Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Is it time for the Jets to rebuild?

Jets need 7 #1 picks next year to get back in contention:

QB
    OL
    WR
    RB
    TE
    OLB
    DE

Hall Of Fame
    Like it or not, this team is rebuilding. Look up and down this roster and you will see this team is in need of an overhaul. There is very little on offense that you can point to and say, "OK, we are solid at that position". The defense has 3 aging players that will not be back next year, Landry will be a free agent, and the looming Revis situation.

The only question should be is, should Tanny be allowed to be in charge of this rebuilding? I think there is zero chance Tanny's job is in jeopardy after this season regardless of what the Jets record is.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 10-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I believe Woody will react only when season ticket holders leave.
    Pretty sure they have....did you see the sea of red there yesterday? There were so many 9er fans in the endzones, I thought they were going to for a Lambeau Leap type move.

Good article but where's the Andrew Luck or RGIII of this draft? Anytime you draft a QB there's no guarantees but I really don't love this crop of QB's that will be available and to be honest, with the Sanchez extension it might be smart to let him stick around for one more year with Mcilroy and start to build around him with all the other holes on offense and defense. A QB comes after you've built the talent around him for that QB to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    Good article but where's the Andrew Luck or RGIII of this draft? Anytime you draft a QB there's no guarantees but I really don't love this crop of QB's that will be available and to be honest, with the Sanchez extension it might be smart to let him stick around for one more year with Mcilroy and start to build around him with all the other holes on offense and defense. A QB comes after you've built the talent around him for that QB to be successful.
    This might be the situation that has to occur. With that ridiculous extension Tannenbaum gave Sanchez the Jets are stuck with him next year regardless. So I think the rebuilding will begin after this year but we won't be clear of the horrible contracts until 2014.

Virtually no talent on the roster and while we still have some real stinker contracts on the books. That's a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Like it or not, this team is rebuilding. Look up and down this roster and you will see this team is in need of an overhaul. There is very little on offense that you can point to and say, "OK, we are solid at that position". The defense has 3 aging players that will not be back next year, Landry will be a free agent, and the looming Revis situation.

The only question should be is, should Tanny be allowed to be in charge of this rebuilding? I think there is zero chance Tanny's job is in jeopardy after this season regardless of what the Jets record is.
    I disagree. If the Jets bottom out, I think Tannenbaum is gone. Even more so than Rex. It's hard to say if it's the drafting/scouting that's been the issue or if it's the young player development, but the Jets roster, as it stands, it really bad, it's really hard to miss that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I disagree. If the Jets bottom out, I think Tannenbaum is gone. Even more so than Rex. It's hard to say if it's the drafting/scouting that's been the issue or if it's the young player development, but the Jets roster, as it stands, it really bad, it's really hard to miss that fact.
    i think tanny's had his shots, mainly with qbs. farve and sanchez are enough. he tried, i give him this. he really tried to fix the qb situation. he drafted gholston and wilk and coples. schlegel and harris. wilson and revis. he's been up and down. i think some of these guy would play better with a different coach and different schemes. but tanny doesn't deserve another shot to fix this team.

this team shouldn't win more than 6 games. they should wind up with a top 12 draft pick, possibly top 6-8. there should be qbs there.

Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    Can't argue with the substance of the article, but the conclusion is a head scratcher.

He lists a half dozen major problems, and then concludes we should trade everything we have for a high pick for a QB. Too many holes to do that, imo.

We need to rebuild OL depth, upgrade RB, and find long-term solutions at OLB and safety, and obviously find at least one more WR.

QB is a need, for sure, but we can't leave all those other holes unchecked to fill it.
    Unfortunately I have to agree with the idea of doing whatever it takes to get a QB. A rookie QB will take 3-4 years to develop anyway. Keeping any high priced, aging talent just doesn't make sense. Start over with a young QB, a lot of cap space and build a team over the next 4 years designed to win in 5 years...Build an offense around your QB

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Unfortunately I have to agree with the idea of doing whatever it takes to get a QB. A rookie QB will take 3-4 years to develop anyway. Keeping any high priced, aging talent just doesn't make sense. Start over with a young QB, a lot of cap space and build a team over the next 4 years designed to win in 5 years...Build an offense around your QB
    there are plenty of other teams with holes in their roster but they're not as salient b/c the qb play is better. you don't need a great roster to make the playoffs. you need a productive qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Here is the problem, Woody loves Rex. New GMs mean new Head Coaches. By firing Tanny he would in essence be firing Rex. You can not bring in a new GM and tell him he has to keep the current HC.

Tanny has been GM for 7 years now, the talent on this roster does not warrant bringing him back, I think most of us can agree on that. At the end of the day I highly doubt that Woody has the balls to make that move.

There's absolutely nothing worth salvaging from this pathetic roster of gimps

Here is the problem, Woody loves Rex. New GMs mean new Head Coaches. By firing Tanny he would in essence be firing Rex. You can not bring in a new GM and tell him he has to keep the current HC.

Tanny has been GM for 7 years now, the talent on this roster does not warrant bringing him back, I think most of us can agree on that. At the end of the day I highly doubt that Woody has the balls to make that move.
    woody loved the rex of his first two years of coaching. after this season he may not love him so much anymore. woody wants his stadium filled. the jets can't score. rex only focuses on defense. woody may soon realize that an offensive-minded philosophy will fill his stadium quicker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I believe Woody will react only when season ticket holders leave.
    Lower level season ticket holders are locked in. They've paid their PSL, which is now worth next to nothing. They have no choice but to hold on and will continue to sell their individual game seats off in large numbers. Our stadium will continue to be filled with the opposing team's colors for the foreseeable future.

Upper level season ticket holders are dropping like flies. They have nothing to lose in backing out, as tickets are easy to come by if you really want to go and there simply is no reason to commit to 10 games. The games no longer sell out, prices are dropping (you can now attend a game for as little as $50 directly from the team) and the secondary market is ripe for the buyer.

And in the end, Woody will learn nothing. They'll continue to tweak pricing and try all kinds of gimmicky crap to get you there. It will never occur to them that they will sell out this place at premium prices every year if they just produce a good product on the field. It's a simple concept that escapes these people.

Jets Insider VIP
    As for rebuilding, the proper approach is this:

We aren't in a position yet to draft a franchise QB. You could bring one here next year and his development will be retarded by our porous offensive line, receivers who can't get open, and no running game to support.

Let Sanchez play out this contract. Finish low in the standings this year, and next. Draft up the o-line and the skill positions. In 2 or 3 years, you can go get your QB. With blocking and weapons (and the right coaching), you can develop a kid. But if Austin Howard is here next year getting that rookie QB killed, we're going to just continue this cycle of Browning Nagles, Kellen Clemenses, and Mark Sanchezes for ETERNITY.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    As for rebuilding, the proper approach is this:

We aren't in a position yet to draft a franchise QB. You could bring one here next year and his development will be retarded by our porous offensive line, receivers who can't get open, and no running game to support.

Let Sanchez play out this contract. Finish low in the standings this year, and next. Draft up the o-line and the skill positions. In 2 or 3 years, you can go get your QB. With blocking and weapons (and the right coaching), you can develop a kid. But if Austin Howard is here next year getting that rookie QB killed, we're going to just continue this cycle of Browning Nagles, Kellen Clemenses, and Mark Sanchezes for ETERNITY.
    disagree. this team desperately needs a franchise qb. the way the jets are playing and with these injuries mounting, this team may not win 6 games all year. they should have a good draft pick and be in position to take another qb prospect. there are only a few other teams in the nfl with less hope on offense and at qb in particular. the worst thing they could do is look the other way and hope sanchez turns it around in year 5.

It's going to depend on how bad they are...If they somehow find a way to be 8-8 or even 7-9 I think you're right. Tanny and Rex stay (they're a package at this point) but 6-10 with a roster that is just downright awful it's hard to imagine Tanny back next year as the GM...

I'm all for giving Cowher both jobs.

Couple thoughts:

1. This writer is pretty clueless. No one is making a trade for Holmes, Sanchez, Cromartie, Scott etc with the contracts they have.

2. The blame goes to Woody and Tannebaum. Woody is all about making headlines and Tannebaum was good at writing up contracts not drafting.

3. Sanchez has probably the worst offensive players around him in the NFL. If we had Eli, Flacco, Rivers, Brees, etc. we would still be 2-2 today.

4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cowher in here next year. Woody LOVES headlines and uses that as a way to sell tickets. Why else did we get Tebow? Cowher would be a way for him to make headlines and try to sell seats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    My prescription:

1) Keep Sanchez. He can play well enough for the Jets to win if the supporting cast is good enough. He may not be the long term, elite QB answer we had hoped for, but he's proven he can win big games. Betting the house on another high risk, potential franchise QB is simply too expensive and time consuming right now. Too many other needs.

2) Focus on the offensive line. An elite offensive line makes every skill player on offense MUCH better. Go and find the best right tackle and right guard that the draft or free agency have to offer.

3) Greene is a 2nd string running back. Again, ok with an elite O-line, but woefully inadequate as a playmaker. Stick Powell in there as a stop gap. The line gets better, the running game gets better, no matter whose running.

4) Don't open the checkbook for Keller. Cumberland is at least as good in YAC. Develop Stephen Hill to be a #1. Let Holmes go. Too much baggage. Get a quality #2 to complement Hill and Kerley, and draft a good TE next year.

5) Defense: The d-line has a lot of young talent. The linebackers need to get younger and faster. Secondary is very good with Revis, perhaps adequate without, although lacking depth. Try to keep Revis happy and have him back in 2013. Make sure Bell and Landry stay. They are upgrades over any tandem in recent years. Bottom line: Add some speed to the linebacking corps, and this defense can return to a top 5 unit.
    Last edited by rbstern; 10-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    If its time to rebuild, it should be done by another GM.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    disagree. this team desperately needs a franchise qb. the way the jets are playing and with these injuries mounting, this team may not win 6 games all year. they should have a good draft pick and be in position to take another qb prospect. there are only a few other teams in the nfl with less hope on offense and at qb in particular. the worst thing they could do is look the other way and hope sanchez turns it around in year 5.
    This isn't about hoping Sanchez turns it around. It's about realizing that this team is far more than just a QB away from being good.

There's simply no point in bringing in a young QB next year if he's going to get killed, develop happy feet, and never learn how to progress through receivers and find the open one.

Drafting a QB for 2013 virtually guarantees that whoever it is becomes the next Sanchez instead of the next Rodgers.

Sanchez has a big contract this year and next. Play it out to minimize salary cap damage down the road and to stockpile high draft picks for the next couple of years. With Sanchez and the rest of this offense in charge for the next few, we should be able to get some nice picks.

Build me a monster o-line and get me a Megatron type receiver. Hire me a real offensive mind. Maybe Hill becomes a good outside threat. And THEN draft me a QB. His transition will be so much easier, and the team will contend much quicker.

If we're going to rebuild, let's rebuild. Too often we get impatient and try to jump ahead when the base of the team clearly isn't ready.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 10-01-2012 at 03:32 PM.