Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: some numbers on just how bad our D is

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

some numbers on just how bad our D is

from the NY Post today: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...hzH7Cozq7jfO7J

The Jets have failed to stop the run ó they rank 28th in the league, giving up 148.7 yards per game

canít stop opponents on third down ó allowing 55.8 percent of third downs to be converted, worst in the NFL.

They have just three sacks, 29th in the NFL, this year.

They have blitzed five or more rushers on 40 pass plays this season, according to ESPN. Only five teams have blitzed more than them. The blitzes have not yielded much success. Teams are completing 65 percent of their passes when the Jets blitz

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

The Jets have failed to stop the run ó they rank 28th in the league, giving up 148.7 yards per game

canít stop opponents on third down ó allowing 55.8 percent of third downs to be converted, worst in the NFL.

They have blitzed five or more rushers on 40 pass plays this season, according to ESPN. Only five teams have blitzed more than them. The blitzes have not yielded much success. Teams are completing 65 percent of their passes when the Jets blitz
    From the kool aid crowd.... "Three games in"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Can you imagine what we'd be ranked iffin we didnt have a defensive Thuper Geniuth at the helm?

Rex is soooome talent.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the SOJFs we are 2-1. Once again can anyone tell me what the problem is, or are you just going to go with the stats and tell me this is what our defense is. Can this be improved or not? You don't know, because you don't know why it happened.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's slightly better than I would have thought .... Hahaahhaa.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Wow that's slightly better than I would have thought .... Hahaahhaa.
    You mean it could be worse???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    From the SOJFs we are 2-1. Once again can anyone tell me what the problem is, or are you just going to go with the stats and tell me this is what our defense is. Can this be improved or not? You don't know, because you don't know why it happened.
    So why dont you enlighten all of us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least we have the best cornerback in the game. Oh wait a minute............scratch that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're 2-1, and, according to these stats, can only get better.

Super. Bowl.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Some facts to consider that deludes these numbers.

Spiller gained over 100 yds on two carries in the first game when the score was 41-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter, and the team went into pro bowl mode/extended garbage time.

Jets stopped the Steelers for 28 carries for 66 yds against a physical OL and RB's

The Miami game, the team had to adjust twice and any game in Miami in September is a dog fight, the heat, the elements in that game, the defense was running on fumes by the end of the game. Factor in OT play and the team played for nearly 70 minutes. Bush started fast but then the defense clamped down. Thomas had 60 yds on 19 carries, Miami does have a strong OL, they kept going back to the run when the passing game was ineffective.

It's week 3 of the season, these numbers are deluded.

A better story will be available after week 8.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    From the kool aid crowd.... "Three games in"
    So every response to you doom and gloom and naive rhetoric is kool aid...

Got it...

Grow up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the article talks about a "back to basics" movement among the Jets defense with an emphasis on tackling. How many JI forum members have criticized the defense for not doing simple things like wrapping up the ball carrier ? The Jets D are going for the big, ESPN highlight hits and aren't doing the obvious things like making sure the offensive player is down. Bart Scott's hit and non-tackle allowed Spiller an extra 40 yards in the Bills game. So some of these problems are easily correctable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So why dont you enlighten all of us.
    Pouha was getting pushed off the line by one man when he normally anchors two men. McIntyre was physically handled last week, and Harris has been missing a lot of tackles. Pace while he is always in position, and handles his man at the line, is just so slow at this point that it allows them to recover. The McIntyre experiment may be over soon. Harris is normally a great form tackler so I can't expect it to continue. Pouha either will recover, or be replaced by Ellis who is a beast. Wilkerson is getting double teamed and handling it great. His biggest problem is that he sometimes looks for the ball. When he stays down and uses his technique he is a monster. With Pouha back, or Ellis in this will be a mismatch. Coples is also a beast, but seems a little tentative like he's not sure if he's in position or not. He definitely needs to be out in passing situations though. So we need to try someone besides McIntyre, and Pace. We need Pouha healthy, and need to play Coples, and Ellis more. That's what I see.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 09-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smoke and mirrors is why we are 2-1. Fitzpatrick gift wrapping us the first game and Dolphins being more of a joke than us is the only reason. The 49ers are going to DESTROY us on both sides of the ball. I am predicting a shutout by them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Smoke and mirrors is why we are 2-1. Fitzpatrick gift wrapping us the first game and Dolphins being more of a joke than us is the only reason. The 49ers are going to DESTROY us on both sides of the ball. I am predicting a shutout by them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pouha was getting pushed off the line by one man when he normally anchors two men. McIntyre was physically handled last week, and Harris has been missing a lot of tackles. Pace while he is always in position, and handles his man at the line, is just so slow at this point that it allows them to recover. The McIntyre experiment may be over soon. Harris is normally a great form tackler so I can't expect it to continue. Pouha either will recover, or be replaced by Ellis who is a beast. Wilkerson is getting double teamed and handling it great. His biggest problem is that he sometimes looks for the ball. When he stays down and uses his technique he is a monster. With Pouha back, or Ellis in this will be a mismatch. Coples is also a beast, but seems a little tentative like he's not sure if he's in position or not. He definitely needs to be out in passing situations though. So we need to try someone besides McIntyre, and Pace. We need Pouha healthy, and need to play Coples, and Ellis more. That's what I see.
    Everybody is a beast but nobody is beasting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the article talks about a "back to basics" movement among the Jets defense with an emphasis on tackling. How many JI forum members have criticized the defense for not doing simple things like wrapping up the ball carrier ? The Jets D are going for the big, ESPN highlight hits and aren't doing the obvious things like making sure the offensive player is down. Bart Scott's hit and non-tackle allowed Spiller an extra 40 yards in the Bills game. So some of these problems are easily correctable.
    That one play was basically a disaster. Bart went for the ball seemingly because he saw Landry had the tackle, but Bart ended up taking Landry out of the play. Mostly you have to blame Dixon on that play for allowing Spiller to get in the open field with room to make those moves. Bart has been a little over aggressive so far, but he's also made a bunch of impact plays. Same as Landry. Harris has been guilty of more missed tackles. Arm tackling instead of wrapping up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Everybody is a beast but nobody is beasting.
    Well they're beasting on the sidelines. That doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think this is the real problem with the run D. the frustrating thing is that even when the jets stay in position and force the rb to change direction the rb still gets yardage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    You do the whole all you want. This team is horrible on both sides of the ball.

On Offense we can't do the following: Run, catch, pass

On Defense we can't do the following: tackle, pressure the QB, get off the field on 3rd down.

Do we have a winning record at the moment? Sure we do. Talk to me in 4 weeks after we have run off 4 losses in a row.