Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: some numbers on just how bad our D is

The 3rd downs are a huge problem but I disagree with the notion that those stats reflect how we are against the run. Many of those yards came against Buffalo when all we are concerned with is the passing game...

That said, the defense simply hasn't been good enough. At all. We won't be making the playoffs unless the defense plays top 8 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Soo in your opinion, who in the NFL is actually any good? I'm not picking a fight, but it just seems as you think pretty much everyone sucks.
    Defense wise? Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Seahawks, Cardinals. Any team that can get after the QB. That's how you win in the NFL, pressure on the QB.

Get a pass rusher.....don't play him. Get a young fast lb.....don't play him. We STILL have no viable OLB pass rusher at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Get a pass rusher.....don't play him. Get a young fast lb.....don't play him. We STILL have no viable OLB pass rusher at all.
    I understand not playing Davis but it's confusing with Coples... Coples has shown some things to like. We had 2 hits on the QB in the last game and one of them was Coples despite playing a handful of snaps.

Davis is fast but he's not thinking fast right now and it makes him appear slow... He shouldn't be playing yet.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    You do the whole all you want. This team is horrible on both sides of the ball.

On Offense we can't do the following: Run, catch, pass

On Defense we can't do the following: tackle, pressure the QB, get off the field on 3rd down.

Do we have a winning record at the moment? Sure we do. Talk to me in 4 weeks after we have run off 4 losses in a row.
    It'll be a miracle if we can stay in 1st place for more than a week.

That much is certain.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What chapter of the Tanny ...I did it my way book was this?

I don't need stats to tell me what my eyes see.

- They can't tackle.
    - 3rd down feels like an automatic conversion, no matter what the distance is.

It really is disappointing and ugly to watch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The defense has been disappointing, not happy with any phase of it so far. That said, does anybody really think that we'll finish with those rankings? Put your name on it

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    It'll be a miracle if we can stay in 1st place for more than a week.

That much is certain.
    Miracle?! It's a certainty, isn't it?

Hall Of Fame
    Not to mention we never get a stop when we need to.

If you look in the boxscore it looks like Pitt didn't run the ball well. Except for when they needed to. Crucial first downs and a TD run. And it looked like we defended the TE well that game too. Except for when we needed a stop on 3rd down and Big Ben connected with Miller with Bell covering.

The defense has always been a bully defense. But at least they used to be able to tackle. But the tackling has gotten worse each year and right now it is abysmal.

But this is all b.c we didn't have an off season.

Oh wait, that was last year.

This year we just suck.

Anyone remember when 3rd down used to be a death sentence for the opposing offense? Not anymore. I don't know what they are doing but it's been bad for 2 seasons now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The defense has been disappointing, not happy with any phase of it so far. That said, does anybody really think that we'll finish with those rankings? Put your name on it
    So where do you think we end up?

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I don't need stats to tell me what my eyes see.

- They can't tackle.
    - 3rd down feels like an automatic conversion, no matter what the distance is.

It really is disappointing and ugly to watch.
    when i watch the defense last year and this year i always feel like they're all waiting for another guy to make the play to get them off the field. for all rex's talk there's really no accountability on defense. on 3rd and short where's the guy who reads the play and flies in to make the ankle tackle? where's the instinctive play by a safety or lb to tip a ball away over the middle? where's the DL who breaks free from a block and gets a sack? everyone seems to be going through the motions, expecting someone else to get it done. i don't see the athleticim, i don't see passion on defense. i see robots. i actually see more passion on offense with sparano, especially when powell is in and greene is out. even when the offense flounders i still see more effort, just not the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    when i watch the defense last year and this year i always feel like they're all waiting for another guy to make the play to get them off the field. for all rex's talk there's really no accountability on defense. on 3rd and short where's the guy who reads the play and flies in to make the ankle tackle? where's the instinctive play by a safety or lb to tip a ball away over the middle? where's the DL who breaks free from a block and gets a sack? everyone seems to be going through the motions, expecting someone else to get it done. i don't see the athleticim, i don't see passion on defense. i see robots. i actually see more passion on offense with sparano, especially when powell is in and greene is out. even when the offense flounders i still see more effort, just not the talent.
    Good point. I don't know what it is but it's certainly not a "it's only week 3" excuse. It's a 2 year trend and it's ugly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I don't. I think this defense can still be very good, even without Revis.

The poor tackling has nothing to do with a lack of talent. That's a lack of discipline. It's a legitimate indictment of the coaches. A defense that doesn't tackle well means the coaches aren't stressing fundamentals.

The good news is that can be improved upon rather quickly.

The other issue, in my opinion, is the lack of scheming on the defensive side. In the past the defense has done very well (with much less talent, mind you) because Rex came up with schemes designed to confuse the offense. Different looks up front, disguised blitzes, etc. So far this season they've played very plain defense. I don't know why that is to be honest. Maybe they felt the talent up front is so good that they can do that. I have no idea.

Good point. I don't know what it is but it's certainly not a "it's only week 3" excuse. It's a 2 year trend and it's ugly.
    this is what happens when you have 2 kids and keep telling one that he/she's great and the other that he/she stinks. rex has told the defense since he arrived that they're the best so they take the field each week believing it, and sometimes they really don't feel the need to prove it. on the flip side he's all but ignored the offense and messed with sanchez's head so the offense has this inferiority complex - and doesn't get priority in getting premium draft picks - and this inferior mindset carries over to games. sparano is good for the offense if only b/c he's not the wuss schotty was and will help reinstill confidence that was lacking with the entire unit.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We are at home. That has to help. Last time we were home, we looked like the best team in the league.

Im still holding out hope that the defense becomes better without revis. Time to pull out the kitchen sink and really attack the qb. Get maybin, coples, ellis etc on the field at the same time.

We need to try everything to generate some kind of pass rush.
    +1

Could not agree more. A pass rush is the most important thing that needs to be addressed. If that doesn't improve I can't see how the record will.

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone remember when 3rd down used to be a death sentence for the opposing offense? Not anymore. I don't know what they are doing but it's been bad for 2 seasons now.
    It is only a death sentence for our offense.

IMO, we have sucked on third downs since Year 2. I think it started with the BAL game that year. Week 1.

this is what happens when you have 2 kids and keep telling one that he/she's great and the other that he/she stinks. rex has told the defense since he arrived that they're the best so they take the field each week believing it, and sometimes they really don't feel the need to prove it. on the flip side he's all but ignored the offense and messed with sanchez's head so the offense has this inferiority complex - and doesn't get priority in getting premium draft picks - and this inferior mindset carries over to games. sparano is good for the offense if only b/c he's not the wuss schotty was and will help reinstill confidence that was lacking with the entire unit.
    Gotta agree with this. I'm hoping Sparano can get it done. The offense has an excuse in my opinion, the defense does not. They've had consistency for 4 years now. Their problems come directly from having sh!tty players on the field. I've never seen a group of players that literally can't get off blocks at all, against anyone.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Landry... 4 days ago!