Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Why Did We Extend Sanchez?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Did We Extend Sanchez?

I'm 100% certain that I still like Sanchez more than 99% of the people on here do, but...

Why did we extend him this offseason. The Ravens are making Flacco play out his rookie contract. Why didn't we do that? I said earlier that he's be cut after the year, but he really can't be cut because we have no cap room. We can make space by cutting the Smiths, and having the contracts of Scott and Pace expire. But cutting Sanchez would eat all of that space, and then some.

If we cut him after this year it comes with a $17,000,000 cap hit. So that's not going to happen.

So what was the thought process that went behind giving him the extension, which has now trapped us for at least another year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I'm 100% certain that I still like Sanchez more than 99% of the people on here do, but...

Why did we extend him this offseason. The Ravens are making Flacco play out his rookie contract. Why didn't we do that? I said earlier that he's be cut after the year, but he really can't be cut because we have no cap room. We can make space by cutting the Smiths, and having the contracts of Scott and Pace expire. But cutting Sanchez would eat all of that space, and then some.

If we cut him after this year it comes with a $17,000,000 cap hit. So that's not going to happen.

So what was the thought process that went behind giving him the extension, which has now trapped us for at least another year?
    the same people who drafted Wilson, Vlad and extended REX after ONE 9 and 7 season made that decision.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why Did We Extend Sanchez?
    Tannenbaumed?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because we struck out on Peyton and the coaching staff couldn't have possibly thought he can be this bad

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree with your premise, I don't believe they actually did not extend his contract. What I think they did was fully guarantee this year and next. After the 2013 season, I do not believe he has any guaranteed money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    While I agree with your premise, but they actually did not extend his contract. What I believe they did was fully guarantee this year and next. After the 2013 season, I do not believe he has any guaranteed money.
    so he's guaranteed to be here next season? i can't see a scenario where they actually go into training camp next year and the jets hc keeps saying how much sanchez has improved. there really aren't many starters worse and even the bad ones can complete more than half their passes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the perfect example of the level of dumbassery that defines this organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the FO was embarrassed that the pursuit of Peyton Manning was made public so they tried to make amends by throwing a boat-load of money at Sanchez so he wouldn't feel neglected.

It's maybe the worst decision made in all of Tannenbaum's time with the Jets (right up there with the Gholston pick).