Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets may give Aaron Berry a second chance

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets may give Aaron Berry a second chance

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...second-chance/

Aaron Berry was arrested twice during the offseason, and the second arrest cost him his job as a starting cornerback for the Lions. But another team in need of a cornerback may be ready to give Berry another chance.

The Jets, who just lost Darrelle Revis to a torn ACL, brought Berry in for a visit on Friday, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today.

Berry is obviously no replacement for Revis, but no one is a replacement for Revis. And considering that the Jets are desperate enough at cornerback that they’re moving running back Joe McKnight there even though he hasn’t played defense since high school, bringing in a player who would be starting for the Lions right now if it weren’t for his off-field problems could make sense.

Berry’s two off-field incidents got him suspended three games by the league, but players are allowed to serve suspensions while they’re out of the league, so Berry’s suspension ended with the conclusion of Week Three. He is now eligible to play if anyone wants him, and the Jets may want him.
    Its worth a shot since his salary won't be guaranteed. Nothing to lose, if he messes up you release if not then you have another solid starting CB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't bother me, get him in!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has talent. Definitely worth a look. But he is definitely a problem child.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talented player no doubt, just a bit of an idiot off the field.

If his background checks work out OK, he would be worth a shot - but on a very short leash.

You need to let him know it's one more strike, and he's out. And not just one off the field issue either - one missed meeting, turning up late etc - should all be made clear as cuttable issues.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give the guy a shot, if he started recently, he is good enough for me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not the worst idea we honestly have nothing to lose, he's a one year stop gap and you can really position it as his chance to shine. If he screws up he's gone and we're back to the drawing board. Probably the best available CB out there..............Besides Joe McKnight obviously

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this anything more than just speculation on NBC's part?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money View Post
    Is this anything more than just speculation on NBC's part?
    "The Jets, who just lost Darrelle Revis to a torn ACL, brought Berry in for a visit on Friday, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today."

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Professionalism

The reason our team doesn't ever get over the hump and cannot join the ranks of elite teams is this type of philosophy. When will we learn that this type of player is a cancer .

Stop thinking only of the players skills and abilities and start looking at character and locker room chemistry.

I say NO, lets become professionals and not clowns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO if Keller (and Connor) stays healthy after Sunday's game then the Jets will cut a TE (Epps or Cumberland)...This is Epps 3rd week since he was signed off the Bears PS and has to be on the 53 man roster at least 3 weeks (or technically paid 3 weeks worth of 53 man minimum salary, I'm guessing approx $30K weekly for him, as opposed to the $5700 weekly PS salary)...

So that will open up a roster spot.

And in a few weeks after Revis surgery that will open up another roster spot

For the 2012 season, minimum NFL base salaries are ...

1) Rookie - $390,000
    2) 1 year - $465,000
    3) 2 year - $540,000
    4) 3 year - $615,000
    5) 4-6 year - $700,000
    6) 7-9 year - $825,000
    7) 10+ year - $925,000

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ry_for_the_NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    The reason our team doesn't ever get over the hump and cannot join the ranks of elite teams is this type of philosophy. When will we learn that this type of player is a cancer .

Stop thinking only of the players skills and abilities and start looking at character and locker room chemistry.

I say NO, lets become professionals and not clowns.
    are the niners clowns or professionals with locker room cancer randy moss on the roster?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is so pointless that I'm going to give a small present to those who are still here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dKrEDptjps

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    are the niners clowns or professionals with locker room cancer randy moss on the roster?
    Yeah - exactly. There are plenty of second-chance success stories in the NFL. It's not like the guy is on his 8th team. Also, I don't know his situation - but it doesn't sound like he was a bad teammate. All in all - Espc. Given our situation it's worth taking a long look at the kid ourselves.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI...Berry was a Freshman at Univ of Pittsburgh when Revis was a Jr...

Aaron Douglas Berry Jr (born June 25, 1988) is an American football cornerback currently a free agent in the National Football League. He was signed by the Lions as an undrafted free agent in 2010. He played college football at Pittsbugh. Hometown: Harrisburg, Pa.

2006: Lettered as a true freshman, serving on special teams and as a reserve cornerback... played in all 12 games...had two tackles and two pass breakups at UCF.

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sp...y_aaron00.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    HT: 5-9
    WT: 170
    40 Time: 4.49

Biography: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors after his junior season. Struggled with a shoulder injury as a senior and totaled just 31/1/11. Junior numbers included 41/3/10.

Positives: Small yet quick cornerback who plays a big game. Displays good overall awareness, effectively reads receivers? eyes, and gets his head back around to locate the pass. Shows a nice break to the throw, effectively positions himself against opponents, and works hard to defend the pass or stop the run. Shows good overall recognition and picks up assignments in zone.

Negatives: Undersized, easily blocked from the action or out muscled by larger opponents. Lacks the great timed speed.

Analysis: Berry is a hard-charging defender always working to get involved in the action and make plays on the ball. His development last year was slowed with the shoulder injury, yet he has possibilities as a dime back who can play over a slot receiver in zone coverage.

Projection: FA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/47924.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-Draft..Yikes!

March 29th, 2010 By Special to DraftNasty

Q. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted in an article that you have been suspended several times throughout your career for off-the-field incidents, including the final week of spring drills for an "undisclosed violation of team rules." Anything you want to clear up for NFL teams on DraftNasty.com?

A. I'm a good kid. My agent said he had some people asking me if I was in a gang or hanging out with the wrong people. I did have some friends that got into some trouble, but I had to shy away from them... As far as myself, I am not into that. I don't hang out on the streets. I've made some mistakes, but I'm a real good kid and I come from a real good family. I'm just ready to go out and show what I can do. I look forward to meeting NFL coaches and general managers to show what type of person I am. Teams will get to see my personality and character.

http://www.draftnasty.com/football_c...ks-football-w/

Lions cut CB Aaron Berry

Updated: July 23, 2012, 9:49 PM ET
    Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions have been trapped in an unpleasant cycle this offseason: A player is arrested, the team expresses disappointment and then the process repeats itself.

On Monday, the Lions took an additional step after Aaron Berry's second arrest of the summer. They terminated the defensive back's contract.

"We have repeatedly stressed to everyone in our organization that there will be appropriate consequences when an expected standard of behavior is not upheld," Lions president Tom Lewand said.

The team said it cut Berry because of "personal conduct which adversely affects the club."

Berry was arrested twice this offseason in Pennsylvania. Cpl. Kyle Gautsch of the Harrisburg Police Department said he was taken into custody early Saturday morning on three charges of simple assault. Gautsch said there "was a weapon allegedly brandished during the incident."

In a statement Monday night, Berry apologized.

"Words cannot describe how embarrassed I am right now," he said. "I've let my family, my teammates, my coaches and the entire Detroit Lions organization, including the fans down and I'm so sorry. I know it sounds crazy to some people, but I know I will continue to get better and grow from this unfortunate experience, I have no choice but to get better. There are always two sides to every story and the legal process will be where I will tell my side regarding this recent incident."

Audie Attar, Berry's agent, said the defensive back is heading to Chicago on Tuesday to enter the NFL's substance abuse program.

Berry, who is from Harrisburg, was also arrested in that area June 23 on suspicion of DUI, failure to stop and render aid from an accident and other counts. He was set to enter a diversionary program in that case.

That's not all the Lions have been dealing with this offseason. Running back Mikel Leshoure will miss the first two games this season without pay and will have to give up two more game checks for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Leshoure pleaded guilty to marijuana possession in May after police discovered him with pot in his mouth during a traffic stop in southwestern Michigan.

That happened on March 12, less than a month after police in a different Berrien County community said they caught Leshoure with marijuana.

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley was arrested in Alabama on charges of driving under the influence and attempting to elude police in May, his second arrest in his home state in two months. He was also arrested April 3 for allegedly possessing marijuana.

Offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath also had a marijuana-related run-in with law enforcement this offseason. Detroit drafted Fairley, Leshoure and Culbreath last year.

Meanwhile, defensive lineman Corey Williams is still dealing with a drunken driving charge after a police officer pulled him over last year in southeast Arkansas. He pleaded not guilty and his lawyer argued that Williams, who is black, was a victim of racial profiling. There hasn't been a decision made about the charge out of Monticello, Ark.

Berry has been in the NFL two seasons. He started three games last season for the Lions and one in 2010. Corky Goldstein, his lawyer, has asked people to withhold judgment on this latest situation.

But now, Berry is without a team.

The Lions made the playoffs last season for the first time in 12 years, and they return a dynamic young offense that includes quarterback Matthew Stafford and wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Their biggest problem last season may have been their on-field discipline. The most memorable example was Ndamukong Suh's stomp to the arm of Green Bay's Evan Dietrich-Smith, which drew a two-game suspension. Even coach Jim Schwartz was involved in an altercation when he got in the face of San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh after a game.

The Lions did announce some positive news Monday, saying they'd signed offensive lineman Riley Reiff, their first-round draft pick this year. They also signed wide receiver Dominique Curry.

Reiff didn't have much to say about his new team's offseason problems.

"I just worry about myself and trying to help the team any way I can," Reiff said. "We've got some great veterans here and other great leaders. I try to take after them, their work ethic and the time they put in."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...-latest-arrest
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Berry is a great athlete that was never taught how to play the game. In more ways then one he was a young Cro. If someone can teach him the game he'd be dangerous IMO. Thing is that will be very little help this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    After Berry's first arrest he said this:

"I want to offer a sincere apology to the Lions organization, Lions fans, the coaches and all my teammates for my actions this past weekend," Berry said in a statement posted on his agency's Facebook page. "This is not the example I want to set for young people and it's certainly not what my team and coaches expect from me. I promise to do everything in my power to make sure this never happens again. I understand these are just words and it will be my future actions that ultimately will speak for me."
    Oh well, at least Berry was drunk when he crashed the car and not leaving a gay park at 3:40 AM with a male date like Bray Edwards when he crashed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    sign this beast.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks. Somebody has to be the reasonable one in this thread. LOL