Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Look at Sanchez's Struggles vs. Mia

What I would like to know from someone who has access to the all 22 is why Sanchez is holding the ball so long? He waits and waits until he's about to get blasted and makes a last second blind decision to throw it somewhere way too often. I'm a big supporter of his but that has to stop. Is it because the receivers are just covered?

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    What I would like to know from someone who has access to the all 22 is why Sanchez is holding the ball so long? He waits and waits until he's about to get blasted and makes a last second blind decision to throw it somewhere way too often. I'm a big supporter of his but that has to stop. Is it because the receivers are just covered?
    On it my friend give me a half hour and I'll get back to ya.

The more I look at Sanchez, the more I think he is lacking the arm strength to get it done. He can make all the throws, but he is hesitant to make some because his arm is average.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanalf17 View Post
    The more I look at Sanchez, the more I think he is lacking the arm strength to get it done. He can make all the throws, but he is hesitant to make some because his arm is average.
    I think that's way off. He's made plenty of throws that are on a rope. His arm strength is plenty sufficient, it's his accuracy that lacks.

Looks like the WR are covered in some cases. In other's he holding on to the ball and trying to wait for the play to develop when the pocket starts collapsing early (Howard was awful this game, hopefully he learns and gets better, rather than just continuing to slide). Honestly he made us think the OL played well but Howard was getting beat like a drum for a bunch of the game. Saw one bad throw so far to Holmes on a crossing route where Sanchez jumped up and threw the ball. Just really bad mechanics on that one. Kerley missed a nice throw and Hill dropped a handful of nice passes as well. Cumberland is extremely inconsistent, Reuland is the better choice IMHO. Greene... yea nothing new there he sucks and NEVER should be in on a third and long. Just bounces up and down in the same spot close to the defender. Doesn't try to get open.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch all four quarters, didn't have time so just got most of the first half and a little bit of the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Looks like the WR are covered in some cases. In other's he holding on to the ball and trying to wait for the play to develop when the pocket starts collapsing early (Howard was awful this game, hopefully he learns and gets better, rather than just continuing to slide). Honestly he made us think the OL played well but Howard was getting beat like a drum for a bunch of the game. Saw one bad throw so far to Holmes on a crossing route where Sanchez jumped up and threw the ball. Just really bad mechanics on that one. Kerley missed a nice throw and Hill dropped a handful of nice passes as well. Cumberland is extremely inconsistent, Reuland is the better choice IMHO. Greene... yea nothing new there he sucks and NEVER should be in on a third and long. Just bounces up and down in the same spot close to the defender. Doesn't try to get open.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch all four quarters, didn't have time so just got most of the first half and a little bit of the 2nd.
    I actually thought you were busting my chops when you said you were on it haha! Thanks man, I appreciate it! I remember the throw to Holmes, was behind him badly and Sanchez was jumping or something when he threw it. The OL looked alot more like the 2011 Jets than they did the last couple games. Alot of people are getting on Sparano but the truth is the players left a ton of yards on the field that are there for the taking.

I think that's way off. He's made plenty of throws that are on a rope. His arm strength is plenty sufficient, it's his accuracy that lacks.
    It's not that he can's make stick throws, its that he needs a perfectly clean pocket to do so. Guys like Rodgers/Flacco don't need to, and its part of the reason Sanchez will never be on that level.

I actually thought you were busting my chops when you said you were on it haha! Thanks man, I appreciate it! I remember the throw to Holmes, was behind him badly and Sanchez was jumping or something when he threw it. The OL looked alot more like the 2011 Jets than they did the last couple games. Alot of people are getting on Sparano but the truth is the players left a ton of yards on the field that are there for the taking.
    I mentioned it in another thread that if Sanchez hits the layup to Schillens, if Kerley takes it to the house on that perfectly thrown ball/Cumberland doesn't eff up his route, if Hill doesn't drop the easy TD pass in the endzone, we're talking about 4TD-1INT day for the offense. Even with the bad Sanchez miss to Chaz we are talkin 3TDs. Hell Gates ran the worst route I have seen in some time leading to the other pick. People will run into this thread screaming that I am making excuses, but when you watch the 22 tape you see the bigger picture. Sanchez can only do so much on certain plays. He tosses a picture perfect pass to where the receiver should be and b/c the WR was lazy the defender has taken his place. Nothing can be done on Sanchez's end about something like that.

I mentioned it in another thread that if Sanchez hits the layup to Schillens, if Kerley takes it to the house on that perfectly thrown ball/Cumberland doesn't eff up his route, if Hill doesn't drop the easy TD pass in the endzone, we're talking about 4TD-1INT day for the offense. Even with the bad Sanchez miss to Chaz we are talkin 3TDs. Hell Gates ran the worst route I have seen in some time leading to the other pick. People will run into this thread screaming that I am making excuses, but when you watch the 22 tape you see the bigger picture. Sanchez can only do so much on certain plays. He tosses a picture perfect pass to where the receiver should be and b/c the WR was lazy the defender has taken his place. Nothing can be done on Sanchez's end about something like that.
    the entire offense is out of synch and sanchez isn't the most accurate qb. the RT still has issues blocking and greene is the worst starting rb in the nfl.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the entire offense is out of synch and sanchez isn't the most accurate qb. the RT still has issues blocking and greene is the worst starting rb in the nfl.
    See I think Sanchez isn't all that inaccurate from what I am seeing. He might not be bullseye, but I would say he is definitely good enough to be putting up good numbers. A lot of times his incomplete passes stem from any number of things beyond his control (WR drops/bad routes, pocket implodes off the right side, legit good coverage). Here is the thing, when I was done watching the game Sunday I thought the same thing everyone else did. WTF is wrong with Sanchez, he is just not accurate, losing faith etc. But when I watch the 22 tape I can see the whole story. It's why I think it's been a godsend this season for geeks like me that actually wanna get to the bottom of what is going on with players/units.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I don't really agree-- if Sanchez were winding up to throw to Kerley instead, the safety would have been drifting in that direction (he's already closer to Kerley than he is to Gates) ... I think purely looking at the stills in this context can be misleading

Also..mentioning that Hill is open for the 4 yard gain is kind of silly...I want Sanchez attacking for the first down like he did-- shame on Gates for running an awful route

The breakdown of Sanchez's play could have criticized a lot of things...but criticizing the interception play is a little silly IMO
    Not only is it silly, it shows a woeful lack of understanding about how to play football. It's one thing to look at a still like this and critique things, it's another to understand how things work in that still from a first person perspective. Contrary to popular opinion, sometimes the "eye in the sky" DOES lie. Throwing from the far hash, across the blocking into the flat with a DB on the inside shoulder of a receiver is about as moronic a decision a QB could make, especially for someone as criticized as Sanchez has been for THAT VERY DECISION. It's an extremely dangerous throw that can easily result in a pick 6.

The case for the throw to Kerley is a bit more founded, but I can't say how much so. With Sanchez already having cocked the ball for a throw and stepped to the left, it could be that the deep safety is only just starting to move in that direction. Considering in the first still he is lined up in the middle of the field and in the second is running from the near hash mark with his back to the camera leads me to believe that he first cheated to his left because of the two receivers to that side. But again, I am only presuming as I don't have the full benefit of the game film. Still, it's a reasonable assumption for someone that understands football.

I appreciate the effort of the person who did the write-up, but I have to question their football acumen given what I have pointed out.

See I think Sanchez isn't all that inaccurate from what I am seeing. He might not be bullseye, but I would say he is definitely good enough to be putting up good numbers. A lot of times his incomplete passes stem from any number of things beyond his control (WR drops/bad routes, pocket implodes off the right side, legit good coverage). Here is the thing, when I was done watching the game Sunday I thought the same thing everyone else did. WTF is wrong with Sanchez, he is just not accurate, losing faith etc. But when I watch the 22 tape I can see the whole story. It's why I think it's been a godsend this season for geeks like me that actually wanna get to the bottom of what is going on with players/units.
    If I pay you, will you give me a recap on 22 tape from the whole game?

It's not that he can's make stick throws, its that he needs a perfectly clean pocket to do so. Guys like Rodgers/Flacco don't need to, and its part of the reason Sanchez will never be on that level.
    True on Sanchez, but NO on Flacco. That guy is just as bad if not worse than Sanchez under pressure. Dude is a fumble machine under pressure. He does have a rocket arm though.

basically besides holmes every other target is a training camp/PS guy and the rb can't catch. so what happens is sanchez holds the ball longer, waiting for guys to get open and inevitably the pocket collapses and he makes bad decisions. in the end it's on tanny and rex, in that order, for not providing the offense with enough viable targets and for deemphasizing the offense in the draft the past few years.

All Pro
    I get people in here arguing that our OFFENSIVE woes are a product of many individuals out there.

I don't get people in here arguing that Sanchez is a top level talent at QB...

No one else in the world thinks that. No one. No analyst. No fan. No scouts. No human beings on this planet - save a handful of Jets fans - think Mark Sanchez is anything more than average at best.

I saw that, the WR's definitely have left alot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    And there you have it in a nutshell.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    But he doesn't have anything to work with!!! Blah Blah Blah.
    Mark Sanchez makes me depressed when am watching jet games. I find my self not very excited anymore, all the hype of me watchng jet ball is gone. To make matters worse this season looks like its already over before it's started.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    Mark Sanchez makes me depressed when am watching jet games. I find my self not very excited anymore, all the hype of me watchng jet ball is gone. To make matters worse this season looks like its already over before it's started.
    the only times i get pumped watching the offense is when greene is on the sidelines. the 2nd half of the dolphin game was fun even though hill was out. they looked unpredictable and even with keller and hill out, i still thought they left too many points on the field. sanchez isn't a great qb but that team could easily have put up 30 on the phins with better wrs and powell playing the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    If I pay you, will you give me a recap on 22 tape from the whole game?
    Haha how much we talkin?

In all seriousness though I will probably start to break down the offense with a heavy emphasis on QB after my exam this Monday. Should have more free time on my hands after that. Massive sinus infection + huge med school exam = no time for anything let alone that. But after we beat the 49ers, I figure people will want analysis of stuff. Depending how long I end up needing for offense I will decide whether it's feasible for me to defense too lol

All League
    Here is a good detailed breakdown on the All-22 tape of two of Mark's mistakes. Found it interesting that he missed a TD opportunity in his INT.
    http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/09/jets-vs-dolphins-all-22-breakdown-looking-at-sanchez-poor-decision-making
    I didn't particularly agree with your breakdown. That interception was entirely the fault of Clyde Gates.

It's not as simple as just throwing to the open receiver. Sanchez has to go through his pre-snap reads and make a decision on which site of the field he wants to focus on before the snap. Sanchez also has to worry about the rush and also has to be able to get the throw over lineman much taller than him. It ain't Madden, you can't look in three places at once and throw across your body to the open receiver. You could break down any play like that for any QB on any team. EVERY QB misses open WR's multiple times a game.

Our team is sucking because our defense is playing like crap and we can't rush the football. Stop blaming Sanchez, it isn't as simple as that.