bust as well. That said, rounds 4 and after are extremely important. 1/2 your team will be rounds 5 and after. We trade away to many of these and 2012 for example none of our 7's made the team?

better drafting...better team. We draft average at best and our record shows it.
    Tanny drafts via streets & smith

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The safeties have been substantially improved, and we drafted a new MLB and a new DE. Last year we got a stud, DE, and DT. We are lacking at OLB, but that's it. Pace got old quickly. Thomas hasn't played yet, but I don't expect too much from him either. We need to start trying some different guys at OLB, and/or start playing more 4 man fronts. Tanny didn't injure Revis, or Pouha. We have to see how they will manage without Revis, and hopefully Pouha gets better. We are transitioning from the old guard. You can't expect it to be completely seamless, but it's not as if they are doing nothing. We are covering receivers over the middle. I don't know what you're watching. We aren't tackling as well because blockers have been getting to the second level. We need to shore up the line, and get a pass rush. The pass rush is Coples, and olb. I'd say either Sapp, or Maybin. Maybin looks like he forgot all the new pass rush moves he learned. Maybe Pace should be on the line in a 43 instead olb. He's been playing in Thomas' spot so we'll see how he does moved back to the weak side. Ellis, a healthy Pouha, and losing Dixon should fix the run defense.
    Part of the bad tackling problem (and a part that I personally find very irritating) is the guy who fails to make the tackle at all because he seems preoccupied with making the strip. Bart Scott has been the worst offender here and Pace is another but they are by no means the only ones.

People also forget that Bart's money essentially got guaranteed this year as part of a restructuring deal that freed up money to go after Aso last year. Tanny has done this kind of thing often enough that I think it is part of his plan. Do what you need to do to protect your job today and let later worry about later.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

To me if a guy gets on the practice squad, he's made the team since he's still getting the coaching and learning how to play in our system. Sometimes you lose guys like we did with Gananaway who the Rams signed. But overall I'm not too bothered when late round guys end up on the PS.

Jets Insider VIP
    To me if a guy gets on the practice squad, he's made the team since he's still getting the coaching and learning how to play in our system. Sometimes you lose guys like we did with Gananaway who the Rams signed. But overall I'm not too bothered when late round guys end up on the PS.
    Im not bothered either, your point is a really good one...I would like to simply see the JETS draft a little better at 4 through 7 and NOT trade them like bubble gum cards.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I agree. The only rounds that matter are 1-3. 4-7 are throw away picks. The problem comes from when your picks in rounds 1-3 don't pan out. Which is what is happening to us. Its nice to hear a story about a good player taken in the 5th round, but its just as likely you find a good player as an UDFA.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I agree. The only rounds that matter are 1-3. 4-7 are throw away picks. The problem comes from when your picks in rounds 1-3 don't pan out. Which is what is happening to us. Its nice to hear a story about a good player taken in the 5th round, but its just as likely you find a good player as an UDFA.
    Rounds 4-7 are not throwaway picks. As a team you expect less of any single one but you do expect to get some rate of return given enough of them. The problem is that when you do not have enough of them your chance of hitting gold is reduced. It would be an interesting exercise to look at good teams and see how many of their roster were their own later round draft picks. I believe that this is where your roster depth comes from.