Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Look at Sanchez's Struggles vs. Mia

Scenario 2 is a poor analysis. He's blaming Sanchez for not throwing to Kerley who is breaking open with the Safety headed towards Gates, but if you notice Sanchez is already in his throwing motion to Gates, which is why the S is headed away from Kerley and the CB on Kerley is breaking off.

As far as Sanchez not throwing receivers open, I agree he's not. But his receivers have been letting him down running poor routes, wrong routes, etc. It's hard to expect Sanchez to throw a blind ball to these guys given that any mistake by the receiver in the scanario given would result in a pick 6. Sanchez's biggest issue has been throwing the pick 6 and he would be the one taking the blame no matter what if it happened, so it's understandable that he's gun-shy to do so. Doesn't make it acceptable, just understandable.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm leaning in this direction too. I was a huge supporter of Sanchez but when you see the film broken down like this, it's hard to deny that something is missing.

i agree with you as once big supporter of Sanchez I am beginning to see that he does not have the instincts of an upper echelon QB. It is easy to say that he led us back against the Dolphins but look how many chances he had and if the Dolphins kick a field goal he has no chance. Top QB's find ways to hit wide open receivers and not choke when a TE is open in the end zone or know how to squeeze that extra second. I am done blaming the o-line and WR's I hope Sanchez can sway me back because the only way the Jets do anything this year is if he steps up and not just a baby step.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    The safety's job on that play is to read the QB. They read QB's eyes. That's why it's important for a QB to look off receivers, which ironically, is something that Sanchez doesn't really do well.

Like I said, there were plenty of things to criticize Sanchez for last week. But that one play wasn't one of them.
    Your second statement completely contradicts your first statement.

The mistake is he stared down his intended target. It would have been a perfect play if he looked off the safety and went to Kerley. Instead he looked the safety right into where he was going to throw the whole time.

In my opinion, the safety is already moving toward Gates before the throwing motion starts.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Ultimately...that article criticizeda Jets first down, and a play where the WR was 100% at fault...

And I hear Sanchez getting ripped for "not throwing his receivers open" ... yet we know that Holmes improvises on his own and Hill doesn't know the routes. So how is Sanchez supposed to throw his receivers open?? The only people he can do that with, in my opinion, are Keller and Kerley.
    I'm on board with everything you said, including the above post. On the Gates throw, he is trying to throw the WR open and Gates ran up instead of in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post

The mistake is he stared down his intended target. It would have been a perfect play if he looked off the safety and went to Kerley. Instead he looked the safety right into where he was going to throw the whole time.

In my opinion, the safety is already moving toward Gates before the throwing motion starts.
    He threw to single coverage. As bad as he is at staring guys down, he made the right read. The safety wasn't the reason for the pick. A competent receiver runs a tighter route and makes that catch for a first down.

That said, I do agree that if he was better at looking receivers off, he could have looked Gates off and gone to Kerley downfield. Doing things like that are what separates the best QBs from everyone else. Sanchez is what he is. A guy you can win with if you give him a running game, but nowhere near a superstar.

but the point that's been said elsewhere, but worded differently, is that if cotchery were running that route he would have stayed inside the db and caught the ball. sanchez is dealing with a bunch of wrs/tes who actually have less experience than he does now. only holmes has more. i think this is leading to more miscommunication, especially when sanchez throws to spots and the guys aren't getting to those spots.

All Pro
    He threw to single coverage. As bad as he is at staring guys down, he made the right read. The safety wasn't the reason for the pick. A competent receiver runs a tighter route and makes that catch for a first down.

That said, I do agree that if he was better at looking receivers off, he could have looked Gates off and gone to Kerley downfield. Doing things like that are what separates the best QBs from everyone else. Sanchez is what he is. A guy you can win with if you give him a running game, but nowhere near a superstar.
    Agreed. It would have been a nice completion if Gates made the proper adjustment. My point is Sanchez is not making the throws the great quarterbacks make.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    but the point that's been said elsewhere, but worded differently, is that if cotchery were running that route he would have stayed inside the db and caught the ball. sanchez is dealing with a bunch of wrs/tes who actually have less experience than he does now. only holmes has more. i think this is leading to more miscommunication, especially when sanchez throws to spots and the guys aren't getting to those spots.
    Fair enough, he's clearly not the only one to blame.

Obviously Tannenbaum and Rex went all in when they drafted Sanchez.
    Bad bet.

All League

Great post.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    This

Hit Schillens and Hill on two lay up throws, and we win that game easily, instead we rely on a kicker missing an 80% chance FG.
    Which Hill pass? Schillens was real bad (and unfortunately an all too common event), but he did hit Hill with a quasi-back shoulder throw in the end zone right before the first FG that should have undoubtedly been a TD.

And it was Cumberland wide open in the endzone that he overthrew, right? That should have been completed, but, considering the pressure he was under, I can at least understand why he miss fired there.

Sanchez was running for his life on most plays on Sunday. Put that on top of a rather anemic running game and he simply can't overcome that. Give him good protection? Sure, he'll find the open guy most of the time. But most QBs can say that.

You guys are pathetic. You give Brady this group of incompetent WRs, TEs & RBs & he'd be blue in the face screaming all day!
    The blame goes UPSTAIRS where Tanny constantly changes Sanchez WRs & they have zero chance of finding any continuity.
    Funny how the most experienced player out on the field had a GREAT DAY, one
    MR HOLMES.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    You guys are pathetic. You give Brady this group of incompetent WRs, TEs & RBs & he'd be blue in the face screaming all day!
    The blame goes UPSTAIRS where Tanny constantly changes Sanchez WRs & they have zero chance of finding any continuity.
    Funny how the most experienced player out on the field had a GREAT DAY, one
    MR HOLMES.
    Actually if you go through the thread most people agreed with you.

Practice Squad
    Agree to disagree.

In NFL terms, that is a wide open deep pass. The safety is already turned and running toward Gates before the ball leaves the quarterback's hands.

I'm not saying Sanchez is terrible, but he's leaving plays on the field, which has been the case with him from the very beginning. All quarterbacks do it, the key is to limit these incidents, and strike more often than not.

In this instance, a great quarterback looks off the receiver and hits Kerley for a touchdown. All the variables were perfect ... good protection, multiple receivers with single coverage and gaining separation. He made the worst decision possible.
    Sorry, I agree with JamaicaJet. The analysis in this article Sucks... The safety was closer to Kerley. If Sanchez had set his feet in the direction of Kerley and released the safety would have had an opportunity to undercut the pass. Sanchez made the correct move by going to Gates who is 100% at fault for the INT.

Saying the safety is favoring Gates after Sanchez set his feet and began to throw towards Gates is just plain stupid. Obviously, the safety will favor Kerley over no-name Gates! And if Gates runs the right route the ball is caught. Not so for Kerley, even if he runs the perfect route the safety might be there to make a play.

This is just stupid analysis designed to knock Sanchez who did nothing wrong with that read. If you want to knock Sanchez do it with the overthrows.

Jets Insider VIP
    How come people don't get this!!!!

Watched the 22 game tape (best investment ever! haha) myself and I have to agree with JamaicaJet.

On the play Sanchez looks off the safety to the right. He starts backpedaling to the right. Sanchez then looks to the left where Gates is running and let's him break off of his route. He then releases the ball in ANTICIPATION of where Gates will be. Gates rounds off his route allow the defender to be where his route SHOULD HAVE been.

Poor analysis by the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Watched the 22 game tape (best investment ever! haha) myself and I have to agree with JamaicaJet.

On the play Sanchez looks off the safety to the right. He starts backpedaling to the right. Sanchez then looks to the left where Gates is running and let's him break off of his route. He then releases the ball in ANTICIPATION of where Gates will be. Gates rounds off his route allow the defender to be where his route SHOULD HAVE been.

this is the problem when you have so many wrs/tes who dont' have experience and are not in synch with the qb. sanchez is throwing to spots but most of the guys don't know where to go half the time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post

Thanks for confirming.

The good news is that this should be less of an issue as the receivers get more comfortable with Sanchez. Getting Keller back would be huge

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    This

Hit Schillens and Hill on two lay up throws, and we win that game easily, instead we rely on a kicker missing an 80% chance FG.
    I feel like since the kicker missed a FG earlier in the game drops his next kick % in half.. I can't say that i predicted a miss, but I thought it was more like 50% to hit that game winning field goal.

I agree with this. Cotch had great consistency. We lack consistency from many positions. QB, Line play, WR, eh pretty much the whole offense.

Our linebackers are inconsistent. Wilson and Cromarti are inconsistent.

Miscommunication and inconsistency will lead to a bad QB rating.

I want to blast sanchez but I don't think I can. I think hes slowly turning the corner, but not getting any help from his team.

Think about Stafford as a rookie, he throws any ball within 9 yards of megatron and megatron catches it. WE HAVE NO ONE EVEN CLOSE TO THIS ON OUR TEAM.

That means if you have 3 wr sets, and you have to choose someone to throw to, there's a 33% shot that you'll complete the pass every play as long as you throw to megatron, regardless of route.

With our receivers on an open route, there is a 33% chance they catch the ball. Whether it is inconsistency from the WR, Sanchez, or miscommunication, there is no guarenteed plays for Sanchez. And it is embarrassing.

A few years back when the titans went on a nice run, kerry colins would throw every ball about 1 foot above the ground and the Titan WR would scoop every ball up, dive for every ball, etc. We have no one like that on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post

Thanks for confirming.

The good news is that this should be less of an issue as the receivers get more comfortable with Sanchez. Getting Keller back would be huge
    Haha no problem. It's a mixed back as far as the last game. There were some super easy throws that Sanchez needs to make that he was missing. But the problem here is that when he does make the perfect play he is not getting the upside that other QBs tend to get. Not harp on Kerley, cause I think the guy is a playmaker, but on that beautiful pass from Sanchez it would have been a touchdown with a more explosive player. The TD that Hill dropped in the endzone being another. All of a sudden you have a 3TD-1INT day and probably a somewhat better completion rate. If Sanchez makes the layup pass to Schillens or Hill doesn't pull up on his go route it's 4-1.

The FO must make more investments on the offense in terms of free agency and the draft. The defense will be fine as the young DL develops (and if they don't that is something you have to live with until you have made an equivocal investment in the offense).