Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 49's rely on short passes

  1. #1

    49's rely on short passes

    Smith’s reliance on short and intermediate routes this season has been largely effective. He ranks seventh in the NFL in passer rating (102.7) and has completed 77.4 percent of his passes (41-for-53) when targeting his wideouts. He’s embraced a take-what-the-defense-offers approach under Jim Harbaugh and has avoided taking risky chances downfield, which helps explain his franchise-record streak of 249 passes without an interception.

    In other news...With nose guard Isaac Sopoaga (knee, ankle) sitting out his second straight practice today, it appears Jean Francois will make his third career start Sunday when the 49ers visit the Jets.

    A seventh-round pick in 2009, Jean Francois, 25, made both his starts last year, filling for Sopoaga at nose guard in a win over Tampa Bay and subbing for Ray McDonald at tackle in a victory over the Redskins.

    Jean Francois had 11 tackles in those games and the 49ers allowed an average of 69.9 rushing yards a game and 3.6 yards a carry.

    While there has been a lot of talk about West coast teams traveling to the East coast the 49'ers have stayed in Ohio all week to work on their offense even during a substantial rainstorm yesterday.

    I don't believe we are going to see many deep passes at all from the niners. I believe you'll see a lot of inside crossing routes and passes to their TE after they establish the running game on a team that is having problems stopping the run. The Jets do have an opportunity here but they are going to have to come out like they did against Buffalo to get SF off their game. If the 49'ers are able to run the ball well it's going to be a long long day

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Smith’s reliance on short and intermediate routes this season has been largely effective. He ranks seventh in the NFL in passer rating (102.7) and has completed 77.4 percent of his passes (41-for-53) when targeting his wideouts. He’s embraced a take-what-the-defense-offers approach under Jim Harbaugh and has avoided taking risky chances downfield, which helps explain his franchise-record streak of 249 passes without an interception.

    In other news...With nose guard Isaac Sopoaga (knee, ankle) sitting out his second straight practice today, it appears Jean Francois will make his third career start Sunday when the 49ers visit the Jets.

    A seventh-round pick in 2009, Jean Francois, 25, made both his starts last year, filling for Sopoaga at nose guard in a win over Tampa Bay and subbing for Ray McDonald at tackle in a victory over the Redskins.

    Jean Francois had 11 tackles in those games and the 49ers allowed an average of 69.9 rushing yards a game and 3.6 yards a carry.

    While there has been a lot of talk about West coast teams traveling to the East coast the 49'ers have stayed in Ohio all week to work on their offense even during a substantial rainstorm yesterday.

    I don't believe we are going to see many deep passes at all from the niners. I believe you'll see a lot of inside crossing routes and passes to their TE after they establish the running game on a team that is having problems stopping the run. The Jets do have an opportunity here but they are going to have to come out like they did against Buffalo to get SF off their game. If the 49'ers are able to run the ball well it's going to be a long long day
    It's going to take an all around team effort - much like the Buffalo game, but the Jets can win this game. The defense really needs get it together and shut down the running game of the 49'ers, if they can do that, we have a good chance.

    Edit: I will say this - which I also said last week, I think Rex should start activating Damon Harrison and use him in a rotation on the nose with Pouha & Ellis to try and keep the D-line fresher vs the run.

    I also think having Bryan Thomas back will help the run defense.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-28-2012 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,352
    It seems a lot of people are conceding this game or even saying it will be a blow out in favor of the 49'ers. I believ the Jets defense will rise to the challenge, stop the run and really get after the QB. with the Sf nose tackle out and a couple of other injuries plus some recent bashing of Shawn Greene, I think he will pick it up and rise to the occassion.

  4. #4
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,712
    Hmm, an emphasis on running and short passing. Good thing our linebacker corps is top-notch.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Hmm, an emphasis on running and short passing. Good thing our linebacker corps is top-notch.
    Bryan Thomas's return should help the run defense.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,381
    Short passes, that makes both of us.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Hmm, an emphasis on running and short passing. Good thing our linebacker corps is top-notch.
    Sarcasm I see ...

  8. #8
    That's great, the Jets can cover passes.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    S

    In other news...With nose guard Isaac Sopoaga (knee, ankle) sitting out his second straight practice today, it appears Jean Francois will make his third career start Sunday when the 49ers visit the Jets.

    A seventh-round pick in 2009, Jean Francois, 25, made both his starts last year, filling for Sopoaga at nose guard in a win over Tampa Bay and subbing for Ray McDonald at tackle in a victory over the Redskins.

    Jean Francois had 11 tackles in those games and the 49ers allowed an average of 69.9 rushing yards a game and 3.6 yards a carry.
    Jean Francois? JEAN FRANCOIS? In FOOTBALL?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,366
    Tell us how the Jets are covering Vernon Davis... if they have an answer.. there's the ballgame

  11. #11
    Well....thank God they don't run. We can't stop the run.

  12. #12
    I expect the Jets to play ALOT of cover 2 in the game we have some of the pieces in place, The problem is we dont have a LB that can cover sideline to sideline....If I were Rex I would go

    DE-Wilk
    DT-Pouha
    DT-Ellis
    DE-Coples

    SLB-Harris
    MLB-Davis for his speed
    WLB-Pace

    CB- Cro
    CB-Wilson
    FS- Landry
    SS-Bell


    Get Bart Scott off the field the only thing he does is Injure his own players..

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Tell us how the Jets are covering Vernon Davis... if they have an answer.. there's the ballgame
    That's a big problem with Revis out, the way they use him as a physical deep threat. I expect Landry and Bell to play a more active role. A speedy linebacker like Davis would help a lot as well

  14. #14
    our lbs are going to be busy. i see davis getting increased reps on sunday.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    It's going to take an all around team effort - much like the Buffalo game, but the Jets can win this game. The defense really needs get it together and shut down the running game of the 49'ers, if they can do that, we have a good chance.

    Edit: I will say this - which I also said last week, I think Rex should start activating Damon Harrison and use him in a rotation on the nose with Pouha & Ellis to try and keep the D-line fresher vs the run.

    I also think having Bryan Thomas back will help the run defense.
    I'm hoping with another week to heal, and being at home will help Pouha get back to his old self. Otherwise we need to play more Ellis, or both of them together. Harris has been a disappointment so far. Hope he gets back as well. Bryan Thomas will allow Pace to go back to his usual side, and maybe spend more time with his hand in the dirt. Bart Scott has been surprisingly good in coverage. I think he'll be hitting Davis at the line. Maybe our secret weapon is McKnight. This new big athletic TE trend has a left a lot of teams with no answers. Maybe this is the solution. Covering a TE is less about technique, and more about a physical mismatch. Strength, speed, size, and agility. Who knows. Just speculating. If we can get them into third and long, Coples will get to show his improvement. If we can get our timing down on offense, and Greene stays on the bench until the 3rd quarter, I think we match up pretty well against this team.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    I expect the Jets to play ALOT of cover 2 in the game we have some of the pieces in place, The problem is we dont have a LB that can cover sideline to sideline....If I were Rex I would go

    DE-Wilk
    DT-Pouha
    DT-Ellis
    DE-Coples

    SLB-Harris
    MLB-Davis for his speed
    WLB-Pace

    CB- Cro
    CB-Wilson
    FS- Landry
    SS-Bell


    Get Bart Scott off the field the only thing he does is Injure his own players..
    I think your crazy predicting Cover Two. That opens up the field for Vernon Davis ... we will get our asses handed to us repeatedly if we use this approach. If we do go this route, I expect more 2-Man under. Kyle Wilson can play man ... that's why we drafted him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us