Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cromartie says he's now the NFL's top cornerback

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    If he sees this as an opportunity to shine then I welcome his bravado. If he is saying it because he thinks his $#it doesn't stink then we may have a problem.
    THIS.

Could care less about him thinking that he is the best in the NFL. I want my guy to have that confidence. As long as he dedicates himself to play like it. He should have the blueprint to do it already, he played opposite the best in the business for over 2 seasons now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex inspires this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    idiot
    Why? He knows he's got excellent safety play backing him up. If he was a Top 5 guy on the Buccaneers and popped off...welll...

my 2 cents

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    I like this attitude, shows he's wants to step up. I don't believe it but glad he to hear he's thinking that way.....

Antonio Cromartie's mouth, six one-syllable affirmations that Darrelle Revis' season-ending knee injury didn't change this fact, in his mind: The Jets still have the best cornerback in the NFL. It's Cromartie. With Revis Island closed for business for the rest of the season, Cromartie told the Daily News Thursday that he is now the best in the business at his position. How many cornerbacks other than Revis are better than him? "None." You're saying you're the second-best corner in the NFL? "Yup." Really? "Yup." You believe that? "Yup." You're better than Nnamdi (Asomugha)? "Yup." Were you better than Nnamdi two years ago? "Yup

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...&sct=hp_bf2_a4
    Now with Revis out, he will be seeing the other team number 1 Wr, not their number 2. Big difference. Lets see if he can live up to his own expectations. Nothing wrong with a guy having confidence in his own ability.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Why? He knows he's got excellent safety play backing him up. If he was a Top 5 guy on the Buccaneers and popped off...welll...

my 2 cents
    My problem with all of this is this.

How often do we hear players from other teams telling the media that they are the best at their position?

Name one.

To me, this is simply another byproduct of the Rex Ryan filterless verbalization system.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

How often do we hear players from other teams telling the media that they are the best at their position?

Name one.

To me, this is simply another byproduct of the Rex Ryan filterless verbalization system.
    Elli Manning/Joe Flacco and every CB in the World thinks they are the best. You don't hear it because you don't live in other towns.

Raymond Felton has said he is the best PG and paul pierce has said he was the best player in the league. Most elite players when asked if they are the best, will say yes. Its that ego/confidence that got them to the top.

But once again, SOJF think this is the reason why we are 2-1 and not 3-0.

"If only we were less confident we would win more games." -Jordy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro is part of a group of about 6-8 CBs that are after Revis. Waaaaaay after Revis, but after Revis. A case could be made for any of them to be #2 after Revis. Asomugha hasn't been Asomugha since he left the Raiders.
    Last edited by Zombo; 09-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Name one.

Yes, CRO is very unique. That's why he's arguably the best corner today.

Besides, he knows SF and the rest are gunning for him. He's letting the QB's know the windows will still be very tight; which will keep them up worrying and hopefully pressing on game day. It always works against Philip Rivers.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 09-28-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK Cro. Go out and prove it!!!!

You have all the physical gifts to be the best. It is time for the mind and body to come together.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Elli Manning/Joe Flacco and every CB in the World thinks they are the best. You don't hear it because you don't live in other towns.

Raymond Felton has said he is the best PG and paul pierce has said he was the best player in the league. Most elite players when asked if they are the best, will say yes. Its that ego/confidence that got them to the top.

But once again, SOJF think this is the reason why we are 2-1 and not 3-0.

"If only we were less confident we would win more games." -Jordy
    Excuse me. I believe statements to the media are readily available. We have this thing called the internetz.

Please. Instead of putting down another poster for making a valid comment, how about showing me a statement made by another player to the media (which is what I said) stating that they are the best at their position. And I believe we are talking about the NFL. I don't follow basketball or really care about basketball.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Yes, CRO is very unique. That's why he's arguably the best corner today.

Besides, he knows SF and the rest are gunning for him. He's letting the QB's know the windows will still be very tight; which will keep them up worrying and hopefully pressing on game day. It always works against Philip Rivers.
    And I don't think he is. By a longshot. Is he good? Yes. The best now that Revis is out? No.

The best corner in the NFL would not have made a bone-headed play like he did in the end zone against the Steelers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie would be the #1 CB on most teams

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Cro is part of a group of about 6-8 CBs that are after Revis. Waaaaaay after Revis, but after Revis. A case could be made for any of them to be #2 after Revis. Asomugha hasn't been Asomugha since he left the Raiders.
    For argument's sake, let's just say this is true (I actually believe it is). That would mean that all we need from the other side is for someone to perform like a mid-range #2 CB to have what would be deemed a "normal" secondary.

That tells me that any ongoing issues with this defense would have likely persisted whether or not Revis was in the lineup. Sure, there's a domino effect when you lose a superstar, but if the next man up is also top-10/15 at the position, your overall team should not completely lose competitiveness.

This season has and will continue to boil down to whether or not the front 7 can stuff the run / cover TEs & RBs, and (more importantly) whether Sanchez and the offense get it together. Two things that the presence of Revis has less impact on one way or the other.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    IMO Patrick Peterson is the best in the business....up there with Revis

Other than that, Cro is right there with all the rest
    I'd rank Jonathan Joseph, Joe Haden, & Brandon Flowers above Peterson

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he is the best run-in-a-straight-line-cornerback. Pretty good hand too. Assuming he is not quitting on a play in the end zone that is.

The problem with Cro is when the receiver changes direction and on a day where the referees are calling holding on the defense. On those days he is very far indeed from the best CB in the league.

He is a very potent CB however.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse me. I believe statements to the media are readily available. We have this thing called the internetz.

Please. Instead of putting down another poster for making a valid comment, how about showing me a statement made by another player to the media (which is what I said) stating that they are the best at their position. And I believe we are talking about the NFL. I don't follow basketball or really care about basketball.
    Since you have been living under a rock:
    The Ravens' signal-caller didn't blush during a Monday interview on WNST-AM when asked if his agent was right to call him a top-five quarterback in the NFL.
    "Without a doubt. What do you expect me to say?" Flacco said (via SportsRadioInterviews.com). "I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback. I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Since you have been living under a rock:
    The Ravens' signal-caller didn't blush during a Monday interview on WNST-AM when asked if his agent was right to call him a top-five quarterback in the NFL.
    "Without a doubt. What do you expect me to say?" Flacco said (via SportsRadioInterviews.com). "I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback. I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way."
    Yeah I've heard several guys say that. It's exactly what he said "what do you want me to say?" Now obviously Cro is probably yelling it out of his car instead of just answering a question, but....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best Corner in the league wouldn't have given up that prayer to Wallace, and wouldn't have gotten burned by Hartline double-move to all but lose te game vs. Miami.

I can think of at least 10CBs I'd rather have than Cro, an there are prolly another 10 that aren't as good as him but Is take over home because I can't stand watching his horrendous tackling. He now thinks he's a big hitter, so he only goes in with his shoulder now, and doesn't wrap up at all. Cortland Finnegan would have been perfect for this team. I wish we let Cro walk last year and signed Finnegan this offseason.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And I don't think he is. By a longshot. Is he good? Yes. The best now that Revis is out? No.

The best corner in the NFL would not have made a bone-headed play like he did in the end zone against the Steelers.
    ohferchrissakes; it's all subjective; it's ****ing entertainment.

I like Cro's chances against any QB, play by play. With Rex tightening the screws throughout the game, and Landry always breathing down guys necks, Cro is a dangerous playmaker that can change things; therefore, he can say whatever the F he wants; case closed. To me, he's ****ing Al Toon going the wrong way.

btw, still trying to figure out if someone is break your balls about being a Jets fan, but you sure are sensitive here. :

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Yeah I've heard several guys say that. It's exactly what he said "what do you want me to say?" Now obviously Cro is probably yelling it out of his car instead of just answering a question, but....
    Actually his response was in OP and it did not come off as cocky at all:
    How many cornerbacks other than Revis are better than him? "None." You're saying you're the second-best corner in the NFL? "Yup." Really? "Yup." You believe that? "Yup." You're better than Nnamdi (Asomugha)? "Yup." Were you better than Nnamdi two years ago? "Yup."