Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do The Jets Do Well???

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But because we won courtesy of the other kicker missing FG's and their coach negating a blocked FG....., all sunshine and unicorns!
    oh yes, nothing like taking a look at teh Strip to lighten your day.

All Pro
    I can feel the tension in the air is about to blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    But because we won courtesy of the other kicker missing FG's and their coach negating a blocked FG....., all sunshine and unicorns!
    Regression to the mean.

Do me a favor, and tell me how many FGs opposing kickers missed against the Jets last year?

They let opponents convert every 3rd down opportunity very well. Best in the league I think.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    One of the koolaid club posted one of our strengths as "Punt protection".
    ha ... punt protection. We're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Tebow won that coin toss.
    lmao

awesome

I think since Sanchez has been here one thing we've done pretty well is play from behind

problem is we're often getting behind too early

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EZV View Post
    I think since Sanchez has been here one thing we've done pretty well is play from behind

problem is we're often getting behind too early
    If we can wait to get behind until the two minute warning, he can run his two minute drill to win it.

Make it so, Tanzy.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Vilma4Prez View Post
    going 3 and out with predictable playcalling (run, run, incomplete pass, punt)
    You mean incomplete pass that would have resulted in being 3 yards short of a first down if it would have been caught.

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    You mean incomplete pass that would have resulted in being 3 yards short of a first down if it would have been caught.
    I honestly don't think that's been a problem this year.

still a lot of missed throws and drops, but we're attacking downfield.

If "special teams" is still the answer five weeks from now, it will be time to hit the draft board.

Let's see what the team looks like after we get more Keller, Powell and Coples. All three have the potential to add a dimension that's currently missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    I honestly don't think that's been a problem this year.

still a lot of missed throws and drops, but we're attacking downfield.
    +1

The plays aren't connecting, but the right calls and opportunities are there. Execution is all on the players...Sparano should not be taking any heat (yet).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Punt

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Regression to the mean.

Do me a favor, and tell me how many FGs opposing kickers missed against the Jets last year?
    It all depends on how you look at wins or losses, or more importantly the coaches and management. You have to be totally realistic in your performance and not gloss over a terrible performance just because you got the W. If you do this you ignore problems on the team, fail to correct them or get better and sooner or later pay the price when the chips are down. (See the Jets gassing the last games last year to miss the playoffs.) They ignored the safety problem, they ignored the RT problem because hey, they were 8-5.

Not all wins are created equal and a smart prudent coach and front office realizes this. The lousy coaches and front offices pat each other on the back for the win and just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    meh, around here wins are worthless, its how you look while you play and what you say to the media that counts.
    It's all about predicting the future. If one thinks that our 2-1 record will translate into 10-5 late in the season, then all is well. I think about 99.9 % of JI would be happy with that outcome. But poor play offensively and defensively for most of the season so far suggests the team will not win nearly that many games. And that's the source of the pessimism around here.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    It's all about predicting the future. If one thinks that our 2-1 record will translate into 10-5 late in the season, then all is well. I think about 99.9 % of JI would be happy with that outcome. But poor play offensively and defensively for most of the season so far suggests the team will not win nearly that many games. And that's the source of the pessimism around here.
    Well said as usual. There were plenty of people calling Buffalo a fraud even after their 5-2 start last year. Why was that okay, but it's not okay to be concerned about the 2-1 start for a team that just barely escaped a 1-2 start?

If the Jets lost to Pitt 27-23 and then beat the Fins 34-14, I think you'd see a lot less pessimism. It's how those games transpired that limits the excitement about a winning record.

Then there's the fact that there's no answer to the original question other than special teams...

The answer is and has been special teams for the last two years. We used to be great at stopping the run, but that seems to have gone right out the window so far this year. We stopped the Steelers from running, but Mendenhall is out and Dwyer and Redmond haven't been able to get yards on anyone so far.

All Pro
    make me drink

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    In your opinion, what does this team do well?

(Flood Gates Open)
    the jets are great at running mouths, and predicting SB's. but the best thing the jets are good at, is being a losing franchise for the past 40+ yrs.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets are great at running mouths, and predicting SB's. but the best thing the jets are good at, is being a losing franchise for the past 40+ yrs.
    Its national beer day Dan. Have a few on my PayPal account. Meet friends, love family, be jolly.