Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Look at Sanchez's Struggles vs. Mia

Good Look at Sanchez's Struggles vs. Mia

Here is a good detailed breakdown on the All-22 tape of two of Mark's mistakes. Found it interesting that he missed a TD opportunity in his INT.
    http://www.nyjetsdraft.com/2012/09/jets-vs-dolphins-all-22-breakdown-looking-at-sanchez-poor-decision-making

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    All that matters is this week.

All Pro
    I got a good article about Sanchez and his struggles. It's called ;

"WHO CARES"

This team is so done making excuses. If Sanchez is any good, he'll figure it out. Thus far, it's not been the case.

All Pro
    Nice breakdown.

This is a good illustration of why Sanchez is nothing more than a mediocre quarterback at this point of his career. He has the tools, but he's lacking instinct.

In the second example, the great and elite quarterbacks make the throw to Kerley for a huge play. Single coverage, safety running in the other direction, and your receiver is breaking free and gaining separation down the field. Instead he throws to where the safety is running ... and of all receivers ... Clyde Gates.

Bottom line, the game is still too fast for Sanchez, and he's not reading the coverage schemes correctly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Nice breakdown.

This is a good illustration of why Sanchez is nothing more than a mediocre quarterback at this point of his career. He has the tools, but he's lacking instinct.

In the second example, the great and elite quarterbacks make the throw to Kerley for a huge play. Single coverage, safety running in the other direction, and your receiver is breaking free and gaining separation down the field. Instead he throws to where the safety is running ... and of all receivers ... Clyde Gates.

Bottom line, the game is still too fast for Sanchez, and he's not reading the coverage schemes correctly.
    Unfortunately, I'm leaning in this direction too. I was a huge supporter of Sanchez but when you see the film broken down like this, it's hard to deny that something is missing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Btw, nice breakdown Ryan.

But he doesn't have anything to work with!!! Blah Blah Blah.

All League
    Nice breakdown.

I don't really agree-- if Sanchez were winding up to throw to Kerley instead, the safety would have been drifting in that direction (he's already closer to Kerley than he is to Gates) ... I think purely looking at the stills in this context can be misleading

Also..mentioning that Hill is open for the 4 yard gain is kind of silly...I want Sanchez attacking for the first down like he did-- shame on Gates for running an awful route

The breakdown of Sanchez's play could have criticized a lot of things...but criticizing the interception play is a little silly IMO

All League
    Ultimately...that article criticizeda Jets first down, and a play where the WR was 100% at fault...

And I hear Sanchez getting ripped for "not throwing his receivers open" ... yet we know that Holmes improvises on his own and Hill doesn't know the routes. So how is Sanchez supposed to throw his receivers open?? The only people he can do that with, in my opinion, are Keller and Kerley.

Dunno how much we need to break it down. He missed a ton of big plays where he was just inaccurate.

He hits those throws and we are putting up a good amount of points.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Dunno how much we need to break it down. He missed a ton of big plays where he was just inaccurate.

He hits those throws and we are putting up a good amount of points.
    This

Hit Schillens and Hill on two lay up throws, and we win that game easily, instead we rely on a kicker missing an 80% chance FG.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I don't really agree-- if Sanchez were winding up to throw to Kerley instead, the safety would have been drifting in that direction (he's already closer to Kerley than he is to Gates) ... I think purely looking at the stills in this context can be misleading

The breakdown of Sanchez's play could have criticized a lot of things...but criticizing the interception play is a little silly IMO
    Agree to disagree.

In NFL terms, that is a wide open deep pass. The safety is already turned and running toward Gates before the ball leaves the quarterback's hands.

I'm not saying Sanchez is terrible, but he's leaving plays on the field, which has been the case with him from the very beginning. All quarterbacks do it, the key is to limit these incidents, and strike more often than not.

In this instance, a great quarterback looks off the receiver and hits Kerley for a touchdown. All the variables were perfect ... good protection, multiple receivers with single coverage and gaining separation. He made the worst decision possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    He is what he is. A streaky, average qb. Nothing more.

I see us drafted a qb early this year, Sanchez will get the nod next year and will eventually be replaced by said rookie.

All League

Also..mentioning that Hill is open for the 4 yard gain is kind of silly...I want Sanchez attacking for the first down like he did-- shame on Gates for running an awful route

+1

On the Gates INT, Sanchez has already started his throwing motion in the snap shot. Kerley as well as being the inside receiver, is even and leaving his defender, but the Safety is on his side hash and over the top. The only thing that would have opened up Kerley is a pump.

He made the right read, it was a terrible route.

Banned
    Agree to disagree.

In NFL terms, that is a wide open deep pass. The safety is already turned and running toward Gates before the ball leaves the quarterback's hands.

I'm not saying Sanchez is terrible, but he's leaving plays on the field, which has been the case with him from the very beginning. All quarterbacks do it, the key is to limit these incidents, and strike more often than not.

In this instance, a great quarterback looks off the receiver and hits Kerley for a touchdown. All the variables were perfect ... good protection, multiple receivers with single coverage and gaining separation. He made the worst decision possible.
    Actually the safety is headed Gates' way because Sanchez is already winding up to throw to him. Look at Sanchez in that photo:

If the Safety is sitting there, reacting to Sanchez, then he has a much better shot at breaking up a pass to Kerley.

Not making any excuses for Sanchez's play last week. He didn't play well. But the result of that play had nothing to do with Sanchez's decision-making. He threw it to the right guy. The problem was that guy can't run a route to save his life.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    This

Hit Schillens and Hill on two lay up throws, and we win that game easily, instead we rely on a kicker missing an 80% chance FG.
    As well as the throw to Holmes in Pitt.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Actually the safety is headed Gates' way because Sanchez is already winding up to throw to him. Look at Sanchez in that photo:

If the Safety is sitting there, reacting to Sanchez, then he has a much better shot at breaking up a pass to Kerley.

Not making any excuses for Sanchez's play last week. He didn't play well. But the result of that play had nothing to do with Sanchez's decision-making. He threw it to the right guy. The problem was that guy can't run a route to save his life.
    At that point in the windup, we are talking about a fraction of a second, and the safety is already turned and taking strides in that direction. We would have to see the full video, but I would put my money on the safety turning and running toward Gates based on where Sanchez is looking and before the wind up starts.

All League
    Charter JI Member

A couple of things.

One - I agree with you 100% on the breakdown of the Gates INT.

In the first picture, you see the single high safety cheating over to the Jets offensive right, where Hill and Kerely are lined up. Sanchez's pre-snap read on this play is that Gates is one-on-one with the CB whereas Hill has single coverage on the outside but Kerely is, pre-snap, going to be bracketed by the CB and the S.

The easy read there is to throw the ball to Gates in single coverage.

In the second picture, Sanchez already has the ball, has already looked toward Gates and is in the process of throwing. Of course the safety is adjusting towards Gates during the throw, yet he has no chance of breaking up the pass because he is still on the other hash, 12 yards deeper then Gates. If Gates runs a clean route its a good chance of being a completion. In this play, Sanchez makes the RIGHT decision.

Watch the highlight - the Safety isn't anywhere near the pass when it gets to Gates and the CB. He is a NON-FACTOR in this play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201209...yze=playbyplay

Second - The OP criticizes Sanchez for not throwing the WRs open....but...on this play, this is exactly what Sanchez was trying to do. Sanchez's problem on this play is that he threw to a spot, expecting the WR to be open at that spot....but Gates ran a crappy a$$ route and then made no effort to adjust to the ball.
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 09-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Banned
    At that point in the windup, we are talking about a fraction of a second, and the safety is already turned and taking strides in that direction. We would have to see the full video, but I would put my money on the safety turning and running toward Gates based on where Sanchez is looking and before the wind up starts.
    The safety's job on that play is to read the QB. They read QB's eyes. That's why it's important for a QB to look off receivers, which ironically, is something that Sanchez doesn't really do well. By the time Sanchez starts his throwing motion, safeties are already making their move based on where he's looking.

Like I said, there were plenty of things to criticize Sanchez for last week. But that one play wasn't one of them.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 09-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    He is what he is. A streaky, average qb. Nothing more.
    I was at the Miami game, with excellent seats, upper level, 2nd row, around the 25 yard line. We were literally right next to the CBS cameraman.

In other words, perfect posiion to see many plays develop right in front of me. I was surrounded by dozens of Fins season ticket holders, as this was also on the "Home" side.

All game, I had to hear them jeering Sanchez. "Yay Sanchez, you are our best hope." I could not respond much, as simple dumpoffs and slants fell 4 and 5 feet from the intended receiver.

I've been a big Mark and Jets supporter. I want him to do well. But my wife, who knows little about football, is constantly asking...

How come we can't do stuff like the other team does? Why did Sanchez throw it there?

Not to mention:

Why did that #23 guy run right into the other guy? How come he can't run around those other guys?

It gets a little frustrating!