Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's amazing how much a meaningless win 5 years ago may have affected this franchise

All League

It's amazing how much a meaningless win 5 years ago may have affected this franchise

Week 17 2007, the 3-12 Jets faced the 4-11Chiefs at home. The Jets won in OT and it created a log jam at 4-12. The Jets ended up with the 6th pick, a loss that day would have given the Jets the 3rd pick and the ability to choose between Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden.

Not only did that meaningless win keep us from obtaining one of those 2 difference makers at key positions, it also put us in the position to draft Vernon Gholston, who, in hindsight, was obviously a horrible choice, but at the time, it was the only pick they could make at #6. The Jets have scrambled to recover for that pick, using 2 other first round picks on players at the same position as Gholston.

We get Matt Ryan in 2008, we obviously don't trade up in 2009 for Sanchez, and we add another weapon somewhere else.

Even if they took McFadden instead of Ryan, who is to say what this team looks like with that sort of weapon in the backfield. Maybe Sanchez's limitations aren't exposed as much, because we have a ground game to help hide them.

One meaningless win in 2007 may have cost us a SB within the past 5 years. Or the next five, because it's looking like they will have to start over again at the QB position.

That was the only venting I wanted to do today, as I had thought about that last week after it was brutally apparent how bad our running game was.

All League
    I agree with the premise of your post, but I can say with confidence that either one of Ryan or McFadden comes to the Jets, with the philosophy (or lack there of) this front office has had the last four years, both would be busts.

All League
    Whether we won that game or not the front office would have found a way to muck it up...
    after next weeks loss' woody has to formulate a contingency plan to clean house for next year. There is too much dead weight from top to bottom

Veteran
    This team has so many what ifs in it's history that it's pointless to even bring them up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Week 17 2007, the 3-12 Jets faced the 4-11Chiefs at home. The Jets won in OT and it created a log jam at 4-12. The Jets ended up with the 6th pick, a loss that day would have given the Jets the 3rd pick and the ability to choose between Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden.

Not only did that meaningless win keep us from obtaining one of those 2 difference makers at key positions, it also put us in the position to draft Vernon Gholston, who, in hindsight, was obviously a horrible choice, but at the time, it was the only pick they could make at #6. The Jets have scrambled to recover for that pick, using 2 other first round picks on players at the same position as Gholston.

We get Matt Ryan in 2008, we obviously don't trade up in 2009 for Sanchez, and we add another weapon somewhere else.

Even if they took McFadden instead of Ryan, who is to say what this team looks like with that sort of weapon in the backfield. Maybe Sanchez's limitations aren't exposed as much, because we have a ground game to help hide them.

One meaningless win in 2007 may have cost us a SB within the past 5 years. Or the next five, because it's looking like they will have to start over again at the QB position.

That was the only venting I wanted to do today, as I had thought about that last week after it was brutally apparent how bad our running game was.
    I was thinking about this during today's game but who knows if they would if took Ryan

Hall Of Fame
    Fallacy of the pre-determined outcome.

BUT.

I agree. I cried about it then. Coaches go into "survival mode" sometimes. They coach for their jobs. They don't care about who is in the draft b.c their likelihood is at stake.

We are paying for the miss on Gholston now. We were able to mask it the first couple of years b.c the rest of the roster was strong. But the past couple of years we have been starving for a pass rush and the lack of one has killed us.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I agree with the premise of your post, but I can say with confidence that either one of Ryan or McFadden comes to the Jets, with the philosophy (or lack there of) this front office has had the last four years, both would be busts.
    I agree with the premise of the original post and with the premise of your post.

The New York Jets are like kryptonite to greatness. They have even made last year's miracle-worker Tim Tebow look pedestrian.

Jets Insider VIP
    YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.....wait, wasn't it Mangini?

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post

X10000
    No weapons on offense drafted, we only concentrate on the D

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    X10000
    No weapons on offense drafted, we only concentrate on the D
    And suck at that. NO REAL impact players drafted in 3 years...arguably 4.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If the Jets drafted Matt Ryan he'd be out of the league by now. The team is cursed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I was in New Orleans for that game, on Bourbon street rooting for the Jets to lose. Of course they won.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    If the Jets drafted Matt Ryan he'd be out of the league by now. The team is cursed.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post

Great job. I remeber it like it was yesterday, after thw win, i said to myself, why did Herm win that game? Why did Paul Hackett call a decent game?
    This organization man, always missing out.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Great job. I remeber it like it was yesterday, after thw win, i said to myself, why did Herm win that game? Why did Paul Hackett call a decent game?
    This organization man, always missing out.
    Considering that Mangini was the coach, I bet you were really wondering why Herm won it.

Obviously, they play to win games, and in no way shape or form was I implying they should have tanked the game.

I was telling that to a friend today during the game. I think we would have picked 4th if we didn't win against KC, I don't think 3rd pick was in play. No point in winning that game at all. We draft DMC and running game picks right back up. We are so thin on O is crazy. I don't think we have a solid weapon on O right now. Ugh, gonna be a long year.

you can play this game with literally any situation in nfl history

You hate to look back like this, but when you see the type of players that Ryan and McFadden have become combined with the all-out busts that Gholston (and Sanchez to a degree) have become, it's hard to ignore.

All League
    If rather have marky mark and his playoff wins than matty ice and his regular season wins. Atlanta hit the "trade up" home run for jones. It's pretty obvious.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    I was telling that to a friend today during the game. I think we would have picked 4th if we didn't win against KC, I don't think 3rd pick was in play. No point in winning that game at all. We draft DMC and running game picks right back up. We are so thin on O is crazy. I don't think we have a solid weapon on O right now. Ugh, gonna be a long year.
    It would definietly have been 3rd, possibly 2nd depending on tie breakers. Dolphins had 1 win, Rams had 3 then 4 teams had 4 wins. Jets got the lowest pick of the 4 win teams.