Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 49'ers D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

49'ers D

The 49's use a 3-4 defense and their best player is right defensive end Justin Smith

They 49ers are loaded with talent on the defensive side of the ball. They had the fourth best defense in the NFL in 2011, and after another year of the core group playing together, look for them to improve in 2012. They are also looking to prove to their fans and the league that they are a lot better than their loss to the Vikes last week.

San Francisco has, arguably, the best inside linebacker duo in the NFL with Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. Their ability to play all three downs gives the 49ers defense a dynamic unlike any team in the league. Both are sound tacklers and give the DC the confidence to be more aggressive in his play-calling although they don't blitz as much. They are great at stopping the run and can easily get pressure on the QB especially with teams with weak OL's. The Vikings countered this by having their QB roll right and left out of the pocket to get time to find open receivers.

Justin Smith and right outside linebacker Aldon Smith can both play the run well and are very good pass-rushers.

The Jet's are going to have to try and establish a running game while on offense to better set up the pass. If they can't get good yardage via runs it could be a long day for Sanchez unless he can roll out of the pocket to find time to hit receivers.

While there is a belief that the 49'er don't play well on the East coast (stats do support this) they are sure to be fired up after being embarressed by the Vikings last week. This is a team that very much is hungry for the Super Bowl and if they get it back on track I believe they are one of the 3 best teams in the NFC.

The game could come down to two critical factors:

1. The game plan: Can Sparano develop a game plan to help negate the rush of the niners. It won't be Tebow that's for sure.

2. Can the Jet's D rise to the challenge of losing THE best defensive corner in the league and show everyone that they belong on top of the AFC East?

The game will be on FOX at 1PM EST. Fasten your seat belts it should be a good game
    Last edited by rmeyer52; 09-27-2012 at 09:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up ... Very well thought out. One spelling error ... It's losing not loosing... Nit pick

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Nice write up ... Very well thought out. One spelling error ... It's losing not loosing... Nit pick
    Actually two, Sparano was spelled wrong too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Christian Ponder and the vikes offense beat them last week. They are good, but not some unstoppable force.

We should be able to move the ball enough to beat Alex Smith and there very average offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 49ers D is good...real good. However, they sell out wayy too much, and can't cover deep. The problem with the nfl is that there are few teams that play the screen game and the deep game effectively. We deff don't do that, but we have to try.

If we can take a few early shots down the field, and also call run draws and zone screens after letting the ends rush upfield, we'll be able to neutralize their strengths and at least give ourself a chance.

The other thing is that while SFs RunD is stout, it's nowhere near as impressive as their numbers show. People can and have run on them when they make a conscientious decision to do so. It just takes time, and that's something nfl teams don't have...so they stray from what's not working initially. Looking at SFs numbers, you'd see some variance between the yards/attempts and attempts/game of opposing teams. The 9ers can stuff the run early leading to low YPAs, but thats also because the APGs are so low. The teams that stay with the run (and keep the game close and playcalling unpredictable), have had success over the last 20 games of the 49ers resurgence in the NFL.

Moral of the story: Doing what was prescribed earlier with screens and deep throws would open up the run game, and if we can keep this close, Shonn will get the opportunity to run on a tired defense that's been on the field for every play, and has a propensity to give up succsessful running plays as the game matures.

That pass offense doesn't scare me one bit. Rex is good enough to know that QB pressure, jumping the first progression (or at least limiting it), and having an RB spy to cover the checkdown will get the job done here. Their running game does scare me though as our defense since last year has had trouble setting edges and containing speed backs on the perimeter. That is Gore's M O, and we have to protect our edges if we want to keep this close.

Lastly before anyone throws a hissy fit, I know it's easier said than done. But it needs to be said before it can be implemented, and I think if the Jets stick to this type of plan and don't over think things, then my prediction from before the season of the one upset in the league will come true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    The 49ers D is good...real good. However, they sell out wayy too much, and can't cover deep. The problem with the nfl is that there are few teams that play the screen game and the deep game effectively. We deff don't do that, but we have to try.

If we can take a few early shots down the field, and also call run draws and zone screens after letting the ends rush upfield, we'll be able to neutralize their strengths and at least give ourself a chance.

The other thing is that while SFs RunD is stout, it's nowhere near as impressive as their numbers show. People can and have run on them when they make a conscientious decision to do so. It just takes time, and that's something nfl teams don't have...so they stray from what's not working initially. Looking at SFs numbers, you'd see some variance between the yards/attempts and attempts/game of opposing teams. The 9ers can stuff the run early leading to low YPAs, but thats also because the APGs are so low. The teams that stay with the run (and keep the game close and playcalling unpredictable), have had success over the last 20 games of the 49ers resurgence in the NFL.

Moral of the story: Doing what was prescribed earlier with screens and deep throws would open up the run game, and if we can keep this close, Shonn will get the opportunity to run on a tired defense that's been on the field for every play, and has a propensity to give up succsessful running plays as the game matures.

That pass offense doesn't scare me one bit. Rex is good enough to know that QB pressure, jumping the first progression (or at least limiting it), and having an RB spy to cover the checkdown will get the job done here. Their running game does scare me though as our defense since last year has had trouble setting edges and containing speed backs on the perimeter. That is Gore's M O, and we have to protect our edges if we want to keep this close.

Lastly before anyone throws a hissy fit, I know it's easier said than done. But it needs to be said before it can be implemented, and I think if the Jets stick to this type of plan and don't over think things, then my prediction from before the season of the one upset in the league will come true.
    Excellent post. I guess I just want to see the Jets come out as motivated as they were for the first home game and take it to them. If they win however the media will surely say the 49's have problems rather than give the Jets kuods

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put the clown pictures up in the locker room again. Get these guys motivated rex.