Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conor Orr: Jets suffer complete meltdown in 34-0 blowout loss to 49ers

Conor Orr: Jets suffer complete meltdown in 34-0 blowout loss to 49ers

He emerged from a silent locker room stone-faced and boiling with a wide-eyed, blank stare that looked out at nothing and no one in particular.

Jets coach Rex Ryan had just a few minutes to compose himself after his team’s 34-0 beatdown at the hands of the 49ers, so he began with an apology — not just for the third-worst home shutout in Jets’ history, but for the language he’d have to use to describe it.

“I want to say we got our butts kicked, but we got our asses kicked,” Ryan said, each word picking up more volume than the last. “And there’s no two ways, ins or outs about it.”

Ryan was upset about the shortcomings he considers to be in his control — a 15 percent third-down conversion rate from an offense that also had four turnovers, 245 rushing yards surrendered by his defense, and a blocked punt late in the game by the only player rushing the punter.

And he was upset about something that snuck up and bit him — the loss of receiver Santonio Holmes, who injured his foot on the first play of the fourth quarter and had to be carted off the field. Holmes will undergo an MRI today, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who requested anonymity because the Jets did not provide an update on Holmes’ condition after the game.

Holmes, the team’s leading receiver, exited the stadium in a walking boot and gave the Jets (2-2) yet another glimpse of life without a franchise player. Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis was lost for the season due to a knee injury suffered in the Week 3 victory over the Dolphins.

“It’s not one I ever want to go through again,” Ryan said of the challenging afternoon. “I can tell you that much.”

Ryan watched as a 10-0 halftime deficit exploded into a full-blown fire his team couldn’t extinguish:

• His quarterback struggled, going 13-of-29 for 103 yards — his third straight game with a completion percentage under 50. When asked whether it was time to bench Mark Sanchez, Ryan said: “I think Mark is the answer, but again, time will tell.”

• His offensive line broke down, surrendering three sacks and a pair of QB hits. His running backs struggled, gaining just 45 yards on 15 carries.

• His defense lamented its tackling, and even questioned the play-calling and which schemes it used against the 49ers (3-1).

“We had so many problems that you can’t even say one problem above all was the resounding reason,” linebacker Aaron Maybin said. “The fact that we were giving them certain looks that we shouldn’t have given them was a problem. There’s definitely no shortage of blame to go around.”

It was a sense of pain and confusion that Ryan wanted his players to live with for a little while, so after the game he advised them not to show up at the facility today or Tuesday. He encouraged them to dig deep and soul search. One player suggested there were some in the locker room that shouldn’t come back with the same attitudes they had Sunday.

“The guys that wanna roll, they’re gonna be out there,” safety LaRon Landry said of what the atmosphere will be like on Wednesday when the team returns. “The guys who don’t — the coaches will handle that.”

The Jets trailed just 10-0 entering the third quarter but were nearly helpless as the 49ers pulled away in a span of slightly more than 15 minutes bridging the third and fourth quarters. The two most demoralizing blows came when Holmes fumbled after suffering his injury and Carlos Rogers scooped up the ball and ran 51 yards for a touchdown, and midway through the fourth quarter when Larry Grant’s blocked punt set up Kendall Hunter’s 1-yard touchdown.

For the final nine minutes, the Jets appeared to play a road game as a steady stream of green and white jerseys filtered out of the stadium. During the final four minutes, almost the entire first row encircling the field was packed with red and white jerseys. They chanted “DE-FENSE” when the Jets had the ball. They cheered as their backup quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, busted a 30-yard run down to the Jets 3-yard line where the 49ers would finally end the punishment and kneel the clock out.

To describe this, players threw around words like “whipped” and “embarrassed.” They said it was a “wake-up call” and they would need to “eat this one” before the kick in the gut turned worse.

This is a group that knows well what the beginnings of a spiraling season look like, and with the next two days off, the players hope to find a way to make it all stop.

“This was a devastating loss,” guard Matt Slauson said as he walked out of the locker room. “It wasn’t just a loss, it was a devastating loss.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/10/jets_suffer_complete_meltdown.html

good read...provides some of the pulse/perspective surrounding this morass.

^ question NOW remains :

WILL THEY RESPOND or WILL THEY QUIT?

Next Monday night will begin to approach after today....

Jets Insider VIP
    I think we should bring in the Kool AId club here to pep talk these guys.

You know.... the HOW to be a REAL fan club can easily convert that to a How to be a Real player speech.

hint.....

stepg3rayeckes

Jets Insider VIP
    Play the players who play hard, regardless of talent to some degree.

If talented guys are going through the motions, sit them. If a slightly slower guy is playing hard and following his assignments get him in there. And get Coples on the field more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    ^ question NOW remains :

WILL THEY RESPOND or WILL THEY QUIT?

Next Monday night will begin to approach after today....
    definitely.

step 1 - paradigm shift in the cs. readjust perception of this team and it's competitive ability.
    step 2 - figure out which players are being referenced by the other players and plop their butts on the plank beyond the sideline.
    step 3 - let the hungry go hunting next monday.
    step 4 - see where the pieces fall.

you can go down against a superior opponent playing with pride. that's fine. it's when your pride is left on the field that's the problem.

it all starts and ends with the leader rex ryan. hard to cut players because of salaries and contracts. easy to fire the head coach and move on. rex lost this team and its time to hire a new coach who will demand tanne get the players needed to win. a new coach will also play the best players and not play those who hes loyal to. its time. see ya rex.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    definitely.

step 1 - paradigm shift in the cs. readjust perception of this team and it's competitive ability.
    step 2 - figure out which players are being referenced by the other players and plop their butts on the plank beyond the sideline.
    step 3 - let the hungry go hunting next monday.
    step 4 - see where the pieces fall.

you can go down against a superior opponent playing with pride. that's fine. it's when your pride is left on the field that's the problem.
    I wonder who was being referenced here.

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    I wonder who was being referenced here.
    well, i think u can cross landry off that list. 52 left.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Play the players who play hard, regardless of talent to some degree.

If talented guys are going through the motions, sit them. If a slightly slower guy is playing hard and following his assignments get him in there. And get Coples on the field more.
    Not be be a wise ass or anything. Who exactly is talented on this roster? In the skill positions at least all I hear is crickets.
    Last edited by Gibby; 10-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.

All Pro
    Calvin Pace has virtually disappearred. Saw him make one nice play on the sideline but that was it. Shonne Greene looks like crap - not running hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Calvin Pace has virtually disappearred. Saw him make one nice play on the sideline but that was it. Shonne Greene looks like crap - not running hard.
    Greene could be one of those who isn't playing hard. Or maybe he just sucks...

at this point how can even the players tell who is playing hard or who sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    at this point how can even the players tell who is playing hard or who sucks?
    they know...

they know...
    i'd love to know who's mailing it in now, especially since holmes isn't one of those guys. i wonder who landry was calling out on the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i'd love to know who's mailing it in now, especially since holmes isn't one of those guys. i wonder who landry was calling out on the defense.
    Landry's quote doesn't mean it's just to the D? And where is it saying Holmes isn't mailing it in?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Landry's quote doesn't mean it's just to the D? And where is it saying Holmes isn't mailing it in?
    i agree. but i don't think anyone can fault holmes this year. he's been the team's best player at any position - besides punter - by far.

edit: actually, his performance/production has been good. i guess though landry and maybin and the otehrs are also talking about attitude.
    Last edited by Darth Vader; 10-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.

holmes had a great game last week, so i'm assuming he wasn't the target. i am asking who landry was referring to. i suspect he's starting to call out some of the lumbering linebackers who can't tackle.

holmes had a great game last week, so i'm assuming he wasn't the target. i am asking who landry was referring to. i suspect he's starting to call out the lumbering linebackers who can't tackle.

Bill Romanowski ‏@billromanowski

Sanchez doesn't love football and it shows. #Jets