Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Go with McElroy.

"McElroy to McKnight" has a nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Currently he is an afterthought and that is why this tebow thing is such a disaster.

Any other franchise would have a player on the roster that they drafted with their 4th round pick, and when their starter struggles in a big way, they turn to the kid they have been developing and see if he can be the answer.

McElroy is a tough competitor, who won a lot of college games, can move in the pocket and most importantly, CANNOT POSSIBLY be more inaccurate then sanchez is right now.

Not being able to at least give him a look, in regular season NFL action, would be a travesty by the organization. Less heralded college players then McElroy (see matt hassleback, Romo, matt moore, etc) have come into the league and showed they belong. We will never know what we have if we dont take a look
    +1, from someone who doesn't think McElroy has a strong enough arm to be a legit QB.

Barring an unforseen return to form for the roster, McElroy is the only player on the team who can make the rest of the season interesting. I know it's far from an apples to apples comparison in terms of overall team talent, but there's no one on this board who can honestly say that they thought Ray Lucas could have the impact on the '99 team that he did.

That in itself should make us fans interested to see if G Mac can provide a spark. At worst, he goes 14-29 for 105 yards and one turnover, which is a better output than what we got from Sanchez this week.

Veteran
    Let's see - McElroy got the only TD in preseason and is used to working with 3rd string caliber talent.

QB McElroy
    RB Grimes
    TE Rueland
    WR Gates, Kerley & White (sign from PS)

Why not? They can't score less than we did last week!

I've read the reports on him blah blah blah

Do I think he's the answer? Not sure..
    I do remember Herm Edwards letting Cotchery languish on the bench for nearly a year and a half and that turned out pretty well.

Where do you people who claim his arm is weak A) Get your info and B) actually watch football because how many games do we actually see a QB with a weak arm?

Just watch the first play of the highlights. The ball travels about 70 yards in the air. If Sanchez continues to struggle and they don't give GMac a chance I hope Woody cleans house before the end of the season because at that point Rex's HUBRIS has gotten in the way of wanting to win by any means necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8

not oc material? based on what? he's already miles above schitty. at least this team doesn't have so many 3 and outs and he at least meets with the qb and offense between series. schitty would go off and contemplate.

as for sanchez, well yes maybe sanchez isn't quite the guy. it happens. a qb looses his nerve and ability to make decisions on instinct. it snowballs and then he's out of a job and out of the league. and all this talk about sanchez needing keller to be his security blanket is all talk. any qb who has to rel on the presence of a single plyer shouldn't be qb. in defense sanchez hasn't had much receiving talent around him since cotchery and edwards left.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I'm all for McElroy getting a shot too, but the bigger problem is Sparano isn't OC material.

Quote Originally Posted by CTjetfan52 View Post
    I've read the reports on him blah blah blah

Do I think he's the answer? Not sure..
    I do remember Herm Edwards letting Cotchery languish on the bench for nearly a year and a half and that turned out pretty well.

Where do you people who claim his arm is weak A) Get your info and B) actually watch football because how many games do we actually see a QB with a weak arm?

Just watch the first play of the highlights. The ball travels about 70 yards in the air. If Sanchez continues to struggle and they don't give GMac a chance I hope Woody cleans house before the end of the season because at that point Rex's HUBRIS has gotten in the way of wanting to win by any means necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8
    The guy wore number 12 because of Namath. Think of all the great press that would produce...

Woody? Are you listening.... that translates into big $$$$ if it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    The rule was just changed with the new CBA. Prior to 2011 there was a "3rd QB" on the inactive roster that could play. If he did play the other 2 QB would be ineligible to re-enter the game.

Here is the new rule:
    Think you are misinterpreting the rule. If you want your #3 to play, you still have to carry him as active.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Think you are misinterpreting the rule. If you want your #3 to play, you still have to carry him as active.
    Where am I misinterpreting it?

Old rule you could play inactive 3rd QB in the 4th QTR. New rule you can't play him at all unless he's active.

i've got a new sig

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Give the kid the next 12 games, see if you got anything in him, and go from there. Sanchez ain't the answer, Tebow ain't the answer.
    Why not?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Last year there was a game where Sanchez played so bad, I had posted that I would have benched him for G Mac if he wasn't injured. Of course I was killed for suggesting the surfer boy be benched.

Andy Reid benched Donovan McNabb for poor play and the next week, he came back and played great. If a player isn't doing the job, you put his asss on the pine.

Veteran
    McElroy's arm looks good enough to me. As per the other thread, Sanchez has been the least accurate short passer in the league apparently. And we know the long ball ain't adding much. If Sanchez lays another egg on MNF - put GMac in.

There is no facepalm gif funny enough to handle a "Greg McElJAG for #1 QB" Thread.

4 weeks in, a McElroy Thread.

The season truly is over now.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    There is no facepalm gif funny enough to handle a "Greg McElJAG for #1 QB" Thread.

4 weeks in, a McElroy Thread.

The season truly is over now.
    Patrick Ramsey.

Very Brooks Bollingeresque, isn't it.

Oh well. Like Brooks, Kellen, Ramsey and many of the other much-heralded Jet scrub backups, people want to see him in because they know he can't do worse than the guy in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Patrick Ramsey.
    Indeed.

The Gift who keeps ob giving in my J.I. posting career.

One could say, as a former "3rd String QB Fanboi Syndrome" victim, I know the perils of such misplaced hope better than most.

P.S. I liked Clemens alot too.

Veteran
    I don't see anyone who thinks McElroy is a real #1 sitting buried on the bench. Calling for him to play is about if and when it becomes clear that Mark needs a break. It's also about having the Jets go down with some respect - if that's the direction where things are headed.

I'd much rather have this team keeps it's heart intact with McElroy than fracture over the course of this long season. Point being - wanting McElroy goes far beyond some 3rd-string fetish.

Veteran
    It simply won't happen, because Woody wants Tebow.

We need to stick with Sanchez as the season will be a complete disaster anyway. If we go to McElroy, we'll actually win a couple more games & not have as good of a draft pick to get a new QB in here.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I don't see anyone who thinks McElroy is a real #1 sitting buried on the bench. Calling for him to play is about if and when it becomes clear that Mark needs a break. It's also about having the Jets go down with some respect - if that's the direction where things are headed.

I'd much rather have this team keeps it's heart intact with McElroy than fracture over the course of this long season. Point being - wanting McElroy goes far beyond some 3rd-string fetish.
    This couldnt be further from the truth IMO.

At the end of the day, football is a business, and successful teams run their organizations like a good company. Fari or not, if we lose it will be in a huge way because of sanchez's play and the second it is apparent that we are not going to be able to make the playoffs, then it is the responsibility of the people in charge to find out if a kid like McElroy can be a legitimate player.

Think about the 2 potential scenarios if this year (and sanchez) is a failure:

1. We dont play mcelroy, so we use a first round pick on a Geno Smith who as a top 5 pick will automatically get 3 or so years to "make it" one of which will be with huge holes in the team that we wont be able to address, as we used our first pick on him.

2. McElroy (a player who won a Nat Championship and ran a pro style offense) turns out to be a matt hassleback type player. Instead of using our top 5 pick on a QB, we get a stud LB, or Olineman and suddenly with revis back, we arent in full-on rebuilding mode.

Burying rookies in favor of "experience" is a Rex speciality, and it is simply bad long term business in the NFL.