Thread: Grantland article shocker: Mark Sanchez is an average regular season QB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Grantland article shocker: Mark Sanchez is an average regular season QB

"The other quarterback who got heaps of credit for being a winner under similar circumstances was Mark Sanchez, but his situation was different. Sanchez enjoyed a similarly brilliant running game and defense under Rex Ryan in New York, but what put Sanchez over the top wasn't his cumulative win totals; it was his playoff performances. Never mind that the 2009 Jets made it to the AFC Championship game while riding an incredible streak of five consecutive missed field goals in the playoffs, a random act that comes through town about once every 5,000 tries. Until the Jets collapsed and missed the playoffs last year, Sanchez's reputation as a winner was golden.

The problem with that is that Sanchez really hasn't won very much more than you might expect. From 2009 to 2011, Sanchez's Jets went 27-20 during his regular-season starts. Over that time frame, an average quarterback with the same points-allowed profile would have won 26.3 games. Given a dominant defense, Sanchez has held serve during the regular season before raising his game and playing more efficiently during the postseason.
    "

The article in question was actually about how mediocre Joe Flacco is but I saw this snippet on Mark and figured I would throw it out here. The silver lining to this is how even Barnwell notes that Mark steps it up in the playoffs so heres hoping to wild card and a deep playoff run.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-their-defense

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He also credits Sanchez for raising his game in the playoffs -- I think Barnwell overstates our run game though. It was good in 2009. It was not anything special in 2010/2011

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Sanchez enjoyed a similarly brilliant running game"

Really? The Jets have had a brilliant running game in the sanchez era?

Sure the Thomas Jones year was very solid (he had a whopping 4.2 ypc), but brilliant running games would include players like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, not Thomas Jones/Shonn Greene. Greene average 4.2 ypc last year as well, i assume they considered that a Brilliant year for Greene. But hey, its super fun to knock Sanchez these days so why not call the Jets rushing attack "Brilliant"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of a kick in the ballls article to Flacco who is clearly enjoying his best season as a passer. Doesn't seem like the best time to start discussing his performances from his first couple years when he is so improved right now.

As for the comment on Sanchez? It's pretty fair. Any average QB would have enjoyed the success he had in 2009 and 2010 given our D and running games were elite. His playoff performances are his one thing he can point to where he stepped it up and separated himself.

Interesting point on how Ryan has elevated his team beyond their expected win total, he has been a very good regular season QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Sure the Thomas Jones year was very solid (he had a whopping 4.2 ypc), but brilliant running games would include players like Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, not Thomas Jones/Shonn Greene. Greene average 4.2 ypc last year as well, i assume they considered that a Brilliant year for Greene. But hey, its super fun to knock Sanchez these days so why not call the Jets rushing attack "Brilliant"?
    You do realize we were ranked #1 in the NFL in rushing yards per game in 2009 and #4 in 2010. We ran the ball very well those years, our passing game was very mediocre both seasons. Think what you want...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets Played in the NFC West or the AFC South this could be alright

But the Jets play in the same division as Tom Brady, average won't cut it if we want some home playoff games

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

Sure it's great when you've got one RB who's a stud. But the key is having good numbers when you combine everybody.

2009 - #1 rushing team in the NFL
    2010 - #4

I'd say that's pretty good support at the start of his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You do realize we were ranked #1 in the NFL in rushing yards per game in 2009 and #4 in 2010. We ran the ball very well those years, our passing game was very mediocre both seasons. Think what you want...
    First of all, YPC is more indicative of ability than YPG.

Even if you want to credit 2010 as a good run year--- 2011 the Jets averaged 3.8 YPC... 3rd WORST in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    First of all, YPC is more indicative of ability than YPG.

Even if you want to credit 2010 as a good run year--- 2011 the Jets averaged 3.8 YPC... 3rd WORST in the NFL.
    High YPC could also be indicative of a team that runs infrequently but runs out of passing formations and tricks the D. In 2009 and 2010 opponents knew the Jets were going to run the ball a lot and we still did it effectively. It was impressive.

Last year run game took a step back and we missed the playoffs. This year it's even worse, can Sanchez carry the team is the question?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    "The other quarterback who got heaps of credit for being a winner under similar circumstances was Mark Sanchez, but his situation was different. Sanchez enjoyed a similarly brilliant running game and defense under Rex Ryan in New York, but what put Sanchez over the top wasn't his cumulative win totals; it was his playoff performances. Never mind that the 2009 Jets made it to the AFC Championship game while riding an incredible streak of five consecutive missed field goals in the playoffs, a random act that comes through town about once every 5,000 tries. Until the Jets collapsed and missed the playoffs last year, Sanchez's reputation as a winner was golden.

The problem with that is that Sanchez really hasn't won very much more than you might expect. From 2009 to 2011, Sanchez's Jets went 27-20 during his regular-season starts. Over that time frame, an average quarterback with the same points-allowed profile would have won 26.3 games. Given a dominant defense, Sanchez has held serve during the regular season before raising his game and playing more efficiently during the postseason.
    "

The article in question was actually about how mediocre Joe Flacco is but I saw this snippet on Mark and figured I would throw it out here. The silver lining to this is how even Barnwell notes that Mark steps it up in the playoffs so heres hoping to wild card and a deep playoff run.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-their-defense
    So Sanchez, as one of the youngest starting QB's ever starting his first 2 year, managed to be average during that time? I'd say that's being ahead of the game if you ask me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You do realize we were the only team with 600 carries in 2009 and had 80 more carries than any other team in the league?

You do realize that we were 6th in YPC?

You still think our running game was "brilliant"?

If someone wants to say we had a very solid running game, i would agree, but brilliant?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Sure it's great when you've got one RB who's a stud. But the key is having good numbers when you combine everybody.

2009 - #1 rushing team in the NFL
    2010 - #4

I'd say that's pretty good support at the start of his career.
    Many of you had trouble with reading comprehension when you were younger. No one said he didn't have "pretty good support" i questioned the use of the term "brilliant"? Again, do you think the Jets running attack was brilliant? if so, how would you describe the running attacks of current NFL players in their prime like A-Pete (pre-surgery), arian foster, Ray rice, MJD, Mccoy? Those guys are brilliant. Thomas Jones was a workhouse.